Perfect Union banner
2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  njcioffi 
#1 ·
A few month's ago I picked up a Ranch Rifle as a sort of project gun, to see if I could turn the skinny barreled guy into a decent shooter. Well, it is, I've mounted an accurizing strut and a low power scope, and it's shooting much better than any other mini I've owned.

Lately, I have been experimenting with different ammos (haven't started reloading for .223 yet), and am finding that my mini seems to HATE (accuracywise) everything 62gr. and above. My groups are opening from about an inch at 50 yrds, to about 4 inches (and POI 4 inches high).

It is a 197 series, so it SHOULD have a 1 in 9 twist, I believe, which SHOULD mean that it can spit a wider variety of weights fairly well. Am I wrong about this? Changing POI doesn't concern me, I'm only wondering about such a huge difference in group size.

Any ideas why this might occur given the info above? 55grainers are fine with me, just curious.

#3 ·
In addition to the improvements you've already made, checking the gap and torque setting - tightness of the gas block might help. There's plenty of info to be found in the PU archives.

I have the opposite problem; my Mini Ranch simply hates those lighter weight bullets. It has the 1 in 7 twist barrel.

There also is a difference between factory ammo and ammo that you load yourself. Learning how to hand load is essential to get the most out of almost any rifle.

And this is the place to post your progress. We all learn from each other.

#7 ·
my 189 series M30 seems to like the 140-150 gr slugs I've loaded for it.
surprised me the 147 gr fmj meant for .308 shot fine. bi*&* to load tho.
sure poked a hole through concrete block, real deal not cinder block
Try paper patching a few of those .308 bullets and shoot a few groups. I've done this with some .303 British and got some loads that grouped under MOA at 400 yards.

#8 ·
When using struts, they will tune to different loads and bullet weights. Try moving the foward clamp up or back 1/4" movements, you poi will change and group size. I have mine set up for 55 gr Nosler and it will shoot 65 gr Sierra spbt but I also use faster burning powders like Reloader 7 & 10. Tune the strut to the load you shoot the most of.;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.