Perfect Union banner

My Mini-14 5855

5K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  wv.citybilly 
#1 ·
Introductions: I'm just an old man dying of cancer. Didn't shoot a rifle for 40 years, and wanted to do some plinking on the way out.

I read a lot about the Mini-14 before I purchased one, and thanks to this forum, knew about some some upgrades and to do's. After that, went through trying different ammunitions until I found what this rifle prefers.

Shells eject @ 2'oclock approximately 8ft.

This is one of the ranges I shoot at, and my target setup at 100 yards.

Lots of humidity that day.

5 shot group within 1.5" @ 100 yards

See less See more
#8 ·
Enjoyed this post … for real . You might have kept me from going wayward.

Your carbine has a great look & you shoot it with a decent level of skill. Nice Job.

#13 ·
Using this calculator with ammo information available to me, I have a 3.75" drop at 200 yards.

On my to do list: Learn wind at target not the same as at musket.

5 shots @ 200 yards

#17 ·
You will not go thru this illness not being remembered as a good contributor to this forum.
Pics are terrific as a show to your knowledge as a good rifleman.

Hoping your future takes a complete turn toward the better.

#20 ·
Thanks all.

Went to the 200 yard range again. I had used Kentucky Windage previously to adjust for bullet drop and wind direction, but this time, attempted it via scope changes.

Wind at muzzle 5mph
Wind at target 20mph in gusts

Wind (from over my right shoulder at 30 degrees) was pushing the bullet about 3" to the left, corrected for.

In theory, one scope click = 1/4 inch, so a 3.75" bullet drop at 200 yards would be 15 clicks up. However, the wind in this case, hit the hill the target was on then, angling up, diminishing the normal bullet drop. Once I figured the buffering out, I corrected for it, then tried to time the wind as wave sets in 3, with 5 second intervals between waves, and then a 15 second interval between wave sets.

I think 3 out 5 were timed about right.

#23 ·
You are shooting American Eagle loaded with a 62 grain bullet.
75gr BTHP . . when I can get it
62gr BT FMJ Federal American Eagle is my backup

The other ones I mentioned are good ammo, but the compatibility with my scope settings is why I use these two together.

For example
77gr HPBT Nosler Match Grade
This ammo is great. End paragraph!

Nosler groups at about 1" at 100 yards with my rifle, but if I'm sighted in with the 75gr ammo, the Nosler groups at about 2" up and 2" right. So, if I re-centered with the Nosler, and I don't have anything that would use those scope settings, then all my other ammo would be 2" down and 2" left". The more knowledgeable can explain that curve ball.

By the book, this 5855 has a twist 1:9, and per the entire internet, I should be shooting 55gr. But my experience with this rifle, 55gr is a guarantee to "not" be where I was aiming. The more knowledgeable can explain why that 62gr to 75gr range is where my accuracy is found.

You'll have to find what's best for yours. Good luck :)

#24 ·
I have a pile of 62 grain fmj's and I have been collecting brass for the Mini with the express intentions of loading the 62's for it. I want some more 62 grain HP's from Nosler. They are varmint bullets but they shoot well out of pretty much every thing I load for.

#27 ·
I take the small improvements as they come :)

At this point in my learning curve, I'll have to construct some wind measurement system and learn MOA to account for it. Doesn't take much to move the bullet sideways at 200 and 300 yards, not to mention up and down drafts. My future target is hitting the apple at 1/4 mile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.