Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading in the Mini-14 Mag FAQ and seen that no review of any MWG 90 round mag has been brought forth.

I own two of them, bought NIB back around 94 when The AWB was about to hit us and foe SHTF or whatever. Being plastic I've not been using them cause I don't want them to wear out so soon etc.. But FWIW, I did use one of them two times just to see. Both lock the bolt back ok. I ran 80 rnds thru one and another 40 another time thru the same one. I did a little rock&rolling with it but tried to keep it to a minimum to not heat the barrel up too much.

I had no problems whatsoever. I realize a mag and a half out of one mag is not a real test, but its something.

If I can figger out how to post pics again now that the browse button is gone with the old format, I'll snap a shot or 2 of em and post them.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I do not have one,but know people who do. One interesting aspect I found out from talking to them was concerning the way they curl up on one side. They explained that when in right-handed shooting position,the mag is made to actually rest partially on the left arm,making a more stable platform!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
If you click on search, click on "any date" (the default is only 30 days) enter "drum" select mini-14 forum. Many post will come up including a 180 rd drum mag for the mini posted feb 2002.

The pic problem is being addressed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're supposed to rest the mag on your arm? Ohh, Ok. I resisted the urge to do that cause its plastic and I din want to stress it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have one of the 90 round drums - It is in pretty good condition, visibley. After running about 300 rounds through my AC556 - I loaded the drum up with about 50 rounds and proceeded to fire. It turned my perfectly reliable AC556 into a jam-o-matic! Every 2nd round would jam. I think two things were causing it to fail. First, I don't believe that it feeds fast enough to keep up with the cyclic rate of the gun. Second, the gun was hot and the drum is plastic - it could have caused the feed tower to distort, although I didn't see any visible damage to it from heat. I did not that the feed lips were not as "slick" as the metal feed lips on the stick mags. I just don't think a hot AC5556 likes plastic mags.

One other problem I had, was that the drum was so off center that I couldn't hold onto the forend of the stock without burning the crap out of my left hand - the drum was totally in my way! Needless to say, I hate the plastic 90 round drum - I guess if I could get it to feed correctly, I might put up with burning my hand, but otherwise, it goes in the "pre-ban, but POS" pile.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for the product review redchip. Did you try it in the plain ole semi mode? Maby it would work in that mode?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts