Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am really happy with the 1.5 MOA my 584 Mini-30 gets with iron sights. That is using the 125 grain .308" Hornady OTM over H4198, and giving 2500a+ fps from a radar Chrony. I decided to mount my vintage Japanese made Bushnell Banner 1.5X-4X scope.It will make a good 300 yard shooter.

That left me wanting an iron sight, 7.62x39 close up and personal gun. Through the gunshop I work in, I picked up a 100% US made PSA (Palmetto State Armory) GF3 forged classic AKM (AK-47) for $750 out the door. It has all forged front trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier, unlike Century's AKs that use cast. Rob Ski of the AK Operators Union did a 5,000 round torture test of the PSA G3 and gave it two thumbs up.

I got my first AK in 1985, a Chinese Poly Tech "Spiker" Type 56 with a folding bayonet. I had it for about 15 years, until I was forced to sell when I went out on permanent disability. Since then, in the last 22 years, I have had about 8-10 different AKs, not because I love them or am a fanboy, but it is just because they are an indestructible piece of kit, and will still be working when the end of the world happens. I still have stacks of legal, pre-ban, while I was LEO, standard capacity mags.

It will arrive at the shop and go into 10 day Comiefornia gun jail on next Tuesday. Understand, I don't really love or particularly enjoy AKs (or even my AR15s for that matter). I just respect them for a platform, and want one in my Arrnory. I would still much rather shoot my Mini-14 and Mini-30.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I'll overlook this one transgression but don't let it happen again OK?
actually I would not have one unless down to my 5th place or maybe 6th pick. I would pick an SKS - well built of course - over one but that's for the ease of convert to straight pull bolt action which I've done to my 30. easily reversed to semi auto.
sounds like your 584 is good to go - I swapped the factory rear for Williams peep and ramp much better along with HK style front sight for my 189 series.
I'd like to have time to shoot my 30 more I've been plinking w/my Marlin 9mm and .45 Camp guns and my 10/22 on 6" gong @100ms. lot of fun but I need to practice longer range in case of?? SHTF?? I've got a Holo on my 9mm, good set up for aging eyesight.

Reactions: Jonjeo

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will agree with you. First and second pick are the Mini-14 and Mini-30 (interchangeably based on situation. Third would be my 300 BLK AR15, 4th would be the retro 5.56 AR15. 5th would be the AK, and 6th would be the M1 Carbine (only behind AK because of power), and then 7th would be my PC9 Carbine.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I am not an AK fanboy at all. As I have said before, I don't love or even like the AK platform, but I do have tremendous respect for them. An AK will still be working when the end of the world, when it comes.

About 2008, I did a torture test on the AK I had at that time, a WASR 10/63 GP. I lived on 5 acre farm in southern Illinois that had a creek running through it. First, I dropped it in the creek, and it settled in the mud at the bottom. I pickled it up, swished it in the water, shook it, then fired the 30 round magazine. Next I took the top cover off, threw in a handful of dirt and leaves, and fired another 30 rounder. The only other firearms I have that I would try that with would maybe be my Minis.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Thanks. I am not an AK fanboy at all. As I have said before, I don't love or even like the AK platform, but I do have tremendous respect for them. An AK will still be working when the end of the world, when it comes.

About 2008, I did a torture test on the AK I had at that time, a WASR 10/63 GP. I lived on 5 acre farm in southern Illinois that had a creek running through it. First, I dropped it in the creek, and it settled in the mud at the bottom. I pickled it up, swished it in the water, shook it, then fired the 30 round magazine. Next I took the top cover off, threw in a handful of dirt and leaves, and fired another 30 rounder. The only other firearms I have that I would try that with would maybe be my Minis.
They are robust,
Yep, they will last a good long time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts