Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ordeal with the Mini-14 - Pure agony

I bought a Mini-14 about 9 months ago. It continually failed to extract spent shells. I won't go into all the details. However, it was not the ammo, dirty chamber, dirt under the extractor... Over several months, I sent it to Ruger 4 times. I had to deal with the most rude, slow and apathetic people I have ever delt with. Finally, they agreed to replace my gun.

I just received it yesterday. It looks like it was put together by drunk monkeys on PCP. Between the rear of the receiver and the stock, there is a huge gap. The trigger is incredibly bad (even by Mini-14 standards). The gas block is a joke. You would expect to see an even gap between the two halves held by the four screws. Mine has a V shape to it. Near the rear, the halves are touching. At the front, there is a 1/4" gap. And, the bolt stop latch does not have that small pin that runs across it.

Quick questions:

1. What does the pin do on the bolt latch?
2. Will the V gap on the gas block cause it to shoot 14" groups instead of the 8" groups the Mini-14 is famous for?
3. Can I be declared mentally insane for even thinking about purchasing a Mini-14?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Dave,
Sorry to hear your sad tale. I as well just had an experience with Ruger, which was on the other end of the spectrum...After breaking two firing pins in a month or so, my Mini was returned to Ruger in AZ. After about 10 days or so, I got it back and she workd fine...No charge to me etc. Your story seems strange concerning a company who I thought cared about customer service etc. So, where do you go from here?

Larry:usa:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Copy your description here into a document.
Print it.
Attach it to the rifle.
Get an RMA from them and send it back, with the issue list.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Wow dave of all the luck! I agree with Bill, I'd send it back, but would shoot it first to see how it shoots, If it was really bad I would enclude the target.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I heard from a local Gun dealer that Ruger was subcontracting most of their repair work out to Gun Smiths. Depending on where you live they would direct you to send your gun to the nearest place from where you live. And that they were alot of complaints just like yours from customers. At first I didnt believe it, I am a Ruger fan I own nearly every model Gun they made. But I found out the folks at Ruger will lie to you. They changed the design of the wooden stocked Mini-14 maybe all newmini-14s so they wont except Hi cap Mags. I seen it I felt it I tried to insert one of my old mags in it,it would not go in because the mag well was narrowed.I have called them and ask and was told no changes were made, then I pried around a little bit and always got the OH yes we did answer.Others called and were told no changes made. But when the warehouses empty of the older guns in stock and Ruger wants those guns sold first.the truth will come out I called them again last week and ask them again about the mag well changes, and was told we only changed the synthetic stock models. And boy did he studder around when I told him the one I saw was a wood stocked one.I would keep sending it back until I was happy with it. Good Luck Hope you get it straitened out.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Dave yer durn tootin,I'd send that pc of ying-yang back.
Tell em you're mad as all get out.but everyone has a
bad day.Tell em what yer beef is with the weapon.
Most times ya let someone know yer mad first using
some manners of course,then say you can understand
how maybe things got twisted a bit,the Company will
get it right.Now I don't think I'd shoot it.There is no
reason to give em a reason to blame YOU for the lousy
repair THEY did.

I have a sorta of old one I guess a 195 series.
Course it's not old by Mini-14 history,but it was one
of the them that take a hi-cap.I've done way too
much work on it to tell what's been done or how
much.However with BlackHills V-max 50 grainers
I use nail a a pretty TIGHT group.If you go over to
the Accuracy forum and read some of the stuff there
you'll get an idea of how much it costs to make little
holes.Sorry to here bout the bad times with Ruger.
Ya reckon in times like these Gun-makers would be
watching how they treat their customers.

[ I'm sorry if I come off preachin,I shouldn't do this
but I get fired up when little folks like us get screwed]

·
Registered
34 Posts
You sent it back Four times??
When my friend sent his back they asked him to only send the barreled action only, Ruger has stocks there to use for troubleshooting purposes.
Its probably best to take some pictures and call Ruger to get a RA# and document things.
This sounds like they may have sent it to an alternative Smith.
Keep us posted, Thanks for the info...Snowshoe

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow what a bummer! I took a mini 30 back because of poor craftsmanship, but I was dealing with a Gun Store. I would try to enroll someone with pull in on your side i.e. some large Ruger dealer in your area. Explain that you have a lot of friends with Rugers who are very interested in the final outcome of this here dilemma. The Gun Stores know who's boss, even the snooty ones!

Good Luck!:usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts