Perfect Union banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Planning a range trip.

I'll start where I left off, sighted in with a 3.75" drop at 200 yards. Then using this calculator with information available to me, I'll work the problem: 13.86" drop at 300 yards.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
WV. Citybilly
Did I miss it ?? What are your loads to get this velocity and accuracy ?? That is some impressive shooting.

kwg

I'm, seeing it now. You are shooting American Eagle loaded with a 62 grain bullet.

kwg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You are shooting American Eagle loaded with a 62 grain bullet.
75gr BTHP . . when I can get it
62gr BT FMJ Federal American Eagle is my backup

The other ones I mentioned are good ammo, but the compatibility with my scope settings is why I use these two together.

For example
77gr HPBT Nosler Match Grade
This ammo is great. End paragraph!

Nosler groups at about 1" at 100 yards with my rifle, but if I'm sighted in with the 75gr ammo, the Nosler groups at about 2" up and 2" right. So, if I re-centered with the Nosler, and I don't have anything that would use those scope settings, then all my other ammo would be 2" down and 2" left". The more knowledgeable can explain that curve ball.

By the book, this 5855 has a twist 1:9, and per the entire internet, I should be shooting 55gr. But my experience with this rifle, 55gr is a guarantee to "not" be where I was aiming. The more knowledgeable can explain why that 62gr to 75gr range is where my accuracy is found.

You'll have to find what's best for yours. Good luck :)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I have a pile of 62 grain fmj's and I have been collecting brass for the Mini with the express intentions of loading the 62's for it. I want some more 62 grain HP's from Nosler. They are varmint bullets but they shoot well out of pretty much every thing I load for.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Divine Inspiration whispered in my ear that 1/4" clicks on my scope weren't literal, but 1/4" MOA. So . .

x = yards
y = bullet drop
z = number of clicks per 1 MOA

1/4" MOA Clicks = z*x/(x/100)

Apple on a chain at 300 yards
62gr BT FMJ Federal American Eagle

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That’s some impressive shooting, an impressive groups from a mini 14. Whatever you are doing, keep,doing it!
I take the small improvements as they come :)

At this point in my learning curve, I'll have to construct some wind measurement system and learn MOA to account for it. Doesn't take much to move the bullet sideways at 200 and 300 yards, not to mention up and down drafts. My future target is hitting the apple at 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I take the small improvements as they come :)

At this point in my learning curve, I'll have to construct some wind measurement system and learn MOA to account for it. Doesn't take much to move the bullet sideways at 200 and 300 yards, not to mention up and down drafts. My future target is hitting the apple at 1/4 mile.

If you can hit that apple at 1/4 mile with a Mini you will be the king of bragging rights.

kwg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Humm.. That's 440 yards. It is possible if everything is just right.:sneaky:
I foresee a dead-end problem of inadequate equipment and lack of training to make that shot, but that aside . .

Refining my learning curve re: wind, and using the same ballistic calculator, then I arrive at this MOA for scope adjustments.

x = yards
y = wind adjustment
z = number of clicks per 1 MOA

1/4" MOA Clicks = z*x/(x/100)

I compared this to settings in my log book from a 200 yard practice, and it's a starting point.

For example
90 degrees = full value deflection for 10mph @ 200 yards
10 o'clock (300 degrees) would be discounted by 1/8 (.875), and 11 o'clock (330 degrees) by 1/2 (.500), etc.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts