Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the new Black Warrior double muzzle brake yesterday and am glad to report it did make a difference in accuracy. I didn't measure the groups but I am shooting less than three inches at 100 with iron sights. No flyers after barrel heating either! My next project is going to be a blued Mini with the Hogue stock for a "black rifle" look.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought one too. I also bought the Ashley Outdoors peep sights. It consists of a better rear apperture and a new, narrower front sight. I plan to install everything on Thursday and try it over the weekend.

Any tips for getting the front sight off? I have heard it can be pretty hard? I will try the block of wood and hammer method. If that does not work, I have a dremel tool. I don't look forward to doing this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brake didn't require the removal of the front sight. It slides over it and uses a longer pin. Good luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Dave when I took off my front sight I just used a small pin punch to drift out the cross pin then stood muzzle down on a clean 2X4 & giving a larger punch a sharp rap with the hammer against the sight blade the sight fell right off.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes Dave the Mini has enough barrel problems without me screwing up the crown. Besides that if the punch slipped off the sight I'd rather it slam into a piece of junk wood rather than the table top.

Bushwack

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Mini (purchased NIB this year) 1-9 twist? also loves Ga Arms 68gr match ammo the best of anything that I have tried to date.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I'm from kalifornia. Oops! Probably shouldn't have revealed that.
I just purchaced a brake from cheaperthandirt. Looks cool.
I'm wondering if any other kalifornia folks know about the radical
laws reguarding a brake. Last weekend at BLM land range I was
told that a ranger took rifles away from shooters because of the
muzzle brake. Now I know that the federal doesn't like two or
more of - pistol grip, brake etc.. but my question is: In kalifornia
on a stock, one year old ranch stainless is a "brake" not legal.
Please help. If it is I'm moving. Honey pack it up were out of here!

Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was under the impression the law covered flash suppressors? The BLM is known for their lack of all Kali's stupid laws. F***king commies.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Mammandoli:

Kalifornia law allows muzzle brakes as long as no other "evil" mod (Folding stock, bayonet lug, etc.) has been added. However, unless it's an actual brake and not a just a renamed flash hider I'd be a little worried. Many manufacturers (Choate for example) have simply renamed their flash hider as a muzzle brake to enhance sales (I guess). A muzzle brake differs from a flash hider by having a near caliber exit hole and usually a series of holes or small slots for gas venting.

I had my existing Choate flash hider cut-off and welded to a muzzle brake to remain legal...

Originally posted by Satan2655
If I recall, its a 1/7 twist.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Codger,
That's what I thought. Interesting you say that a brake is caliber
size. I spoke to someone at a local gun show and he told me that
the slots or holes on a brake don't continue all the way around the brake. Mine is missing a slot on the bottom. I think it's time to move to Neveda I don' t think it should be this confusing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Originally posted by mamandoli
Thanks Codger,
That's what I thought. Interesting you say that a brake is caliber
size. I spoke to someone at a local gun show and he told me that
the slots or holes on a brake don't continue all the way around the brake. Mine is missing a slot on the bottom. I think it's time to move to Neveda I don' t think it should be this confusing.
As I understand, the lower slot is omitted so that, when firing from the prone position, dust will not be kicked up from gas diversion.

·
Registered
181 Posts
As a rule muzzle brakes lack vents/ports on the bottom, but not always... I have a non-indexable brake that has bottom ports, and some flashiders-brake combos lack a bottom slot (AR180, later M-16s). Sure make things easy to figure out, huh? The one sure think however is the near-caliber exit hole. If it lacks that, it's not a muzzle brake...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts