Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a few questions. I just bought a Ruger Mini 14 with an extra stock and six high cap mags. I was told that it is a series 183. What does that mean? The guy I bought it from bought it in the 80s. I heard that the earlier Minis are more accurate. Also the mags are 2 35rd Eagle, 2 30 rd Thermomold, 1 20 rd Ruger, and 1 25 or 30 rd no name. What is the general reliability of these mags? I think the Eagles and Thermomolds are new. Any help would be gratly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey virus, if you got a 20 rd ruger mag in the deal, hang onto it they go for over $100 - $130 at gun shows, Ive heard the thermo molds work ok, don't know about the others, ya just have ta try em ta see. If I'm not mistaken the serial # is tied into the date of manufacture. There is a chart on one of these posts. The rifleing turn in the older minis is a 10 inch (slower turn), and the newer mini's like my 196 series is a 9 inch turn (faster turn to stableize heaver bullets, like 60 plus grn.) don't know exactly where the cut off date is except it was in the 80's. Congrats on your new purchase.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have two eagle 35 rd mags that have never failed to chamber a shell, however they do not hold my bolt open after the last shot like a ruger mag would. Good luck

Grinch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts