Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the venerable Mini-14, but I'm already in love and some might say too deep!

I have purchased Accuracy Systems Inc's Harmonic Stabilizer II w/ Adjustable Gas Block and intend on installing it (pending the arrival of some proper tools). However, I have run into a slight hiccup and before I go ripping n tearing, decided to consult this fine forum first.

When purchased, my second hand Mini came pre-installed with some sort of barrel shroud and a front sight integrated upon a muzzle brake. To remove the shroud, I need to remove that brake. I realize there is some sort of pin (seemingly), but I wanted counsel before I started hammering on it. How do I go about it, without resorting to simply hacking it off? And does anybody recognize the brand/name of the muzzle brake?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
Find a small punch, or even a nail, which has a tip that partially fits in the hole. Tap it with a small hammer. Wait till enough sticks out, grab with pliers, pull out, pull off FH.

·
3,036 Posts
Hey, anytime. Always better to check, if you are not quite sure.

Reactions: MerleM

·
Registered
600 Posts
If you plan on working on your guns a lot it might be wise to invest in a roll pin punch set. Pretty cheap at Brownells. The properly sized roll pin punch has a nipple on the front of the punch to center it in the hole. The shoulder then sets on the pin face making for solid contact. Sometimes when you use a sharp object it will burrow into the pin, opening it like a wedge making removal difficult. Won't say you can't remove it without the punch but I try to use the proper tool for the job.

Looks like the front sight might have to be pulled also to remove the shroud. How is the shroud attached?

Bepe

·
Registered
621 Posts
If you plan on working on your guns a lot it might be wise to invest in a roll pin punch set. Pretty cheap at Brownells. The properly sized roll pin punch has a nipple on the front of the punch to center it in the hole. The shoulder then sets on the pin face making for solid contact. Sometimes when you use a sharp object it will burrow into the pin, opening it like a wedge making removal difficult. Won't say you can't remove it without the punch but I try to use the proper tool for the job.

Looks like the front sight might have to be pulled also to remove the shroud. How is the shroud attached?

Bepe

Right tool for the right job, especially when you are punching in a roll pin. they are easy to remove, replacing one is a little bit dicier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shroud just has a small Allen screw on either end that presses against the barrel. I don't like that so she's coming off.

The pin was indeed tapered and it came right out. But now I'm stumped as to how to actually remove the FH. Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
The pin was indeed tapered and it came right out. But now I'm stumped as to how to actually remove the FH. Any ideas?
I have a similar Flash Hider / Muzzle Brake on my Mini14 attached with a longer version of the roll pin that attached the front sight. Mine wobbled a bit when I first installed it so added a bit of brass shim stock and locktite to tighten it up.

Suspect yours has some locktite holding it on too. I'd heat it with a propane torch and then try to tap it off with a brass punch or similar non-marring tool.

·
3,036 Posts
Might want to tamp it on the sides with a rubber mallet, and ever so lightly on the muzzle end. You could also use a small hammer with aluminum, brass, or bronze, or even wood between the hammer and rear of the FH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I used a rubber mallet to get the flash hider off. Still nicked some of the finish, darn!

Now I have another conundrum, the front sight is pretty steadfast. The rubber mallet isn't even budging it. I feel like such a newb, any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow. That tool from Matrix Precision made the removal and installation of the flash hider and front sight a breeze! I'm going to replace the roll pin with a new one pending the purchase of a roll pin punch as mine is now a bit on the flared side.

Well. My Mini is almost complete! I'm kicking around the idea of cerakoting what I can cerakote and replacing some other Allen screws that got ever so slightly rounded out.

Thank you all for the help. It eased my mind on the removal of that sight. Couldn't have done it without ya'all!

I'll post pictures of the refreshed ole gal after I'm done putting her back together!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here she is! I call her Rabbit Hole.

Parts List:

-ATI Stock (wish I could find an EBR chassis)
-Picatinny scope rail
-Vortex medium scope rings
-Vortex Crossfire II 3x9x40 w/ illuminated reticle
-Vortex Defender flip covers
-Accuracy Systems, Inc.(ASI) Shock Buffers
-ASI Extra Power Spring
-ASI Extended Mag Release
-ASI Harmonic Stabilizer 2 w/Adjustable Gas Block
-ASI Advanced Trigger Job
-UTG adjustable bipod

I suspect that flash hider and sight are after market but as I did not install them I have no idea what brand they are. I also bought a bushing kit from ASI but who knows if I'll even need that lol! This project has been a labor of love and has been an eye opening experience (especially when I had to trim the gas bushing, yikes!) I know many will say I have too much money into it, but it's mine and I'm satisfied. Almost.

Again, thank you for all the help and let me know if there's any questions or comments!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.