Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new and am gearing up to reload. I already own a Mini-14 and have a Lee press and 223 dies, etc... I will be acquiring an M1 Garand in the near future.

I wanted to know if there are any powders that can be used in both cartridges (30-06 and 223/556) to good effect? Or is this an impossibility? If there are powders that will do this, are the effective?

-Kevin

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
H4895 and IMR4895 come to mind. Please remember that to load specifically for the M1 Garand and loading data for the two powders are not interchangeable. It's gas system is designed for specific burn rates. Most makers have loads listed specifically for the Garand. Also use proper primers. Slam fires are a real possibility.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It will depend on the bullet weight and how hot a load you are working up to but I believe that Varget is probably the most versatile rifle powder out there and will work for both. You could also use H4895 for both but your 30-06 loads would not be as accurate as they could be.

I load 30.06 with H4350 exclusively and it has been the most accurate for me.

I only use Hodgdon powders which keeps my reloading life a bit simpler.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
IMR4895 is about the best powder around. It was original for the 30.06. I have used it for over 30 years. I can't find another powder that is as universal for semi autos. I use it the 03, M1 Garand, Mini 14, and AR15.
It's a little chunky coming out of the powder measure but it doesn't effect anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Gents,

Thanks for the responses. Those are very helpful. Its a shame I'm going to have to do all that "Testing" :sniper: to figure out the best load.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah, that's a real shame.........HONEY! I have to go to the dang range again.....still have some darned testing to do!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I use a Lee press and dies also. I permanently mounted my powder charge and press on a Black and Decker workmate bench. It is very handy and I can even go out on the patio when the weather is nice. I prep large batches of brass and store them in ziploc bags. I only load the powder and bullet when I'm getting ready to go shoot some. My biggest problem is keeping ahead of my gun's appetite.

Another couple of items I would highly recommend if you don't have them;
a powder trickler(the base is heavily weighted)

a digital scale

I got this little Frankford Arsenal scale and it works great. I digitally measure every powder charge.

Next items I plan to get are the dies for 9 mil and a brass tumbler. Right now I'm cleaning every piece of brass by hand and that gets very old very quick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Rifle Calibers i load are .223/5.56, 30-30, 30-06 and 45-70 and I use Varget in all but the '70 (though i could if i wanted to, but i use IMR 4198.) Mainly I use it for loads in my mini-14, loaded under 55gr FMJs or in my 1917 Enfield for a match load under 168gr Sierra HPBTs. In the '06 I've used Varget for everything from 110gr HPs to 180gr GameKings, but my experience in .223 is limited to 55gr FMJ pills and some 69gr HPBT test loads waiting to be tried.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It will depend on the bullet weight and how hot a load you are working up to but I believe that Varget is probably the most versatile rifle powder out there and will work for both. You could also use H4895 for both but your 30-06 loads would not be as accurate as they could be.

I load 30.06 with H4350 exclusively and it has been the most accurate for me.

I only use Hodgdon powders which keeps my reloading life a bit simpler.
If you load IMR or H4350 in a M1 rifle you will bend the op rod because the port pressure will be too high.

Winchester 748 ball powder will work in both the AR15 and M1 Garand. ;)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Gents,

Thanks for the responses. Those are very helpful. Its a shame I'm going to have to do all that "Testing" :sniper: to figure out the best load.
24.5 - 25.5 grains of IMR4895 pushing a good 55 - 62 grain bullet should give you nice results in your Mini or AR depending on your barrel twist. My older 183 series favors 24.5 with a 55 bullet. I still get 2-3" MOA after all these years.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
Imr-4895, W748, Vargent, Tac (light bullets up to 150gr in 06) Probably some others Im leaving out. I like 4895 in my 30-06 but its not great in 223 with heavier bullets which I love.

·
Mountain Boy
22 Posts
Here's the best plinking recipe my uncle and I have come up with for my 581 Series Ranch Rifle. I would agree with hottarod about Varget, burns a little cleaner than BL-C(2) and it's more temp stable. But BL-C(2) works great in my Mini as well as my 308.

55GR FMJ
REMMINGTON OR PMC BRASS
CCI SR 400 Primer
BL-C(2) = 25.9 gr
COL = 2.241

·
Registered
217 Posts
For both calibers, 30.06 or .223..................

One of the 4895's, Win 748, One of the 4064's, RE15, Varget, N140..

What have I forgotten?

These will all work. As will several others. Get a LEE Modern reloading Manual and start exploring.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:Trailboss.....for retarded loads!;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new and am gearing up to reload. I already own a Mini-14 and have a Lee press and 223 dies, etc... I will be acquiring an M1 Garand in the near future.

I wanted to know if there are any powders that can be used in both cartridges (30-06 and 223/556) to good effect? Or is this an impossibility? If there are powders that will do this, are the effective?

-Kevin
Due to lack of powder on market,had to consolitate.the ones i came up with work on 223-30/6{308,270,30-30,etc.} veering b.w. are CFE223,VERGET,BL=C2,H335,H4895,IMR4320,IMR4064

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
:lol:Trailboss.....for retarded loads!;)
I love Trail boss. I use for 45-70, 45 Colt and 7x57 (with lead bullets). Like little donuts in every charge.

Since the great powder shortage of 2013 I have acquired a good quantity of IMR4895. So I use what I can developed some good loads using it. Especially in 308 and 204 Ruger. Thereby saving the old standby powders AA2230 and AA2520.

·
CantRe Member
618 Posts
Yes there are powders that can be used in both cartridges

Will they give you the best performance?? Not likely!

The differences could be measured in inches and not grains

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
have to wonder how it loads through the .223 neck it's slow enuff through the X39 neck.
the 7.62X39 load is designed a 'flattened dot or sphereical' powder shape relatively fast burning and clean too.
95 does well with the heavy slugs in my X39 loads.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:I've had very good result in using either imr or h-4895 in all 223s,gas guns or bolt actions,and in 30-06 which it was developed for used in m-1 garand loads by the military.My only hangup with it is that I can't always find it when looking for it,and since obamatimes it has been scarce where I live.:angry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts