Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 10 of the Promag 10 round magazines from fourfourmag.com. The guy shipped them promptly and I have been very happy with the responsiveness and customer service. The magazines look almost identical to the factory 5 rounders. There are very very slight differences. The fit and finish look good. I plan to test them on Saturday. I will report back. My criteria for success, in my mind, will be zero failures to feed and zero failures to lock back the bolt. I have loaded all 10 with South African ball ammo and some American Eagle. I did notice that the magazines have more play side to side than the factory 5 round mags.

I hope they work. I spoke to the company President of Promag. He is going after the Ruger OEM business pretty aggressively. Maybe that means these things work.

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Dave, Good luck on your new mags. Do they make 20 30 round mags as well? Have you ever used PMI? I have a 10 round John Mason Co mag that works very well. I have another after market (no name) that works about 50% of the time..:) Tell this gentleman that if he makes a good product, us Mini owners will be lined up around the block..........

Larry:ar15:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Tady45
.....Good luck on your new mags. Do they make 20 30 round mags as well? Have you ever used PMI? I have a 10 round John Mason Co mag that works very well...........
Larry:ar15:
Larry, check around in this forum, we have been going over magazine issues for a couple of weeks.
Briefly, I don't recall is ProMag makes anything but 5 and 10 round magazines. You might ask Mark at fourfourmag.com

PMI magazines seem to be popular and work well. I have 2 there work 100%.

Ruger's magazines seem to work the best of all (when you can find them)

The others, including John Mason and USA, seem to sometimes work fine else they are terrible. The bad ones can sometimes be corrected with a little work (there's a piece on that on the forum somewhere also.)

There is a good piece on Mini 14 magazines here: http://perfectunion.com/forums/forumdispla...p?s=&forumid=27

That's a "Mini 14 FAQ". Good luck! :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dave, the mags I ordered from fourfourmag.com haven't arrived yet, but should early next week I expect. Please do let us know how the magazines function at the range.

My 30 round PMIs also exhibit a little side to side play. It's more pronounced, I suspect, with the longer magazines.

How far below the stock do the ProMag 10 rounders extend? I got the impressive probably 1.5 inches or so? Are your blue or SS?

My criteria for them is the same as yours! I was pleased when the PMIs worked so well last week. It takes awhile to load 30 rounds!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DKRichards, That is good to hear that your PMIs have side to side play and work perfectly. After I posted this last night, I loaded a couple of the magazines and inserted them into my Mini-14. With the safety on, I released the bolt to chamber a round. The rounds would not chamber automatically without a slight bump on the op rod (like I have to do on my Garands). I don't know how big of a deal this is. I have to do this frequently with my factory five round mags too.

As an occupant of Kali, I just might have to go on a trip to a free state and admire some PMI 30 rounders. Of course, it would be illegal to actually have one follow me back. So that would be out of the question.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Dave 3006,

I've been following this thread pretty closely. Did the president of ProMag make any mention of producing Mini-30 magazines?

Thanks.
Stu
:sniper:

·
Registered
160 Posts
.....The rounds would not chamber automatically without a slight bump on the op rod (like I have to do on my Garands....
I tried that with the Ruger 5 round magazine and it did the same thing the first time I tried to chamber a round in the new rifle. However, when I ejected that round, the next several chambered okay. I'd not worry too much about it until you go to the range.
Plus, it helps to not be timid when drawing back the bolt and letting it go! <g> I figured that's what kept the first round from chambering, but who knows.

-Doug

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Stu Thorneloe
Hey Dave 3006,

I've been following this thread pretty closely. Did the president of ProMag make any mention of producing Mini-30 magazines?

Thanks.
Stu
:sniper:
Why not check ProMag's web page? They don't have decent photos of their products, but they do list them all.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by DKRichards

Plus, it helps to not be timid when drawing back the bolt and letting it go! <g> I figured that's what kept the first round from chambering, but who knows.

-Doug
I find the most success pulling back the bolt until you can depress the bolt locking mech (to hold the bolt open). If you then draw the operating slide back until it clicks and drops the plunger, you can release and it will feed perfectly. Just let that sucker go, don't baby it home. These guns are designed for this!

If you are shooting mag after mag like I do, and use a brass catcher, this is an automatic thing, since the follower of the previous mag automatically holds the bolt open.

·
Registered
175 Posts
hey guys, my 10 round magazine from mark came in today, it works great, fits snug, feeds just like the ruger mags, and the bolt has a positive lock open on the last round, my only complaint is that i cant get it to lock inplace with the bolt closed, but when the bolt is back, it slips in and locks up just as well as the ruger 5-rounders do. i think we have finally found a decent 10 round magazine for our mini's......try one

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks gutpile. Did you test it at the range yet?

P.S.

I wasn't babying the bolt at all when the first round wouldn't feed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Originally posted by gutpile
my only complaint is that i cant get it to lock inplace with the bolt closed, but when the bolt is back, it slips in and locks up just as well as the ruger 5-rounders do.
gut,

This brings us back to the theory of multiples of nine. For a ten-round mag, load only 9 rounds, for a 20 rounder, load only 18. Makes for better reliablity and easier to insert into the mag well.

This doesn't seem to apply to 5-rounders at all...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've found that if the bolt is locked back you can chamber a round by giving your Mini a good smack on the side of it's butt. The bolt makes a great sound as it slides home.:ar15:

·
Registered
175 Posts
i went out behind the barn and burned off a clip in the new magazine and it works great, and satan i loaded 9 and it works flawlessly with the bolt closed, it is a good magzine, it works as good as factory ruger mags.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Man. I wish I could go outside and burn off a clip in an empty field! Well..., I could. I just would be on the Channel 7 news at 6:00 - I can just see the headline "Paramilitary right wing extremest spraying high power bullets dangering the children"

Dave
Mission Viejo, Occupied Kalifornia.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ooops. I forgot about the danger of lead to the environment and hurting the trees. How insensitive of me.

·
Registered
716 Posts
LOL! Yeah, I used to be able to do that when I lived in the middle of nowhere, Colorado. Now, if I did that, I'd probably end up wounding/killing several. I'd hate to have the SWAT team over at my house, I simply don't have enough to feed them all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was checking out some parts last night & found that TAPCO is selling 18 round Eagle Mini-30 mags. I know hicap mags for the Mini-30 are pretty rare.

Good shooting
Bushwack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts