Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hinting, to my wife, for years that I would like to have an AR.. Last week we're watching a special edition of Preppers after which my loving wife says, "Maybe you should look into purchasing one of those "Army" guns". I almost said you've been watching too "Revolution", "Preppers" on TV, but thought better of it... Don't look a gift horse in the mouth...
I gotta say I almost passed out and my mind immediately went into high gear with the local dealer locations... Then it hit me. I haven't been around an AR since I was at FT. Campbell, KY. I know its like a riding a bike, but I was'nt concerned with storage and ammo... With the latest laws, war, and the government buying up most common caliber ammo. I've got lots of questions. I'm not new to weapons. I've got a Mossberg 583 12g, Ruger Mrk II 280, 3 Hoyt compound bows. Just new to purchasing an AR15...

I've got a shop within 7 miles, but are they the right choice?? I've looked at DTI AR's and seem to put together ok and the price is right. Is the weapon right? DTI AR-15 ECHO 316 .223 $860.00 I do know Colt and used them for many years just can't afford them currently.. I don't know much about DPMD Rock River, Bushmaster (made in Maine, but expensive), Stag???? They all look realy nice on line, but that doesn't do much for hands on research...

Next, Of what I've seen on line... With or without carrying handles, iron sights, fiberoptic, reflex or ACOG??? I know what I had...iron sights, besides the obvious what other advantages be?? I've got just about $1,000.00 up front to work with or out of the gate.. With plenty of time to play around and get feedback I can upgrade as I see fit. But let me say this...My wallet is not an everending supply. I don't see myself with optics that cost more than the rifle it's on...$250.00 or less should do.

The last qestion...AMMO??? .223, 12g, .280 280 is getting harder for me to get unless it's close to hunting season. 12g is almost the same. I dont bird hunt so sabbots 3" is what I'm looking for. I found one site with 500 rounds of 223 FMJ by American Eagle.. Any good? Is it a dirty ammo or ok? Can anyone suggest good, consistant ammo??

I look forward to any and all information, but please be kind.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Stag and Rock River are both good, Bushmaster kind of depends on who you ask. I owned two and had zero problems with them. DTI is one I have never heard of so can't advise. I saw somewhere recently the Bushmaster ORC (optic ready carbine) was selling for $899, that is without sights and a low profile gas block in the front so if you wanted to mount Iron sights you would have to change something out. A carry handle is kind of an obstacle to mounting many optics but if you plan to always use open sights then a carry handle is fine but otherwise I would opt for a flat top model. American Eagle ammo is pretty good, not the best or worst. I use it in my pistols (for range ammo) and would buy it in .223 if it were available. Bushmaster is no longer made in Maine BTW, they were bought out by Freedom Group (who also own Remington, Marlin, DPMS (Panther Arms) and several other companies and are currently manufactured at the Ilion NY facility. Windham Weaponry took over the old Bushmaster facility in Windham ME and are making there own version now. It is also pretty decent, middle of the road like the rest mentioned here. S&W makes a pretty nice AR and comes with a 5R rifled barrel which is the same thing the Army sniper rifles use, have been reported to be very accurate. Before the recent insanity, the S&W M&P15 Sport was about $750 and was considered by many to be a very good buy at that price. I have no idea what they are going for now and if you can even find one.
As for sighting devices, it really depends on what you intend to use it for. A good low powered scope is good for defensive purposes as are the reflex or holographic sights. If you are planning on spending a lot of time punching paper or hunting, you might want to go with a variable like 3-9x40. If your plan is a SHTF rifle, you probably want to stick to something that does not require batteries. Standard old military issue carry handle with peep and post sights are hard to beat if your eyesight is up to the task. I think the best way to start would be with a flat top model with removable carry handle. That way you are able to shoot it right out of the box and as you can afford to and have some more time to do research you can always add other optics later.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodstock thanks for reading and the quick reply. I've got some thinking to do as well as trying to get my hands on some weapons.. If you can name some ammo of the good-better quality, also ammo to stay away from I would greatful. Thanks again.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Some would say stay away from the steel case stuff such as Wolf, Tulammo or Silver Bear, I have shot a good bit of it without problems but it does tend to be a little dirty. Of the Brass cased ammo, right off the top of my head I would say PMC and American Eagle are some of the cheaper stuff but is still good ammo in my opinion. The way things are right now pretty much grab what ever you can find at a decent price. A few months ago I could by PMC for $350 per thousand rounds. Now you are lucky to find it for $750. Of the Better ammo I would say Lapua, Hornady, Black Hills, Federal Match, there are just so many brands out there and so many opinions, like I said, right now, anything you can find for .75 per round or less is worth grabbing IMO.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Here is the one I was talking about: Bushmaster M4 Optics Ready Carbine 16" Barrel .223
It actually says that they sell a flip up sight that mounts over the low pro gas block. Some will disagree but to me this is an excellent deal. Especially the way things are right now. This is the same price they sold for before all the insanity started, I know because I bought one.

401 Posts
Check it Out

Here is the one I was talking about: Bushmaster M4 Optics Ready Carbine 16" Barrel .223
It actually says that they sell a flip up sight that mounts over the low pro gas block. Some will disagree but to me this is an excellent deal. Especially the way things are right now. This is the same price they sold for before all the insanity started, I know because I bought one.
Cheaper than Dirt has the same Carbine for $1,600!?!?! Now that is gouging.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-90391

· Registered
76 Posts
Build one... you'll have: better upper and lower, barrel, gas block, BCG, stock and fore end...Aero Precision upper and lower, black hole weaponry barrel, spikes BCG, Yankee Hill 2 rail gas block, magpull fore end, pistol grip, and CTR stock, Pikes ST-t2 buffer, Yankee Hill gas block riser, and magpull front and rear flip up sights...all on a mid length gas system... and for about the cost of a bushmaster...that has nothing!

· Registered
182 Posts
Now He Shows Me

...Some will disagree but to me this is an excellent deal. Especially the way things are right now. This is the same price they sold for before all the insanity started, I know because I bought one.
Excellent find woodstock! :cool:

Priced right too!

I'd jump on that deal in a heartbeat if I didn't already own an AR I'm happy with.

You get to own a complete rifle now and not have to try to find a bunch of unavailible parts...then you could upgrade in the future if you wish, or leave it as is and add your choice of optics.

I've always known Bushmaster AR's have a well deserved reputation for quality anyway...dang it! :angry:

I e-mailed that one to my friends!

· Registered
343 Posts
DTI is Del-Ton Industries; they seem to make pretty good stuff,
I've had no issues with the upper I had. (I don't own any guns any more)

Don't try to build one at this time - it will cost you an arm and a leg, not to mention getting stressed out trying to find parts!

· communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have a Delton Echo 316/MOE Carbine and its a solid carbine. Mine is topped with an eotech 512 with magpul back up sights and its a solid and accurate setup.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all very much... Lots of recommendations, lots of choices.. Well impatience and a cheap price won out.. I bought a DTI AR 5.56 .223 front fixed post sight and MAGPUL flip rear peep, a 30 round P-mag and 100 rounds of ammo for $1000.00. Zeroing was a breeze.. I amazed at how quick it all came back, my DI's would be proud.. FT. Bliss 1986, MDI SFC Makell, thanks.
I'll post a pic a soon I get them uploaded to my PC..

Thanks again.

· Registered
57 Posts
You'll be pleased with your Del-Ton. They make a nice basic rifle and you don't have to pay extra for the name. Teach your wife how to use it and get her one also. I'm a fan of a basic rifle to keep it lightweight, and I'm also a fan of having friends with lightweight rifles too :)

· Registered
7 Posts
My first AR was a Bushmaster Carbon 15 , I still own this rifle the only thing I did was put a Magpul stock and grip with a multi point sling attachment . I also added an Eotech XPS, with all this the rifle is very light about 6 lbs. I haven't had any problems with this rifle no FTF , FTE or any malfunctions . I know it isn't a HK or anything but for $650 it wasn't a bad purchase.

· Registered
54 Posts
I always wanted a AR also and didn't know the first thing about them. I'm sure you know a lot more then me. I went with 1 costumer and gun store advise and got a Sig M400. All I can say is the one I have is very accurate, functions perfect and will shoot steel or brass. Well I'm no expert but very satisfied. With my bad skills, I have to say it makes me feel like a pro.

As for as ammo, can't say much. I had a good supply before all this mess started. Guess I feel lucky cause the last time I did check nobody had any, and when they did I thought they must have been Gold. The ones I was getting went from $5.97 to $29.99 a box. For now my AR is just a Show & Tell, the shoot & tell days are over, at least for now.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
My local dealer had some American Eagle on the shelf yesterday. First .223 ammo I have seen in a while. 13.99 a box! That is still 70 cents a round. I will just keep reloading until all the supplies are dried up. Not paying 70 cents a round for .223....yet.

· Registered
182 Posts
...I bought a DTI AR 5.56 .223 front fixed post sight and MAGPUL flip rear peep, a 30 round P-mag and 100 rounds of ammo for $1000.00.
I'll post a pic a soon I get them uploaded to my PC...
I'd like to check it out when you download some pictures.

...I went with 1 costumer and gun store advise and got a Sig M400. All I can say is the one I have is very accurate, functions perfect and will shoot steel or brass. Well I'm no expert but very satisfied...

As for as ammo...
They gave you good advice in my humble opinion, I'm really pleased with my M-400 purchase...well what's left of the original parts anyway. :cool:

My local dealer had some American Eagle on the shelf yesterday. First .223 ammo I have seen in a while. 13.99 a box! That is still 70 cents a round. I will just keep reloading until all the supplies are dried up. Not paying 70 cents a round for .223....yet.
Best I've seen so far is sixty cents a round at the last gun show I attended.

Didn't buy any.

Reloading has always been a good idea if your trying to obtain ammo that costs a little less than factory new, and it seems like an even better idea today, given current ammo costs.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
I'm to the point of having to substitute powders. I just used the last of my H335. I have a pound of Benchmark to use next but I have to work up a load for it before I can get too serious. I may start loading my 5.56 brass with Accurate A2200 if something doesn't happen soon with the powder situation. I have plenty of that and plenty for my .45 and .243. It's just powder for .223 that I am hurting on. Maybe things will start to get better soon.

· Registered
182 Posts
I have enough components now to make about 400 more reloads on top of what I have, and the closest gun shop here just got in a bunch of Varget powder, but it wouldn't do me much good without more bullets & primers to go with it. :(

Time will tell...I'm thinking positive. :)

· Registered
3,368 Posts
I can get primers, bullets are kind of scarce. Seems to be plenty of 75gr Hornady A Max out there but not much otherwise. I bought 400 64gr Winchester Power Points off gunbroker for a decent price. I wish someone around here had some Varget.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.