Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Range day...well range 2hours and after a very quick sight in I can say Im happier then a pig in mud.

Rifle: 581 Mini 30 choate handguard, ati stock, Truglo 5 moa red dot on weigand rail.

Magazines used:

-Eagle 18 round plastic: Fed OK, hard to seat.
-Millet 18 round plastic: Fed OK, pretty cumbersome.
-Random 10 round blue steel: TERRIBLE! Hard to feed the first round and the last round was impossible to load. Absolute garbage, but Im going to "persuade" it with my grinder and see if I can fix them.
-Ruger 5 round: Flawless. Perfect.
-Ruger 20 round: Flawless. Perfect.

50 Wolf Military classic: Good grouping, zero fail to fire.
50 Brown Bear laquer: Good Grouping, zero fail to fire.

All feed issues were due to crappy mags, the plastic ones were OK nothing great but fine for plinking. Wouldnt rely on them for anything but range time. After both types of rounds the rifle was surprisingly clean. Rifle was cleaned, lubed and greased after the range.

All in all VERY impressed with the rifle and seriously considering ordering another 5 ruger mags.

Here is my sighting in target, nothing special but again this was from fresh optic install to sighted in 100 yards.

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! As I get ammo, optics, magazines etc I plan to test as best as I can. I wish I had a link to the eagle or millett magazines but I got them at brick and mortar.

All in all though I find no discernible difference in my buddies Sig Sauer m400 with a slightly better red dot and my mini 30(besides recoil). Granted neither are accurized yet.

· Registered
3 Posts
I just got a new Mini-30 tactical and I'm dying to test her out. I've been waiting to buy brass to break her in...

I have a surplus of wolf, tulammo, and brown bear for my AK, but all I've read is terrible things when running through the Mini-30. You have had no problems with wolf? And, you'd recommend it?

Have you mad any mods to the hammer spring?

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got a new Mini-30 tactical and I'm dying to test her out. I've been waiting to buy brass to break her in...

I have a surplus of wolf, tulammo, and brown bear for my AK, but all I've read is terrible things when running through the Mini-30. You have had no problems with wolf? And, you'd recommend it?

Have you mad any mods to the hammer spring?
Stock mini 30. The only effective mod it has is the choate handguard for better cooling. Other then that everything function wise is stock and the rest is aesthetic. The mini ate wolf military classic and brown bear just the same, never shot tulammo as I havent heard anything good about them. Brown bear seems to have good reviews in the 30, wolf not so much (but works perfect so far in my 30). Seems to also be effected by the break in period for the rifle.

My only advice I can give you is run the wolf and brown bear through the mini and whatever you have a problem with the ak should eat it fine. I hope your 30 isnt picky like mine. :)

· Registered
3 Posts
Stock mini 30. The only effective mod it has is the choate handguard for better cooling. Other then that everything function wise is stock and the rest is aesthetic. The mini ate wolf military classic and brown bear just the same, never shot tulammo as I havent heard anything good about them. Brown bear seems to have good reviews in the 30, wolf not so much (but works perfect so far in my 30). Seems to also be effected by the break in period for the rifle.

My only advice I can give you is run the wolf and brown bear through the mini and whatever you have a problem with the ak should eat it fine. I hope your 30 isnt picky like mine. :)
Okay, cool... I've been searching around for someone with an opinion about this. I've just found old findings from years ago, and I've wondered if Ruger beefed up the hardware in this model.

I also have a variety of mags on hand, ProMag metal and polymer, Eagle polymer, and other no names (which I doubt will work).

I'll give her a try this weekend, as there's no brass 7.62 around my area. Might as well see for myself, and I'll give my results. Thanks!

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck! I found the aftermarket magazines to range from so-so to total crap. Just dont blame the rifle for crappy aftermarket magazines. Mine worked well with most of them and perfect with the factory mags, but I found the no name (to me) blued metal 10 rounders horrific even for plinking. Youre results may vary of course.

· Registered
265 Posts
I came across a used mini 30 factory 5 rd mag in excellent condition if anyone is interested. I have no use for it.

· Registered
265 Posts
I'm not sure what its worth. Pm me an offer I suppose

· Registered
3 Posts
Good luck! I found the aftermarket magazines to range from so-so to total crap. Just dont blame the rifle for crappy aftermarket magazines. Mine worked well with most of them and perfect with the factory mags, but I found the no name (to me) blued metal 10 rounders horrific even for plinking. Youre results may vary of course.
Finally went to the range to break in my new Mini Tac 30 and this is what I found. The Hornady VMax Steel Case ammo worked great, no fails, but very pricey! Wolf Classic Military: 1 out of 4 would fail (deep primer strikes but no bang). No problems with the Ruger mags, of course. And, no problems with the metal Promag 30rnds.

I'm still waiting on Golden Bear brass 7.62 and put in a back order on MFS zinc plated 7.62, as I've read good things.

My new Bushnell TRS-25 red dot worked great with a strong red dot on bright sunny range. Seemed very easy to sight in, just a couple clicks.

That's it for now :)

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Finally went to the range to break in my new Mini Tac 30 and this is what I found. The Hornady VMax Steel Case ammo worked great, no fails, but very pricey! Wolf Classic Military: 1 out of 4 would fail (deep primer strikes but no bang). No problems with the Ruger mags, of course. And, no problems with the metal Promag 30rnds.

I'm still waiting on Golden Bear brass 7.62 and put in a back order on MFS zinc plated 7.62, as I've read good things.

My new Bushnell TRS-25 red dot worked great with a strong red dot on bright sunny range. Seemed very easy to sight in, just a couple clicks.

That's it for now :)
The Golden Bear is copper washed steel case, but you will still be happy with it. Silver Bear is just as good and its zink washed steel..

· Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anything bear Id snatch up in a heartbeat.

Was funny sighting in my mini 30 with a cheap truglo red dot and cheap russian steel took 1/10th the time my buddy and his AR15 with a nice $100+ reflex and brass took. My friend also thinks my 30 is more accurate too. I am extremely happy with the 30. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.