Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mini project is awaiting delivery of an M1 carbine rear sight from Gun Parts Corp., but decision on the front end is up in the air. I have a compensator/suppressor combo that is threaded 1/2-28 and I would like to use if possible. It's basically an A2 birdcage with an elongated rear section drilled as a suppressor, about 3" OAL, and is a solid casting that weighs about twice what a Choate M14 lookalike suppressor does. Is it legal to thread the barrel of my new 196 series Ranch Rifle, or does that kind of mod make it an illegal weapon? (It will remain in a conventional stock). I can't seem to find anything in the federal regs (that I can translate) to answer my question. I appreciate any help/input, or just your 2 cents.

Stu

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the direction, Bill. I read that FAQ earlier and understood it to mean that threading the barrel does not qualify the rifle as an illegal assault weapon, as long as that is the only "evil" feature (besides ability to accept a detachable mag). It's just that I read of so many people installing the slip on attachments (whether permanently attached or not) I had to wonder if I was missing something. I'll contact several local gunsmiths to get their perspectives, they may not want to risk the legality and it may cost too much to remove and reinstall the barrel for threading anyway. I appreciate your help.

Stu

1 - 3 of 3 Posts