Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have decided to purchase a Black Warrior Muzzle Break. With all the good press these things get in this forum, how could I go wrong? One problem I have encountered when I went to cheaperthandirt is that I own a 196 series mini. The product description for the rgr-050 states that it will not fit my mini because of some barrel size restrictions. Has anyone else put this break on a 195 or 196 numbered mini-14? If I cannot use this particular part, can someone recommend a different muzzle break? Thanks in advance for the info

Keep Your Powder Dry!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
723 Posts
I bought one of mine from Cheaper than Dirt, It fit pretty tight.I just took a rubber mallet and taped it own.I probably didnt even need to put the pin in that fits behind the sight. On another Mini-14 I have it just slide right on,no doubt it needed the pin,it dont fit loose or nothing but you can barely wiggle it.I was thinking of putting some lock tight on it.But I really think it will fit.You may have to tap it own but I like that tight fit better.Actually its a muzzle Break-flash suppressor,and the other one I was telling you about that fits kind of loose is just a Muzzle Break.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank You gentlmen for the information. I am going to do some more research on this topic. I called cheaperthandirt and they said it probably would not work for me due to the 196 series number. I still might try it out though, I really want to use that particular Muzzle break, I think it looks cool as well as being functional. Wish me luck........

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Jkghome, I have a 196 SS Ranch, and installed the BlackWarrior muzzle break, I bought from cheaper than dirt, in march. It fit perfect. I have only heard of a couple on older mini's it is a little loose so they put a brass shim from auto parts store. It is a double muzzle brake, and says so on the receipt. Keep your receipt for proof. The end sort of looks like a flash hider, but it is not. If you look on the bottom, no holes or slots, therefore a brake. A hider has slots all the way around. I rubed in some oil, then the stainless matched my mini. It cut my groups in half!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put the Black Warrior break on my 196 series and it does fit but is a bit loose, I shimmed it with thick aluminum foil.
What type of brash shim did they get at the auto parts store? I still have a bit of wiggle in mine but am out of ideas aside from soldering.
But anyway YES they do fit on the 196 series, apparently sometimes tight and sometimes loose. Apparently it depends on the particular gun not the serial number.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ok guys this is just a "What if" but what if after five rounds you happen to notice that your shiney new muzzlebrake or whatever the hell you have wriggling off the end of your "High power" rifle isn't there any longer? Yes the 223 or 5.56 is a high power round & if it comes in contact with something that is wriggling off the muzzle end of that barrel can & at the worst time will send it flying---god knows where! Whatever you hang off the end of the barrel has to be solidly secured to said barrel & should (must) be aligned with the bore. Kitchen table gunsmithing it fine but when something doesn't fit you must either correct it or send it back before they make a bunch more that don't fit. After all this is all about safety & if we don't do it ourselves you know who will.

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I agree with bushwack, we should be extremely careful with what we do with our weapons. These are tools that if not properly maintained could cause serious injury, not to mention give the zealots who want to take our weapons away more leverage. I am going to go ahead and purchase the muzzle break and attempt to install it. The great people on this forum have never steered me wrong. If anything even looks remotely peculiar when I do the installation or does not fit in a way I believe is safe I will get professional help.Thanks for letting me know that there have been successful installs on 196 series rifles. This gives me HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
The BlackWarrior Muzzle Brake, fits over the outside diameter of the barrel. With it pined in there is no way a bullet can strike the inside of this muzzle brake, even with a some slop in its dimensions. Just can't happen. No sir it can't. No way, No how.;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To end what I started here......

I received my Two muzzle Brakes from cheaperthandirt today. I purchased two so that I could give my dad one for his new ss mini 14. It went on by hand very snugly, I have not as yet removed the old pin and inserted the new.When I have completed the install process I am very confident it will perform safely. There will be nothing dangling off the end of my mini. I would like to say thank you all for your input. I would not have even attempted to purchase this modification if not for the great information from all the seasoned veterans on this forum.

I feel we all need to pay close attention to everything going on around us today...Don't be asleep at the wheel when approaching a sharp left turn!!!!!

Thank's in advance,,,,I will probably have another question in the future!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey jkg, how about posting the results, when you, and your dad install the brakes, and shoot your mini's? We like to hear the results!;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I haven't seen a BATF definition of a muzzle brake, so I assume a manufacturer's product definition will suffice. But living in Kalifornia, I'm very wary of encountering problems in the field...

Everything I've ever heard (or experienced) requires a muzzle brake or compensator to possess an exit hole as close as possible to the caliber of the barrel. The "brake" functions by forcing gases through ports during the millisecond(s) the bullet seals the gasses as it passes through the muzzle brake exit hole.

A device lacking ports/slots/holes on the bottom will not function as a "brake" or "compensator" without a exit hole tight enough to form a "sealed" chamber that can force gasses at a velocity high enough to offset muzzle rise or perceived recoil.

The current M16 flashider lacks slots on the bottom (to eliminate dust signature) but is not a muzzle brake as it has a large exit hole.

Take a look through Brownell's catalog, and you'll note that except for recently "recategorized" items, all the muzzle brakes fit the above description.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
The purpose of a compensator/muzzlebrake is to reduce recoil, my black warrior muzzle brake has combination holes & slots in the top and sides, no holes in the bottom, this reduces muzzle flip as well. My Taurus 357 mag has a factory compensator with holes on top angled outward. No holes in bottom, and it is way larger than the bore. I am sitting here with a round stuck in the end of the barrel, case and all. I shot with 2 sherrif deputies, last week end, they thought it was a muzzle brake on my mini. I have seen muzzle brakes with holes in the top, and sides only, and I have seen muzzle brakes with holes all the way around. This seems to be a gray area, and maybe its to our advantage, they don't review the difference between a brake, and a flash hidder. Cause they just might say whats the diff. and ban muzzle brakes too!:( Till then I just keep correcting people who look at my mini and say: " cool flash hider". NO ITS A MUZZLE BRAKE! I will keep my receipt which says Double muzzle brake.:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm encouraged that the 2 deputies identified your device as a muzzle brake, but I hope we don't have to rely on their personal opinions...

The bottom line here is that lacking a BATF ruling, I hope we can all stay in compliance with the law.

That said, a "muzzle brake" that lacks a near caliber-sized exit hole is significantly less effective. Take a look at the Browning "BOSS" and other compensators.

I would also hazard a guess that your black warrior muzzle brake also generates considerably less muzzle flash than a stock mini.

Hey, enjoy your muzzle brake, I've heard nothing but great reports on them...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.