Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a Stag Arms model 3 a few months back, after looking and researching which AR to buy. I finally got the green light from the wife. She told me if I would not buy the AR15, she would buy me NOS for my corvette and a hand gun. I think I am like most on here, we purchased our guns for a few reasons ... If we have a home invasion NOS will do nothing where as the AR can. So when I came home with the new AR, I had no ammo for it. This is not useful if someone had broke into our house. I knew I needed Ammo.

After researching for cheap ammo for target shooting, I went to Walmart a few weeks later and purchased almost 180 rounds of Tula Ammo. Before the bashing starts please keep reading. Tula had mixed reviews. Some said Tula steel will hurt your AR and others said they shoot thousands of rounds of Tula and they love it. Let me first say this the Steel on Tula ammo is very soft. So I don't see how it would hurt your AR from the steel itself.

I had gone down to my local out door range. I had shoot the first 10 rounds with out any issues. I had changed to a 30 round mag and shoot only one round before the stag arm would not feed the cheeper ammo. Seems odd right?

I took it apart and the gun seemed to be working just fine. I tried it again it would fire one round and now the steel case would not eject. So we finally got the case out and one of the guys there gave me 10 rounds of brass, to see if I have a lower issue or if it was an ammo issue. It does appear my AR does not like steel ammo. I had purchased some brass ammo and had no issues not a one...

I felt so bad this last time that I was at the range because this other guy thought he would do the same thing and go cheap on ammo and purchased Wolf ammo and he had the same issues but this time the steel case would not eject and they could not get it out..

So my final thought is this..... If your AR will take this ammo than it is cheap and fun to shoot. If my life was dependent on this ammo I would have been died with the malfunctions I had with this ammo. I personally will never purchase this ammo again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its been long believed that is a Gun cant Shoot steel ammo then it is the gun, not the ammo. I shoot Brown Bear Ammo from my Del-Ton AR no problem. I shoot Brown Bear 9mm out of my Tanfoglio Witness no problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will kindly disagree... If my AR would have problems feeding the Brass ammo than I would say it was Stags Arms problem. Although it had no issues with the Brass just the steel ammo. It is kind of like saying... you own a sports car yes the car can run with regular unleaded but to get peak performance you will need to have Premium Unleaded gas.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Steel expands and contracts at a different rate than brass. When a cartridge is fired it expands to the limits of chamber size then contracts a slight bit. If your rifle has a tighter chamber, steel may not contract fast enough to cycle in that particular rifle. That is not to say there is anything wrong with your rifle. Some shoot steel ammo fine, others don't. Again, that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with yours.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My M400 will shoot brass or steel and never had a problem, it seems to me from experance each gun may be different, the next guy that gets a M400 may not be able to shoot steel, I often wonder if the more we shoot and clean our guns and get them broke in good, then maybe thay will shoot both. If someone has experanced this let us know, it will be good to know for the ones who has this problem to know what to expect and at least hold on to your steel ammo and can use it later.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought 7 boxes of Tul Ammo today. Plan on shooting some this weekend. I will update this topic with how it runs in my AR.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
It's carbon getting back in the chamber. Invest in a bore snake and use it at the first sign of a stoppage. Repeats as required. kwg

·
Registered
38 Posts
It all depends on the gun. Some people dont have problems with steel ammo but others do. I dont yet own an AR or Mini and the only .223 rifle I own is a bolt action so I dont exactly fly through ammo fast enough to justify buying steel ammo. If I had a semi auto in .223 or 7.62x39 or 5.45x39, I would probably be shooting much more ammo and therefore I'd probably try out the steel ammo to offset the cost. But I have been at the range and seen people shooting Tulammo and others like Silver Bear I think it was with apparently no problems. If you owned a Russian or eastern Euro AK47, then You'd probably be good to go with steel ammo!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts