Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1) 1978 Ruger 181 Series Mini-14 GB Model, LE Only 5.56. - Just Because it is cool, and always wanted one when I was an LEO
2) 2021 Ruger 584 Series Mini-30, 7.62x39, Stainless/wood - Goblin, Zombie, Troll, and Raving Insurrectionist whacker.
3) 2020 Ruger 584 Series Mini-14, 300 BLK (7.62x35) Blue/poly (though in wood now...) Primary Home Defense Carbine "Daddy's Little Thumper.."
4) 1972 Ruger 10-22, 22 LR blued/walnut Small game, plinking, sh*ts and giggles
5) 2019 Ruger PCC 9 Carbine, 9mm threaded with High-viz sight Secondary Home defense, takes same mags as my Glock 19 and 26.

· Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a Ruger, but their big brother...

My new Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 M1A.:D Picked up on a private party transfer with seven 10 round mags, all Springfield Armory crossed Cannon marked. $2,000 with DROS. Mags run $40 a piece for SA ones, so I think I did OK. I have a SIG Romeo 5 red dot (with Mo-Tac on off switch) that is looking for a home. Might try it on this instead of my Mini-30...

· Cognitive Dissident
3,634 Posts
That's a nice group of rifles.

I have a similar group. The newest is my PC-9.

Have you put many rounds through yours?

How do you rate the reliability?

· Registered
8,795 Posts
been awhile since this thread was active so I'll give it a kick.
I've shot mostly import 124 gr ball in my Marlin 9 with the occasional magfull of handload +P 124 gr Rem 'golden saber' (expensive slugs now). as with most higher velocity ammunition groups begin to open up but around 2 M.O.A. off a rolled up sleeping bag rest at 50 yd is normal. I have a holo sight on mine.as light as it is if I had to ruck it a few hi-cap mags and boxes of +P ammo I would feel well armed in SHTF scenario.

· Registered
73 Posts
Ooh, ooh, I want to play! 🙋‍♂️

1) Gunsite Scout Rifle left hand chambered in .308, sporting a Burris 2-7x Scout Scope (I know, I know, it's not a semi-auto - but I didn't want it to feel left out of the Ruger family photo) ;)

2) PC Carbine chambered in 9mm, sporting a Vortex Sparc II and a Glock factory 24 round magazine

3) 10/22 with a Butler Creek heavy barrel in a Magpul Hunter X-22 stock, sporting a Bushnell 3-9x scope

4) 188-series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle .223 in a Clark Custom Guns laminated stock, sporting a Williams Receiver Sight and an aftermarket flash hider/bayonet lug

5) 584-series Mini-14 Tactical 5.56 in a Samson Mfg. folding stock, sporting a Vortex Venom on a GG&G mount

6) 580-series Mini-14 Tactical stainless .223 in a Samson Mfg. folding stock, formerly issued to the St. Lucie County (FL) Sheriff's Office
Wood Tool Line Air gun Gun accessory

· Registered
73 Posts
1) 1978 Ruger 181 Series Mini-14 GB Model, LE Only 5.56. - Just Because it is cool, and always wanted one when I was an LEO
2) 2021 Ruger 584 Series Mini-30, 7.62x39, Stainless/wood - Goblin, Zombie, Troll, and Raving Insurrectionist whacker.
3) 2020 Ruger 584 Series Mini-14, 300 BLK (7.62x35) Blue/poly (though in wood now...) Primary Home Defense Carbine "Daddy's Little Thumper.."
4) 1972 Ruger 10-22, 22 LR blued/walnut Small game, plinking, sh*ts and giggles
5) 2019 Ruger PCC 9 Carbine, 9mm threaded with High-viz sight Secondary Home defense, takes same mags as my Glock 19 and 26.

Would love to get my hands on a GB to add to my collection. And if I ever win the lottery, an AC556 is the first full auto on my list.

Reactions: M92PV4U

· Formerly "raf"
4,301 Posts
For various reasons, I have "taught" myself to shoot various rifles either right-handed or left-handed. Most often this depends on where the Op-rod/Charging handle lies.

I find that shooting the Mini-14/-30 is almost ideal for Left-handed shooters; same for the M1, M1A, and the M-1 Carbine. The FAL was set up for right-handed shooters, like it or not. Adapt and Overcome.

This was all brought about with my personal eye issues, since resolved. I was forced to shoot some rifles "lefty-style" and in doing so I discovered that "some" rifles are better and more efficiently shot "lefty-style" than conventional "righty-style".

That said, knowing how to shoot your semi-auto rifle either right-handed or left-handed might be a valuable skill, and worth some practice. It will likely seem difficult at first but be persistent and you might find a whole new world in front of you. I did.

As an adjunct, I take every possible measure to add Ambidextrous features to rifles which lend themselves to doing so. Same reasons.

· Registered
3,461 Posts
I'd like to have a Ruger bolt - wish they made a straight pull bolt like that Swiss Rubin - in .357 and/or X39
nice guns shown.
I have a Ruger American in .223. I see no need for a straight pull but you could always plug the hole on your Mini and use the charging handle as your straight pull.

kwg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts