Perfect Union banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mini-30 is a 581 series 2006 I bought used for $485. I had to adjust the gas block and the Ruger stock was really sloppy so I got the ATI for it. My eyesight is bad so there is no way I could shoot irons at 100 yards. I'm doing good to shoot pistol at 25. I kept both scopes at 6x so that part would be consistent but the Ruger scope mounts and Truglo scope are better pieces than the scout scope mount and the cheap pistol scope I shot the SKS with. The scope could have contributed to the inconsistent shooting. The SKS could also benefit from the stock being bedded.

straight barrel model
Ruger rings
Truglo 3 x 9 scope at 6x(front of scope does not touch but is very close)
MFS zinc coated fmj
ATI fiberforce pistol grip stock
100 yards using range bag for a rest

I pulled the upper right one so that was my fault. Was fighting the trigger on all shots so a trigger job is coming. My mo-rod is on its way back to me also after being modified to fit the gun's .620 barrel.

SKS is a 1959 Romanian import I built from a box of pieces. I got a Tapco gas rod, firing pin, new bolt and a Buffertech recoil buffer for this gun.

Scout scopes scope mount
had a 6 x scout scope when I shot
but I swapped the red dot back on which is what is in the photo(3 moa dot)
somebody's cheap pin on muzzle brake but it works
same MFS zinc coated fmj
100 yards using range bag for a rest

I've had the SKS for 3 years or so. Trigger is horrible but I found a way to deal with it. It has always shot about how the photo indicates which is a bit unpredictable.

There was an inconsistent 5 to 10 mph cross wind but I didn't do anything to compensate for it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The barrel stabilizer will help but more importantly better ammo will. All guns are exactly alike and shoot the same ammo differently.
I am not certain about the scope and how it will hold up but aside from the other two mentioned ,a smooth trigger will really improve things.

you headed in the right direction. My biggest issue is anticipating the recoil and break of the trigger. It will take a little time ,but capable of more then where i am at.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had to respond because I saw this thread when I was planning to take my m30 out and sight it today in. Because i put a new scope on it. So I grabbed my Yugo SKS to shoot them side by side.
My Yugo is a new weapon to me I just bought it about a month ago. New condition Unissued. All numbers match. Not a rebuild by the monkeys at century. It is battle sighted in by me. Iron sights
I have owned my M30 since 1992 kept good care of it and it is a good shooter. It is accurized, bedded stock I worked over the trigger to 4lbs. ect ect. SKS is totally stock out of the box.
So i got the scope on my M30 sighted in on paper at 25M. Shooting groups you could put a dime over. Balistics put it be dead on at 200yds
I set a bunch of clay birds out at 150 yds and was busting them easy shot after shot with the M30
Then i got out the SKS. First few shots at 150 were misses but close. Then i setteled down and concentrated on what i was doing.. And Bam i smoked the target. Then Bam Bam 2 more went down. I had a few more misses and hits after that but not bad for me with iron sights. Gotta get some optics on my SKS.
I was shooting TULA ammo thru both rifles. I was very impressed with the accuricy of my Yugo sks. Definatly something I want to work with. SKS get a bad rap because many people get them used hard and wore out. But new out of the box they are very good shooters. Plus you gotta love the gernade launcher.
M30 Vs SKS side by side. Both beautiful weapons.
DSCN0569.jpg

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After I get the mini 30 shooting the way I want I may go back and work with my SKS or I may buy a new one. Mine was just a box of parts n junk and is pieced together. I'm surprised it will shoot at all. On another forum people said not to restore the old stock because it has character. Somebody may have sprayed a coat of clear something on it or varnished it though because it seems too shiney. The trigger pull on the SKS is horrible. It actually feels gritty but there is no grit in there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts