Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have a 10/22 carbine and I like it but I have never been thrilled with its length. When I saw the 10/22 compact I though thats the ticket. But then Ruger came out with the blued takedown and I had another idea.
My idea is this, buy a 10/22 takedown blued and remove the flashhider replacing it with a thread protector, should shorten the barrel about a inch. Next buy a carbine stock and cut it and fit it to the takedown. Last would be to get some True-Glo fiber optic sights to replace the iorns.
The only part I am not sure of is the stock, I have not looked at the two next to each other to see if it is even doable. I don't know how the takedown stock fits to each end of the rifle. anyways what do you all think, pipe dream or some kitchen table gunsmitihing?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm not entirely clear on your plan; which end of the 10/22 did you want to shorten?
There's no reason you couldn't put the Takedown in a Carbine stock with the forend completely cut off, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. It won't make the gun any shorter than leaving the forend on, and it would make twisting the barrel on and off less convenient.
If, OTOH, you were talking about shortening the buttstock to match the length of the barrel, you could simply shorten the Takedown's plastic stock and epoxy a buttplate on. You might find the LOP too short, however. Perhaps one of the folding stocks could be pressed into service: cut it off just in front of the receiver, and use the Takedown's front end.

The receiver attaches to the stock in exactly the same way for both the "regular" 10/22 and the Takedown; only the front end is different.

Here's a link to the exploded diagram for the Takedown:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/1022TD-3fje6z61.pdf

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I think the OP is after, essentially, a Compact-barrelled Takedown in a wood stock.

Think of a Takedown version of this:

Instead of this:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ahhhh...I get it now. Thanks, COBrien.
As long as you're willing and able to do some carving, I see no reason it couldn't be done.
It doesn't show very well in the exploded diagram, but the forend basically just has a large rectangular channel for the under-barrel connecting hardware, a new screw hole, and a slot for the release latch. The receiver end of the stock just has a larger area cut out for the connecting hardware; the usual mounting screw holds it in place.
Since the Carbine stock is wood, the inletting should be really easy, and Acraglas will fix any errors.

·
Registered
646 Posts
PD check out rimfire central and search 10/22 takedown. Loads of info there. I know many have converted stock to fit the takedown....from tapco to laminate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant o say compact stock, not carbine. But COBrien pretty much got it. I did see nome had done it on a few other sites. I just thought it would be neat with the shorter barrel and stock.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
with the correct sized allen the barrel can be removed fairly quickly from the 10/22. this would allow packing into a much shorter container even one that will float.
not as quickly assembled as a ar7, papoose or the new takedown but easily doable in a couple-3 minutes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts