Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My other thread has some of this, but is really just in the middle. This is to explain the project, and start from the beginning.

The Perfect Mini-14

The current Mini-14 Tactical Models are very close to my idea of the "Perfect" Mini. Problem is, they are 1/9 twist, not 1/7 (like the Mid-80 to 90-s Minis) so do not get the most out of the 5.56 MK262 MOD1 77 grainers. I like their sights, and they take Ruger rings, so you don't need scout mount or wobbly side plate mount. Also the current tacticals have only 16" barrels. The 18 inch barrels really maximizes the 77s, or 55s for that matter.

There are old GB models out there that come close with 1/7 barrels and thread with good sights. They limit you, though, to scout mounts or side-plate mounts (which as a rule do not hold zero).

With this in mind, after going through several Minis, I have decide to create my "perfect Mini".

More pics to come.

Requirements:

1) Stainless steel construction

2). 1/7 twist for MK262 MOD1 77 grain OTMs

3) Ability to use quick release Ruger factory type scope rings like current 580 series

4). adjustable rear ghost ring sight.

5). Post and wing front sight (M1/M16 style).

6). Poly stock (for cutting down weight (though wood with a wood handguard is sexier)

I started with a 1989 vintage Ruger Ranch rifle, as it has the ability to take scopes and has a 1/7 twist barrel.

The mile high front blade sight had to go, as did the stupid folding leaf rear. Initially I used a post and wing front sight cut from a Choate fronyt sight/flash hider combo, and a Tech Sight ghost ring rear.

Most of the way there. I have now added a Accu-Strut "Socom" single clamp strut to give the barrel a tad more stability for shooting distance with a scope. Without the strut, I can break clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm from a rest with iron sights, so it has practical accuracy. As for the front sight, I did locate a factory .562 ID 580 series front sight that I am going to use. I am also going to thread the barrel 9/16x24 the same as the original Mini-14 GB models were, and add a brake. I have a nice A2 style muzzle brake (actual brake) that is threaded 1/2x28 that I am going to hog out and thread 9/16x24. Finally I also have a poly stock on the way.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
man I like it, a better butt plate would do the trick. don't f*&k up a good thing.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was going keep it in a wood stock, I'd go with one of the grooved butt plates. Using the factory poly stock, it has a great rubber butt plate.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,763 Posts
My other thread has some of this, but is really just in the middle. This is to explain the project, and start from the beginning.

The Perfect Mini-14

The current Mini-14 Tactical Models are very close to my idea of the "Perfect" Mini. Problem is, they are 1/9 twist, not 1/7 (like the Mid-80 to 90-s Minis) so do not get the most out of the 5.56 MK262 MOD1 77 grainers. I like their sights, and they take Ruger rings, so you don't need scout mount or wobbly side plate mount. Also the current tacticals have only 16" barrels. The 18 inch barrels really maximizes the 77s, or 55s for that matter.

There are old GB models out there that come close with 1/7 barrels and thread with good sights. They limit you, though, to scout mounts or side-plate mounts (which as a rule do not hold zero).

With this in mind, after going through several Minis, I have decide to create my "perfect Mini".

More pics to come.

Requirements:

3) Ability to use quick release Ruger factory type scope rings like current 580 series

6). Poly stock (for cutting down weight (though wood with a wood handguard is sexier)

I started with a 1989 vintage Ruger Ranch rifle, as it has the ability to take scopes and has a 1/7 twist barrel.

The mile high front blade sight had to go, as did the stupid folding leaf rear. Initially I used a post and wing front sight cut from a Choate fronyt sight/flash hider combo, and a Tech Sight ghost ring rear.

Most of the way there. I have now added a Accu-Strut "Socom" single clamp strut to give the barrel a tad more stability for shooting distance with a scope. Without the strut, I can break clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm from a rest with iron sights, so it has practical accuracy. As for the front sight, I did locate a factory .562 ID 580 series front sight that I am going to use. I am also going to thread the barrel 9/16x24 the same as the original Mini-14 GB models were, and add a brake. I have a nice A2 style muzzle brake (actual brake) that is threaded 1/2x28 that I am going to hog out and thread 9/16x24. Finally I also have a poly stock on the way.
You're satisfied with that pencil-barrel then?

I'd hope for the improved barrel, myself........if we're really talking "perfect."

Otherwise.......looks real good.

·
Registered
28 Posts

The Perfect Mini-14

More pics to come.

Requirements:

Sounds like you got a nice mini coming along, im curious to see the results from the socom strut accuracy wise, do you plan on doing the dimple method on the gas block? Just quick noobie question, I’ve always been hesitant to shoot 556 in my 186 series mini. I know they say you can but I never got a definitive answer from anyone. Looks like you do from this post just thought I’d ask, thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I will dimple. Per Ruger, yes 5.56 is actually the cartridge that it was designed around. Marked 223, as that is all civilians could get in 1974.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for happy with pencil barrel? Yes I am. Without strut, I can nail clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm with iron sights from a rest and whack the 200 yard 12" gong with every shot. The strut is for when I use a scope and want to be a tad more accurate at range.

Next step done: Socom Strut and 580 front sight installed. Lots of room to thread 9/16x24. Shown with Choate front sight that I took off for comparison. I used the barrel groove for the factory roll pin, which allowed lots of threading room. I had to deepen the groove a bit with an 1/8" round file.

Still waiting on tap and die, and poly stock.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im not happy with a 9/16 thread. No compact brakes that I like in that thread. Started over and turned the barrel down to 1/2", then threaded it 1/2x28. More pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought a tap and die set. I have threaded Saiga barrels and some other Mini barrels. Word to the wise, though, get a TAT for starting the threading. (Thread Alignment Tool). I did not use one on the 9/16 and was a little off. I turned it down to 1/2", and used a .22 TAT for the 1/2x28 die.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
OK, next step done. Turned to 1/2x28, and a 5 slot AIM Sports A2 style Muzzle Brake added with crush washer.. Used a .22 caliber TAT and got threading nut nuts straight. Put a .22" diameter brass rod down bore, and exit hole is dead center around it. Last step will be factory poly stock that is allegedly in the mail....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cool build. I'm following along with your mini 14 projects.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
THANKS RI! Asm for the handguard, not for sale. I will use the wood stock set and strut when I use a scope. When in the Poly, the strut and standard gas block will come off, and I will put on my side sling gas block from an old Ruger GB side folder. It has no web for a strut to hook to. Using the Poly stock, between the wood stock and strut, I will loose well over half a pound.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So you will have a Side Mounted Sling ? Went over this over at Calguns but you didn't answer..

Randy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the front sight that much lower than the original? If so, is there enough adjustment in the rear sight to zero the irons?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts