Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two. One works. The other is nothing but trouble.

I have had the problem Mini-14 back to the factory 3 times. It does not extract rounds about 5 times in every 100 rounds. The first time, they sent the gun back to me saying they did not see the problem. The second time, they replaced the extractor. The third time, they replaced the bolt.

The rounds are not stuck. I can remove them with my fingernail. I have tried different ammo. I am using factory mags. The only thing I can think of is that it tends to happen after I have shot about 50+ rounds. I use the same grease that I use on my Garand for the slide grooves. Could some of this grease get blow into the bolt and cause it to slip off the fired round?

I don't know what the problem is.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Sounds like familar ground . One of my mini-14 would fire but you had to pull the bolt open each time to eject the spent caseing.I could not figure it out it was purchased for L.E. I figured it out domn where the band holds the gas port and barrel together it had slid off. I guess it was never tightened good at the factory. I used allen wrenches and slid it back in place and tightened it up. A range instructor told me that they were sensitive and you had to keep the gas port very ciean. I hope this helps you out I know what its like to have a firearm out of service.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Dave, I went back to your origional post in Jan 31 to have a better idea of the symptoms. I was thinking the bolt face was not true, but I see Ruger already replaced the bolt, and extractor. I'm shure they checked the bolt face alignment--- on second thought, I wonder? Do you have the std gas bushing, or a smaller one from NW Shooter Support? Have you ever loaded up several mags, and cycled it manually to see if it did it again cool not hot? You may have to send it back again. I would give a detailed description as I could, the frequency, the number of times you had to send it in, plus your cost for shipping, and finally you might mention you have brought it up on this forum, where its 1000 mini owners, have run out of ideas on your problem. Send a copy of this to Ruger customer service, and one withe the rifle. (you need to get them involved!) If they can't fix it, maby they will give you a new rifle? Sorry I can't help you more.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it to the range again and did not use any grease on the guns rails ect.. The exact same thing happened. After about 50 rounds, the gun started failing to extract the round. Also, I got some short strokes. I am leaning towards the theory that there is a chamber problem. Looks like the gun goes back to Ruger....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts