Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a few pictures of my new 581+ series SS Mini 14, I've had it for about 2 months and decided to see if I could fit it into an older 184+ series all wooden stock with the wooden handguard, It only took a small amount of careful chisel work to remove about a 1/4" X 1/8" X 2" strip from within the right hand side inside the receiver area, afterwards I cleaned up and finished with a little Dremel work, took about an hr and it fits and shoots rock solid, The wooden handguard snapped right on! plus I still have my synthetic stock that it came with. I also added the quick disconnect for the bi-pod that I read about on this forum, also had the front sight moved back and the barrel threaded, I chose the Smith muzzle brake and I'm happy with it's performance. This Mini shoots nice groups, the pictured target is from 100 yrds shot using the just the bi-pod while I kneeling in front of a big rock, benching properly produces better groups. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and absolutely love it, Nice to be amongst Mini lovers! I have used lots of advice from here find it relaxing after a days work to read through...Hope everyone has a great day..."God Bless America" PICT0380.jpg

PICT0382.jpg

PICT0372.jpg

PICT0384.jpg SG

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, It wasn't that hard to do and I also love the "Wood & Steal" look especially with the wooden handguard. It's nice to have the older Retro Look but the performance of the new 581 series...:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any Ideas for a good "see under" weaver style scope mount? The one pictured is a UTG with the set screws and it holds steady and firm, problem is stretching my neck to get close enough to the scope, If you look you can see where I actually cut the front portion off the UTG mount and added it to the rear by drilling and counter sinking the two pieces and then tapping an aluminium strip underneath, added JB weld and locktite red and tightened it all down. The results are good, scope is now far enough back and its actually very solid and doesn't move at all, I just think it looks a tad funny?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
First off great looking modification!!! Nice set up, but why did you go with a rail mount like that and not use the Ruger rings that came with it? I would think that would clean up some of your issues and stabilize your scope better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Drew, I was stuck on the idea of being able to use the iron sights, also when I was a kid I had an old Remington .22 that had a "see under" scope mount and I always liked it. The other reason is because the Ruger rings were 1" and the scope is 30mm. The modified set-up that I have on it now is actually very solid and doesn't move at all, I'm happy with it and they way it performs or holds accuracy, Just don't want it to look cheesy I guess I should say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
True but the other problem was that I couldn't mount the scope back far enough to keep from stretching my neck to get a nice full view. I've noticed other readers have mentioned the same thing about mounting scopes on the mini's

·
Registered
157 Posts
i have the blued UTG rail

i put a butler creek folding stock on my mini with a nikon BDC

maybe a longer scope will help? better quality got to the store and try a few , that scope you have i got too simular POU ...has limited view on the eyepiece

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've thought about a different scope, haven't had time to try many out though and I kinda like the look of the "Tactical Style Scope" I've noticed the mount that DrewArtist is using on his actually sets the scope back a little farther so I'm thinking of using that mount with the same scope that I have on now...(they make the same style mount using the same scope I'm using) I can always use this scope on my 10/22...Folding stocks are evil and illegal here in Calif. (stupid)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
You can also get a picatinny rail to mount on your main mounting points and then bring back the scope rings to have a better set up. This would keep it a lot like what you have at the moment, but you avoid the side mount system. This would make sure that you keep your scope zeroed in. The set up that you saw on my 181 Mini is no longer. I could not maintain a zero with that scope and mount.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've read on other forums where people have drilled and tapped the and installed set screws on the system you were using and that solved the "holding zero" problem...what do you think? every rail system I've looked at doesn't allow enough rearward mounting to get the scope back as far as the mount you were using.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Question on wooden retro stock where did you get it?

:wacko:
This is a few pictures of my new 581+ series SS Mini 14, I've had it for about 2 months and decided to see if I could fit it into an older 184+ series all wooden stock with the wooden handguard, It only took a small amount of careful chisel work to remove about a 1/4" X 1/8" X 2" strip from within the right hand side inside the receiver area, afterwards I cleaned up and finished with a little Dremel work, took about an hr and it fits and shoots rock solid, The wooden handguard snapped right on! plus I still have my synthetic stock that it came with. I also added the quick disconnect for the bi-pod that I read about on this forum, also had the front sight moved back and the barrel threaded, I chose the Smith muzzle brake and I'm happy with it's performance. This Mini shoots nice groups, the pictured target is from 100 yrds shot using the just the bi-pod while I kneeling in front of a big rock, benching properly produces better groups. I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and absolutely love it, Nice to be amongst Mini lovers! I have used lots of advice from here find it relaxing after a days work to read through...Hope everyone has a great day..."God Bless America" View attachment 16703

View attachment 16704

View attachment 16711

View attachment 16706 SG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did this rifle have wood on it when you got it?? If so I am looking for a new style pattern 581 stock with the rubber pad on it for a project??

·
Registered
7 Posts
You could very well be right about the 581 series being Mini-30's? The stocks I beleive are the same for all three calibers? I just want a late model stock with the factory rubber pad for a project?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts