Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, im new to muzzleloading, and i have a question, the muzzleloader bullets i bought came with a black plastic piece around each one. the bullet easily comes out of the plastic, but when im loading do i leave the plastic on or off

·
Registered
370 Posts
Kevin is right. In all probability it is a sabot designed to hold a bullet thats is smaller in diameter than the bullet itself or its a plastic base that functions as a seal/wad to protect the base of the bullet from heat/gases generated by the burning powder. Load it as directed by the manufacture and it will all be fine!

This is a good route to go if your new to muzzle loading or if your hunting. However after you have got your feet wet you may find it much cheaper to but your sabots and bullets seperate in bulk packs of 100, 250 or 500. This is a good cost effective way to do a lot of target shooting and "become one with your muzzle loader" so to speak without breaking the bank. But make no mistake with a good bullet this can also be very effective for hunting as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is this an in-line or side lock muzzle loader. Check to see if your barrel is marked with a twist rate. Slow 1-66 twist will shoot best with a round ball and patch or light conical bullet. Medium rate like 1-48 can usually shoot well with patch & ball, lead conical bullets or your saboted bullets.
If the twist rate is 1-28 or faster, saboted bullets would be correct.

Very important to make sure the projectile is fully seated against the powder or you could damage the rifle or injure yourself.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts