Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introductions: I'm just an old man dying of cancer. Didn't shoot a rifle for 40 years, and wanted to do some plinking on the way out.

I read a lot about the Mini-14 before I purchased one, and thanks to this forum, knew about some some upgrades and to do's. After that, went through trying different ammunitions until I found what this rifle prefers.

Shells eject @ 2'oclock approximately 8ft.

This is one of the ranges I shoot at, and my target setup at 100 yards.

Lots of humidity that day.

5 shot group within 1.5" @ 100 yards

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My second best ammo is because its consistant with the rifle settings of my best ammo, and no adjustment is necessary.

Groups approximately 2" at 100 yards (but some of that missing was probably me, so it's 1.5")

Federal American Eagle
62gr FMJ BT

Logging my shots has improved my aim and ammo selection, i.e.,

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honorable mentions: ammo I've tried that groups well but not consistant with my settings to grab in a pinch (I'd have to adjust for centering):

Creedmoor
75gr
BTHP

Nosler
77gr
HPBT

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
591 Posts
Enjoyed this post … for real . You might have kept me from going wayward.

Your carbine has a great look & you shoot it with a decent level of skill. Nice Job.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Using this calculator with ammo information available to me, I have a 3.75" drop at 200 yards.

On my to do list: Learn wind at target not the same as at musket.

5 shots @ 200 yards

·
Formerly "raf"
2,784 Posts
Damn sorry about your cancer. May I suggest that your firearms go to the best intended people after your demise?

Just writing my Will, and thinking about it.

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
591 Posts
You will not go thru this illness not being remembered as a good contributor to this forum.
Pics are terrific as a show to your knowledge as a good rifleman.

Hoping your future takes a complete turn toward the better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The info in the conversation I started could be lifesaving for you and many others with cancer. Please check it out and let me know. It's inexpensive and could potentially be lifesaving for you. Don't throw in the towel just yet.

·
Formerly "raf"
2,784 Posts
Facing immenent death is a mind-clarifying event, and regret your, or anyone's, facing such. But that time comes to us all, like it or not. Suggest you take all measures neded to assure your continued good health, and to properly dispose of your assets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all.

Went to the 200 yard range again. I had used Kentucky Windage previously to adjust for bullet drop and wind direction, but this time, attempted it via scope changes.

Wind at muzzle 5mph
Wind at target 20mph in gusts

Wind (from over my right shoulder at 30 degrees) was pushing the bullet about 3" to the left, corrected for.

In theory, one scope click = 1/4 inch, so a 3.75" bullet drop at 200 yards would be 15 clicks up. However, the wind in this case, hit the hill the target was on then, angling up, diminishing the normal bullet drop. Once I figured the buffering out, I corrected for it, then tried to time the wind as wave sets in 3, with 5 second intervals between waves, and then a 15 second interval between wave sets.

I think 3 out 5 were timed about right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts