Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've read a ton of articles about the BW/Massen brake and how it improves accuracy. But I also noticed that everyone said the brake with sellect loads cut groups in half. Well any sellect loads will cut groups in half in any gun with or without a brake. My question is how much improvement was there using the same loads with and without the brake? Z man's reported only .25" better results at 100 yards when the brake was installed. That could be anything hardly substanstial on a 2 MOA gun. How ever alot of you report going from 6" to 2-3". Was that with the same loads? The reason for my question is that I hate the way that brake looks. I like my mini to be short and handy. I think its the perfect size the way it comes. The brake looks cheesey on hte gun. Makes the barrel look too long. The only thing that I like better is was fantom flashidder i saw another member did on his gun. He cut the barrel down a few inches and installed a new front site. I suppose a flash hidder will not help accuracy since the is no downward force from the exiting gas pressure. PS I tested one of those brakes on a used mini and results were mixed. I did not do a very thorough test though and don't have the gun or brake anymore. I do have a stainless mini now that replaced it.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Hey dchi. I used the same ammo for all my mods to document improvement, same ammo, same sandbag, same distance, same shooting range. If you use the search button, and enter "muzzle brake" many posts will come up. I have read every thread from day one, and most that install the muzzle brake post that average groups cut at or near half! Check out this thread: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=1314

· Registered
53 Posts
I was using the same handloaded rounds for all testing of my rifle from beginning to end.

As for the muzzle brake, yes, you are correct, I did measure an average group size reduction of .25" inches on a 2-MOA rifle.

However, realize that reduction is dropping 12.5% off of average group size, which IS a rather solid and significant amount.

· Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I noticed that on my mini the plastic handgaurd is making solid contct with the stock. This can't be good since its also connected to the barrel. Should I trim down the plastic handgaurd or the stock? BTW Im going to try do do the same things you guys have done and see what happens. I may opt to use a real flash suppressor insted of a brake or none at all. Also plan to use surplus ammo of only one type since thats all i shoot. Also I don't have ranch model so no scope but Im pretty good with open sights. I'll try to let you guys know how it goes.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Originally posted by dchi
Thanks guys. I noticed that on my mini the plastic handgaurd is making solid contct with the stock. This can't be good since its also connected to the barrel. Should I trim down the plastic handgaurd or the stock?
Hmmmm, maby this is something we need to check on. I was also looking at getting a better vented hand guard, such as the ones ASI sell to keep my mini cooler.

Good luck with your other mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.