Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Mini 14 tactical with GG&G rail and itac defense RDS1 mini red dot sight.

Replaced the original stock with the ATI one a while ago but now Im going back and forth. I like both stocks and definitely like having a pistol grip but I'm having second thoughts about the ATI stock. I'm not sure about the quality of it and I don't like the fact that I have 3 screws holding on the top cover to the rest of the stock. I feel like they loosen up over time. Maybe some non permanent thread lock? Also the buttstock on the ATI is a tad bit wobly but doesn't seem like it would break or anything like that.

However it did seem like I shot tighter groups at 25 yards with the ATI stock....maybe because its more tight fit? Don't know. Going to go zero the rifle at 100 yards on Saturday and If I get good groups with the synthetic I may just go back with that. We'll have to see and Ill let you guys know if there is a difference in accuracy.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am about to go to the ati for length of pull and cheek weld fit issues. i want instant sight picture with my scope and, for me, the wood stock i have won't get me there. it shoots great, but too much time getting stuff lined up due to the fit for my particular body. If it was a sniper/deer stand rifle, i would probably leave it stock, for example.

whatever works best for you.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
317 Posts
My mini-tac fits me like a glove with the factory stock. Not planning on any changes. Well, except a G-doc trigger job (top of wish list)

·
Registered
650 Posts
with the rail and the red dot, there is no cheek weld and I can't live with that on mine. To each his own and maybe a guy with a huge face would be different. Also, in winter gear the LOP is just too long for me and i am in winter gear a lot. I need the adjustability to get full use out of mine. I really like the wood for range use and load development, but not for most other things i like to do with a mini.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
182 Posts
I love the feel of the factory stock on my Tactical, and the Weigand rail/scope set-up I have is perfect for me. I like the ATI and Tapco stocks, but they do add extra weight to the Mini.

As for accuracy, my factory stock gets 1.5" to 1.75" inch groups consistently at 50 and 100 yards, so I'm satisfied!

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I chose to go with traditional stocks. My Mini 14 came with an ATI stock, but I really disagree with having to remove screws to break down your weapon. I don't know what you do with your rifle, but mine is a SHTF firearm. If you need to take apart your weapon quickly for any reason, then having to remove 3 screws defintely will not help.

Maybe my military background has made me biased, but I prefer being able to quickly break down my weapon and fix it.

Also, when it comes to looks... the traditional stock is much more menacing. ATI stocks and Troy stock all look like failed ARs... the only stock I've seen be able to pull it off is the Archangel Sparta. Yet again, you get into the multiple screws problem.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't see the AR resemblance people talk about. I guess I always get focused on that gorgeous M14 looking receiver! Lol. For me, A tool in the buttstock will suffice. I get the aversion to the three screws, but my mini has been so reliable I don't see it as an issue...again, for me. I respectfully understand your concern though. Honestly in a SHTF scenario I am pretty sure our roles will be different. I am far more likely to be laying very low and hiding with a bolt action .308, watching the world go by. Lol..almost sounds like a vacation. And thank you for your service.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Jimw,
My Mini 14 came with the ATI tactical stock, I want to change to the Ruger wood or fiberglass stock, will i need to use a re inforcement plate and other hardware?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry for the late post (month old thread). Have you tried a Hogue Rubber Overmold. A little tighter fit than factory and has a more solid feel (likely comes with some extra weight not much though). The length of pull is longer than factory which I like and don't like. It handles better for me generally but is less tight space friendly.

And as to the metal reinforcement plate
Factory wood - yes
Factory synthetic and Hogue - no
ATI - I don't know
All other synthetic (Choate, Tapco) - yes

At least that's my understanding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I installed an ATI stock on my old SS Mini tonight. A member that posted in this thread was nice enough to hook me up with it. I installed a Leupold Gilmore red dot on the top rail of the stock and raised to cheek piece and the rifle feels great and comes up on target. I did a quick bore sight but I need to get it outside and shoot some to get it properly sighted in. I like the feel of the rifle with the ATI stock much better than with the factory wood stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts