Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think this might be my first post here. I first want to say thanks to those that have contributed to the Mini forum. Lots of good info to be found.

Ok, on to my post...I bought this Mini back in 1987. Its a 185 Series Standard...I've put several thousand rounds through it with not a complaint one. It took a bit to break it in...now though, it drops brass at my feet and will feed any magazine I give it. I haven't had it on paper for years but, 15 years ago, before I put it up, it was shooting 2" groups at 100 yards. Which I was happy with.

This summer, my buddy talked me into breaking it out...Sure glad he did. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed shooting it. So after several hundred rounds, I decided not to let it sit for another 15 years.

lol...there has been a lot of changes in the last 15 years. All in a good way. Many more parts and accessories for the Mini.

So because of that, I decided I'd do a few cool things to pretty up the old girl and try to make her a little bit better of a shooter. I've had the Choate stock since I bought the rifle. Liked it better then the Choate folder I have. And the Thermamold magazine is vintage. One of the best magazine's for the Mini. I have never had one, not feed. Bought several back in the day for $15 a piece. Wish I would have bought more.

First thing was, to install a new front sight. I've always liked Choate stuff, so that made sense. Sight picture is so much nicer and added a little more weight out front. Next thing, was install an angled fore grip. The Magpul AFG2 looked cool I thought, so I rolled with it. Was an easy mount, drill three hole for the rail...tighten three screw's, slide grip on, tighten another screw, done. I have a Accu-Strut SOCOM on the way. Not sure how much it will help but I like the looks of it. Gives the Mini that M-14/M1A1 look.

Next month, a Tech-Sights RR200 will get ordered. And possibly an Amega Ranges scout rail. Still undecided on the scout rail. Will also be doing a Duracoat camo job on the stock. Don't have the heart to do it to the entire rifle.

Once those things are done...trigger job and then, I think I'll call it good.

Thanks again to all that have posted here.

All the best!

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks too all that have replied....The project has been fun so far. Really looking forward to the Accu-Strut. From all that I have read about it = GOOD STUFF!

Quinton: I have seen the new Thermamold. Nothing like the '89 vintage ones. Lots of flex and poor fit in the mag well. My buddy said it would FTF about every other round or so. Not sure what they changed, what ever they did, it was wrong. Its too bad too because the vintage Themamold's just plain work.

I'm also getting back into reloading. Been 15 years since I have and there has been some nice advancement's. Picked up the new RCBS .223/5.56 AR dies. And with the larger bullets that are available now, the old Mini, will be very happy. It like's 62 gr. and higher bullets. Will be interesting to try the 70 gr. offerings.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Accu-Strut SOCOM came in today....Took 10 min to install. Fit and finish is nice. Color is a close match. Now I need to get to the range and put her on paper. Hopefully this weekend. Oregon weather will be the deciding factor though. Ugh....I hate the rain!

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Thermold mags, Jim. Glad I didn't buy any! :)

Accu-Strut Socom looks awesome! I'm getting one for my 185 soon - just saving up the bucks. I'm going to order a second clamp with mine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your welcome Quinton!

My budddy that bought the one wish he hadn't. He had high hopes though, that they'd be like the old ones. Real bummer they are not.

I actually was thinking about a 2nd clamp myself, after I did the install. I'll roll with it as it is for now. Not too worried about movent...Thinking just another spot to pull heat off the barrel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And after I get the Mini-14 squared away....My next project will be to give the old Mini-30 189 Series a makeover.

I've already ordered several new factory 20rd clips for it. And also have a new set of 7.62x30mm reloading dies, for some .308" reloads. Which it really likes. Using the cheap steel case ammo, is great for plinking. Its all over the paper though using it. With .308" reloads, 1" - 2" groups all day long just as long as I go easy.

Here is what I hope to do to it over the coming month's to the Mini-30

1) Choate M4 Stock
2) Accu-Strut SOCOM Barrel Strut
3) Vltor VC-301 Extended Flash Hider
3) Ruger 3 Blade Front Sight (Have that already)
4) Trigger Job
5) Burris MTAC Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.5-6x 40mm
6) Burris Ruger to Weaver Scope Base Adapter Ruger
7) Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte
8) Burris FastFire III Reflex Red Dot Sight 3 MOA Dot with Picatinny Mount
9) Duracoat Paint Job (stock only)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts