Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a follow-up to a number of posts I made last year about my Mini 300BLK. I was having persistent problems with FTX, FTEject, stovepipes, etc. Methodically, I went through the litany of possibilities, many offered here; they ranged from checking the gas port, trying a multitude of loads, lubrication, and finally to chamber cleaning, for which I bought a new brush and u-jointed handle.

Occasional malfunctions have persisted which I have immediately followed by loading a few factory-loaded cartridges with no ensuing problems, just to make sure the rifle is okay. I have well over 2,000 rounds through the rifle, most of which have been reloads. (Were I to buy factory ammunition, I'd have paid more than twice what my piece cost in approximately a year.)

SOLUTION: It has been my cases. I have purchased over 1,500rds of new and shot-once brass. The reconditioned brass (LC) is supposed to be SAAMI compliant. So I just assumed I could 'load up' and be done with it, but an old-timer at my gun club suggested that I should full-length resize even brand new cases. I did some research online and found many similar recommendations.

Looking back over my records, I could see that cases I'd reloaded had not failed. That's because they'd been resized, of course, and trimmed as necessary--I have a Wilson headspace gauge--during reloading. Most recently, I fired some loads with powder I'd been advised is too fast-burning, and it all works!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Even with neck sizing for a bolt action, several firings will move the shoulder forward to the point that they will barely chamber, and they have to be full length sized to get the shoulder back to where it should be.
Glad to hear you didn't have a re-fried bean gas problem !

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Short, I'm glad you found the culprit in this whole equation! I know you were terribly frustrated and all our "help" didn't lead to a solution. We were frustrated too.

I'm not a 300BO guy, nor am I a reloader, but your post here is instructive for those who are.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I was shooting a lot of .308 for groups, I found full length sizing with a Redding body die, followed by a Lee collet neck die, and seated with a Forster bench rest seating die, gave me the best results. After a few loadings of only neck sizing, the bolt started closing hard resulting in a fls anyways, so why not add consistency with a full length sizing to start with? Glad you found your fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts