Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum, and new to Mini 14. I am former military and have a lot of time behind an M4. I decided to go with the Mini because of the ridiculous hype overinflating AR prices, and a Mini suits my home defense needs just fine. I went with the tactical ranch rifle that has the ATI stock. I am not looking to be tacti-cool and fill every available picatinny rail with some kind of gadget. I am just going to use a dot sight, a tac light, foregrip, and a sling. I have removed the 2" rail on the bottom, and the 2" rail on the left side. I will use the sling stud in the stock on the left side, and mount the light on the 2" rail on the right side. I am thinking of taking the 7" top rail off and putting it on the bottom, and using one of the 2" rails on the top for the dot sight. The rail on the bottom would be for a Magpul AFG to use the C-clamp grip I was taught in the military. Does anyone have experience moving the top rail to the bottom? Does it have the same taper to fit the slope of the stock? I know I will need to drill 2 more holes to mount it.

Thanks for your thoughts and input.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
No, it's angled and its a weird fit.
They sell a aluminum full length for the bottom, but its overkill in weight and length. I would mount a magpul 6" rail where ever you like it. It's much lighter and cheaper.
I wouldn't mount an optic on the ATI hand guard at all. It's just not stable enough to hold zero. You can get a QD ring for the forward scallop on the reciever for a tube dot, you can get the Burris mount for Holo, or you can put an Amega range hand guard for a scout rail set up.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your ideas. I can see exactly where you are coming from with the bottom rail weight, and foregrip mount. I can also see what you mean about the sight moving around on top of the hand guard. What QD mounts do you recommend? Would I just use one for the front mount?

I like the idea of pulling the top rail to see the irons a little better too. Would the QD mount you are referring to be a look thru to also use irons?

I really appreciate the help

· Registered
5 Posts
It is absolutely possible, and is surprisingly sturdy. first, the v-shaped notch on the underside of the front of the rail needs to be filed down flat. Failure to do so causes the rail to lean one way or the other when screwed down tight.

next 2 holes need to be drilled on the mold seperation line on the underside of the stock for the rear screw wells on the rail. The front screw wells mate nicely with the mounting points for the 2" rail. the rail is angled kind of funny and must be bent to fit the stock. If you're just using it for grip accessories, it's no biggie. you could probably hit it with a heat gun to keep it from being stressed after install, but I didn't and it seems to be fine.

Here's the fun part: I did not want to have to put a wrench in the stock to try and tighten down the rear screws, and I felt that might get loose eventually, so I heat staked the nuts into the stock. p]ut the nut most of the way on one screw, then place it onto a good magnetic screwdriver to hold it. Heat the nut with a torch (not too much, just hot enough to melt the plastic). Using the end of the screw as an alignment reference, stick the screw and nut down through the hole from the inside of the stock until the top of the nut is flush-ish with the stock. you only get one try so it better be hot enough to go flush. Then just clean up around the edges and bottom of stock and you're good to go!

Here's a pic of my 183 series with an Ultimak rail on top, ATI top rail on bottom with a Magpul hand stop. I've got some more pics of the process if you want em. Hope this helps!

· communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have the Tapco stock on my mini which has a rail on it. I bought a used LE Grippod and I love shooting my mini with the pod deployed either off the ground or tabletop. My 10/22 also has a Tapco stock and I have a del-ton AR with magpul furniture and added a rail on the bottom of it so I can use my grippod on all of them.

· Registered
13 Posts
It is absolutely possible, and is surprisingly sturdy. first, the v-shaped notch on the underside of the front of the rail needs to be filed down flat. Failure to do so causes the rail to lean one way or the other when screwed down tight.

next 2 holes need to be drilled on the mold seperation line on the underside of the stock for the rear screw wells on the rail. The front screw wells mate nicely with the mounting points for the 2" rail. the rail is angled kind of funny and must be bent to fit the stock. If you're just using it for grip accessories, it's no biggie. you could probably hit it with a heat gun to keep it from being stressed after install, but I didn't and it seems to be fine.

View attachment 23822

View attachment 23823

Here's the fun part: I did not want to have to put a wrench in the stock to try and tighten down the rear screws, and I felt that might get loose eventually, so I heat staked the nuts into the stock. p]ut the nut most of the way on one screw, then place it onto a good magnetic screwdriver to hold it. Heat the nut with a torch (not too much, just hot enough to melt the plastic). Using the end of the screw as an alignment reference, stick the screw and nut down through the hole from the inside of the stock until the top of the nut is flush-ish with the stock. you only get one try so it better be hot enough to go flush. Then just clean up around the edges and bottom of stock and you're good to go!

Here's a pic of my 183 series with an Ultimak rail on top, ATI top rail on bottom with a Magpul hand stop. I've got some more pics of the process if you want em. Hope this helps!

View attachment 23824
Not trying to hijack the post but I would like to know more about the process including pictures. Also can you explain a little more about having the Ultimak top rail and the bottom section of the ATI stock. I was wondering if this would work because I wanted to do this to my mini. I love the look of the Ultimak top rail and the design of the ATI stock and want to use both.

· Registered
455 Posts
The aluminum rail for the bottom is essential I think. The long plastic one is pretty flexy if you're going to put a grip or sight on it. The aluminum one isn't really heavy; its still aluminum.

I had my Streamlight TLR2 on the side at one time, but it kinda screwed with my sighting mindset for windage adjustment with the laser sighting. Plus it was really bulky in the case and seemed to hang on everything. I definitely like it better in front of my grip and underneath. Much more ergonomic, for me at least.

In the photo I have a Burris scope on the rail, but I usually keep a Burris Fastfire on it. Its small and unobtrusive.

I also have my sling oriented on the left side of my M30. Keeps the 20 round mag and grip from digging in my back.

Wil

Attachments

· Registered
71 Posts
Considering the material, is it safe to assume I can retro fit any aluminum rail on the top of the ATI stock? Assuming it only consists of drilling holes for the hardware....

My stock is on order and should be delivered this coming Monday. I would like to go buy some quality rails for the top and bottom. I'm guessing it shouldn't matter what rails I buy if I believe I have the skill to retro fit myself.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Considering the material, is it safe to assume I can retro fit any aluminum rail on the top of the ATI stock? Assuming it only consists of drilling holes for the hardware....

My stock is on order and should be delivered this coming Monday. I would like to go buy some quality rails for the top and bottom. I'm guessing it shouldn't matter what rails I buy if I believe I have the skill to retro fit myself.
No, will not be able to. You will see when you get it. ... Well maybe YOU can but it would require quite some skill with epoxy or fiberglass to make a straight rail mount. But good news, ati makes aluminum rails specifically for the top and bottom.

· Registered
71 Posts
No, will not be able to. You will see when you get it. ... Well maybe YOU can but it would require quite some skill with epoxy or fiberglass to make a straight rail mount. But good news, ati makes aluminum rails specifically for the top and bottom.
What would be the difficulty? Seems like you like to tell people No....

I built this
[/URL][/IMG]

· Registered
1,117 Posts
What would be the difficulty? Seems like you like to tell people No....

I built this
[/URL][/IMG]
Ok then, yes. Go buy a bunch of rails so you can fit them on as soon as you get it. Knock yourself out. Sorry I said no.

Check out what I made:

· Registered
159 Posts
Cajun, what King was saying, is the ATI rails fit on at the correct angles, so you don't need to engineer anything... I put the 6" ATI alum. rail on the bottom of mine to mount an AFG, and had enough left for a bipod... Heavy ... ehh.. I don't notice it... and what would it matter for you two ??? Looks like there was some Elbow Grease involved in the finely crafted pieces you guys built.

· Registered
71 Posts
Cajun, what King was saying, is the ATI rails fit on at the correct angles, so you don't need to engineer anything... I put the 6" ATI alum. rail on the bottom of mine to mount an AFG, and had enough left for a bipod... Heavy ... ehh.. I don't notice it... and what would it matter for you two ??? Looks like there was some Elbow Grease involved in the finely crafted pieces you guys built.
YEa, it was a bit confusing. First he tells Fan, No, and that the ATI aluminum is overkill and to use a magpul then tells me no, use the ATI rail offered. I like to modify and make one offs when I can.

Lots of elbow grease and many lonesome man hours.... Tons of satisfaction too ;)

· Registered
159 Posts
King is right about the ATI top rail/barrel cover being "cheap", I wouldn't mount anything to it for sighting purposes.... Someone has installed and Altimak scout cover, that really looked good with the ATI stock (In another thread)... very similar to Mcarlmini14's above. I wish I had seen Mcarl's post, about heat staking the nuts, before I did my lower rail.... damn nice idea... I can still do it, just haven't got around to it.
On a similar note...the alum. ATI bottom rail DOES NOT come drilled for the sling stud, so using the ATI stock hole as a template, I drilled my rail, and purchased a longer stud to fit from my LGS. (to mount the bipod)
Sweet Knife !!

· Registered
1,117 Posts
YEa, it was a bit confusing. First he tells Fan, No, and that the ATI aluminum is overkill and to use a magpul then tells me no, use the ATI rail offered. I like to modify and make one offs when I can.

Lots of elbow grease and many lonesome man hours.... Tons of satisfaction too ;)
I was telling you "no" because you we're asking about the top rail. I was telling him to rig a magpul on the bottom.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Gotchya. Think ill be doing the ultimak bolt on. Sturdy, aluminum and has the 45 degree optional attachment for additional rails.
Great choice.
The one thing that made ATI a no go for me was the heat shield. It isn't sturdy, and it was very hard to use the irons with the top rail. Add in the aluminum upgrade rails that are very thick because of the angle of the hand guard, and it becomes a front heavy rifle that doesn't really have usable irons.

· Registered
71 Posts
Makes sense. I like the ATI stocks feel as it is very ergonomically comfortable for me. I also wanted to use the iron sights but it's a no go option now so I bought a vertical forward grip with storage for extra batteries for the holographic I installed. HOPEFULLY I can pick it up from the gun smith today or tomorrow (barrel chopped 1.25" and crowned) so I can put it together. Pretty stoked about this little build.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.