Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flat top AR with F marked from sight, and Magpul Flip up rear. I want to keep my Irons on as back up. What size rings do I need to clear the rear and front sights on my AR?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I am not sure it would be a good idea to try and "clear the front and rear sights" as this would make the mounts very high and probably uncomfortable to shoot. What I would recomend is using 1.5" mounts and allowing the front sight to "co-witness" (just keep the rear flipped down when not in use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont need to be able to use both at the same time. i want to be able to clear the rear sight when it is down, not up.

so you are saying 1.5 inch rings would be good for what i want.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Measure the height of the folded rear sight off the rail.

Then add that to the (Ocular bell/2 - Tube Diameter/2).

Those two values are available online (1.56''/2 - 30mm/2)

You get ~.19'', add the height of your folded rear sight and you have the absolute minimum height you can get by with in rings. I'd add at least a 0.10'' to the figure you get just to have some workable clearance between your ocular bell and rear sight.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
i dont need to be able to use both at the same time. i want to be able to clear the rear sight when it is down, not up.

so you are saying 1.5 inch rings would be good for what i want.
I understand that you don't need to use them both at the same time but what i am saying is that I don't think you can get high enough to clear the front sight. 1.5 inch rings should clear the back just fine with the signt folded down but you will still likely be able to see the front sight through the scope at lower magnification. At 4x you usually won't even see the front sight.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I was wondering what he meant by "F marked from sight".

If its not a flip up front, then listen to woodstock. You will want ample clearance especially since it has a bullet drop compensating reticle.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
F marked front sight is the mil-spec sight. Many copies out there are not the exact same height and do not have the F mark on them.
You can always do what I did and replace it with a railed gas block that was "same plane" as the receiver rail then mounted matching flip up back up iron sights from Yankee Hill Machine if the front sight in the picture bothers you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F marked front sight is the mil-spec sight. Many copies out there are not the exact same height and do not have the F mark on them.
You can always do what I did and replace it with a railed gas block that was "same plane" as the receiver rail then mounted matching flip up back up iron sights from Yankee Hill Machine if the front sight in the picture bothers you.
Low pro gas black, rail, and flip up sights are all on my Christmas list. :D

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
woodstock is definitely on-track with his suggestions about a low-pro gas block, and a folding front sight.

However, I'll throw this idea at you too:

A.R.M.S.,INC - AR-12/M16 #41-BL SILHOUETTE FOLDING FRONT SIGHT

This fsb is definitely unique and it's sort of the best of both worlds.

You get the "traditional" look of the front sight block, but you can fold it when you're shooting with a scope, or a red-dot and you don't want to co-witness.

I have this fsb on my HD rifle. I like it a lot! ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see, sorry I'm not an AR guy.

If you are going to get flip up sights soon, I would wait to get rings as you wont need to get such tall ones. Lower ones will improve your cheek weld too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If you are going to get flip up sights soon, I would wait to get rings as you wont need to get such tall ones. Lower ones will improve your cheek weld too.
Scope wont be till next year. Hopefully if my wife takes the hint from my christmas list, I will get what I need to have a folding front sight.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

Given the straight line style of an AR any lower than 1.5" is too low to be used with any comfort, unless maybe your you got a real short head. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts