Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am new to this forum and have been looking around the site for info on muzzle brakes that are effective and and doesnt increase muzzle blast that much. I have a new 581 series 6.8 spc mini 14 ranch rifle and would like to make it my main hunting rifle. I am looking for a good muzzle brake to make multiple shots or see my first shot connect w target. I have been searching online and so far have come up with the Vais brake, the shrewd varmit brake, the MDC comp,or NMR brake on AR15Performance website and the mo reaper but cant decide which would create less noise to the shooter. All claim to be "quieter" brakes for lake of a better term. Does anyone have experiance w these companies or any suggestions or advice for me?? Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
choate that one i have not any louder or quiter then. dont do the slip on ones. they just end up being more work then worth.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah I noticed my mini 14 was louded after I installed the mo reaper. After I replaced the stock gas port bushing to a .50 gas port bushing, I noticed that it's not as loud now as it was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah i looked at the choate one too looks nice but wasnt sure if it be effective in muzzle lift reduction. Is the mo reaper as good as its advertised? how loud mikel? managable to hunt without ear protection?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I dont know what Pic you have look at. most of the pictures I seen on line are of the flash suppresser. not that there a big diffrence.
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/mini-14-mini-30-gallery/87698-kalifornia-cqb-2.html
this is a link of muzzle brake verson.
with my mini 30 i can say it does work. how well eh. mini dont really kick to begin with. all i know is i can put 3 in the dot at ~30 yards standing and im useing 2 fingers to hold the gun..

I look at mo reaper. it lookes like it would work fine. i was just not fan of the sight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah viper thats the one i saw on choates site. very attractive. can you shoot it wout hearing protection?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'll be honest never tried anything bigger then a 40 sw with out ear protection. It was not any louder that I could tell. Now dont take me as end all. I dont have best hearing and I did have ear plugs. You could e-mail or call choate. They may take few days to get back too you.
The mo look like it be same level noise. Being the ports don't point back. I look for the one with the sight you like best. Im m14 fan. and it match my factory sight perfect

One thing mini like any weight you put on the end of them. Be flash or brake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah im thinking maybe i will just try the mo reaper since wont have to thread barrel and they say noise level is the same. anybody have experiance with ar15performance.com brakes? They advertise a few that are usable for hunting, the MCD comp and MNR brake.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have the Mo-Reaper and haven't noticed any noise level change.

Have I ever shot the gun with or without hearing protection with new muzzle brake vs stock?
Hell no!! I like my ears lol

Hunting I can see why ya ask though. At the range I double up and use plugs as well as muffs. Before the muzzle brake and after I haven't noticed any noise level change. However, the gun doesn't jump off the rest anymore, very effective! :D

And the muzzle brake with the banana style 20 round mags gives it that "American AK" look. Love it!:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want to use a braked rifle without hearing protection, even for a single shot while hunting. Electronic muffs would be a viable option.

I double up with plugs and muffs at the range, and even indoors aggressive brakes don't make a difference volume-wise - I could feel the wind/shockwave from the guy's braked AR next to me on my face, but volume while doubled up was no different. Unprotected under a hunting situation would be a different story.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i got a pair of electronic ear plugs not the muffs and they create way to much wind noise. was thinking of trying the muff style to see if they were any better. Ok then so far looks like mo reaper wins. Really interested in AR15PERFORMANCE.COM muzzle brakes though since they say a few are for hunting applications

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ar15.com

Wow, they have some SICK looking brakes!!:eek:

Its all up to you man...I assume that if your looking at those brakes then you have a threaded barrel.

A lot of us here (well, me anyways!) use the Mo-Reaper because, short of getting the barrel threaded, it is the only option for a muzzle device on the newer serial numbered minis with the 18.5'' barrel.

That MCD does look pretty sweet ;)

Get what ya like and give it a go! (and, as always, tell us how everything goes!)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Wow, they have some SICK looking brakes!!:eek:

Its all up to you man...I assume that if your looking at those brakes then you have a threaded barrel.

A lot of us here (well, me anyways!) use the Mo-Reaper because, short of getting the barrel threaded, it is the only option for a muzzle device on the newer serial numbered minis with the 18.5'' barrel.

That MCD does look pretty sweet ;)

Get what ya like and give it a go! (and, as always, tell us how everything goes!)
Not true Choate works on new ones. and a few others. mine mini 30 581 and Choate was just fine.

just use new cobalt bits and go slow. the barrel is very hard SS.

as with all mini use a press to get the sight off and some PB blaster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah pet rock im leaning toward mo reaper or ar 15 mcd comp. looks sweet and has a chart for stats says decibles only 84. My barrels not threaded yet. if go that route having gundoc do it! Took front site off already from other threads in this forum was easy to do! Thanks for all your input people ill let you know what i decide and show pics. Gun doc also said shrewd muzzle brakes are good. Oh hard to decide! lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
how loud mikel? managable to hunt without ear protection?
Louder than stock that's for sure. That's the first thing I noticed when I fired the first shot. I don't use ear protection, not saying it's wise though but my hearing was not the best to begin with.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well as your rifle sits now, the Mo-Reaper would be the cheapest option
$98 for forum members

To thread the barrel is $150, then add the muzzle brake cost.

To me, it wasn't worth the extra $$$, but then again I'm only 18 so money is pretty tight

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have a John Masen brake on one of my Minis. It is very effective as far as keeping the gun from moving up. As far as noise. This sucker is loud. Having it permanetly attached to a 12" chopped barrel don't help matters either:wacko::wacko:................Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah pet rock i know. either 100 for mo reaper or 200 for brake and threading. really like that MDC , MNR brake though, lioke they actually have a chart that shows muzzle lift reduction and recoil and decibals. Gotta sleep on it a few nights. Dont have a lot of money to burn but dont wanna do this twice.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts