Perfect Union banner

Muzzle Brake from Bushmaster???

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Coyote 
#1 ·
Any comments on the AK-74 style mini-14 muzzle brake from Bushmaster?

#2 ·
It looks like a cool brake. I'm not for 100% shure, but I see no holes on the bottom. I don't care for holes on the bottom as when shooting in the prone it kicks up dirt, and sand in the eyes, teeth, and worse, in my mini. I have a black warrior that works well for me. I wish I had the money to get the AK brake and try it to see if I like it better.
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/10-22/mmt-0018.asp
Maby someone else, has one?

#3 ·
I have and use the double muzzle on my mini 14 ranch rifle,also have the bushmaster ak-74 muzzle brake that I use on my pre-ban mini 14. They both work fine,really tighten up my group therapy. I also use the black warrior double muzzle brake on my mini 30,the new ar15 bushmaster I purchased a few months ago has a 16 inch barrel with an ak-74 muzzle brake which is almost identical to the one on the above link. I like muzzle brakes on these types of firearms as it will have a positive effect on accuracy. Works for me. Singleside out. :usa: :ar15: FREEDOM FREEDOM FREEDOM

#6 ·
I have the AK-74 style brake. No it does not have holes at the bottom.

Advantage for us Kalifornia people it is a true muzzle brake by definition - the thru hole at the end is only slightly larger than the bore. It does reduce recoil/jump but not as much as they claim.

Disadvantage is that it tends to blow particles back in your face as someone stated in another post. Other competition style muzzle brakes will do this also. I decided to cut off the front portion of the break so there is nothing to splash back against. This will reduce some of it's effectiveness but bottom line I don't want to be flinching if I have to use the gun w/o shooting glasses.

#7 ·
I have a new 197 series ranch mini14, and bushmaster says that this brake will fit this new series. All other brakes that I have seen for sale fit only older mini14's. Apparently there is some difference in barrel diameter. Bushmaster says that the brake only comes in blued finish though, and I need a stainless steel brake. Anybody know where to get one?

#8 ·
Trdslinger,
Try calling Frank's Center, Inc. 800-666-9190, I have a 196 series Mini-14 SS RR, and it fit with no problem. You can also go to Cheaperthandirt.com, deltaforce.com, etc. When your told that the barrel diameter is different from the older models, you have to remember that the muzzlebreak goes over the front sight ring.

#9 ·
The standard ak-74 muzzle brake used buy the russian special forces on those weapons is taken from the orignal american design,however modifications to those weapons due to the size of the barrel they are nearly the same. They all perform about the same, reducing recoil and muzzle climb helping you to stay on target with less movement of you. Yes, I have noticed an increase in report level but the advantage of a good muzzle brake on these type of firearms mini 14/30 and ar15 will be noticed by the experienced rifleman. I can recommend the black warrior double muzzle brake it is what I use on my mini 14/30.The pre-ban mini 14 has the bushmaster ak-74 muzzle brake, after hundreds of rounds I have never had anything blow back in my face, if you watch the fireball you will notice that it is directed away from you with these brakes.So if you want to try it for yourself,you will be glad you did. Singleside out. :usa: :ar15: Remember, its all about freedom.

#10 ·
I just put the Bushmaster AK brake on my 186 series mini this week, but I haven't slowed down to shoot it yet. Nice looking, well made brake that fits tight. It has a longer front sight pin, and two allen set screws at 6 o'clock. No holes on the bottom. 3 holes, just in front of the muzzle at 3, 9 and 12 o'clock. 2 more holes in line with the front sight blade at 12. 2 "bay window" ports that you can easily see in the photos, but what you can't see is 2 holes facing down range on the rear face of each "window". The only draw back I see is the finish, more of a phosphate / sand blasted than a blue finish.

#11 ·
Looking forward for range report, description of observable effects - sound, flash, etc. A picture of the barrel-end would be nice.

Those set screws - are they really necessary with such a tight fit? Wouldn't it make sense to put the brake on a lock-tight or some automotive high-temp equivalent and just rely on the pin?

Voruzon

#12 ·
I want to put a front sight/muzzle brake on my Mini-30 and had my heart set on the Choate, except, as we know they no longer make the M-14 style for the Mini-30. Which other manufacturer makes a front sight/muzzle brake for the Mini-30, one that pins in place and is similar to the M-14, and where can I see pics? Thanks, Stan in Southern New Mexico.

#13 ·
Peepsight---I have the old Choate M14 style flash suppressor & believe me it makes the Mini much louder & there is a bit of back blast as well. I bought it for the looks & I still like it above the rest. And just between you & me I wouldn't put a Black Warrior muzzle brake on my Mini unless Bill Ruger was standing there with a garruntee I'd shoot "Bug hole" groups with it. However I can't ignore what success others have had with the Black Warrior.

Good shooting
Bushwack

#14 ·
Bushwack, thanks for the info. Hey, if Bill was standing beside me, I'd be seeing ghosts. I want to try a muzzle brake to dampen recoil and see what it does to groups. I don't expect MOA, but just want to see what it will do. If blowing up dust is a problem with a muzzle brake, it will be a BIG problem here in the Chihuahuan Desert where the dust blows every day. Later, Stan

#15 ·
I had the AK on a Colt preband. I loved it. I felt that it cut the sound down....and for sure the rise of the weapon. When I sold the gun, the person that bought it did not like the looks and went back to the orig. brake that came on the Colt. He then shot it and went back home and put the AK back on. Very nice product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.