Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 580 series and thinking of getting a Vortex Strikefire 2 red dot. The Strikefire mounts with a single 30mm ring. Would a single Ruger 30mm ring be sturdy enough for the red dot to hold zero? I tried a Warne rail once with a cheap red dot and didn't like the setup. Thanks

·
large member
2,089 Posts
I have a 580 series and thinking of getting a Vortex Strikefire 2 red dot. The Strikefire mounts with a single 30mm ring. Would a single Ruger 30mm ring be sturdy enough for the red dot to hold zero? I tried a Warne rail once with a cheap red dot and didn't like the setup. Thanks
i've see many pics/posts about mounting red dots on minis with one ring. many seem to like that set up....of course, i don't have personal experience.

have you used warne QD scope rings before? they DO hold zero well in my experience.

maybe someone with a similar "one ring" set up will chime in.

random pic of what i assume you are talking about.

Attachments

·
large member
2,089 Posts
Thanks hawkguy, looks like the setup I am thinking of doing.
you're welcome. as said, i'd consider a warne maxima QD ring for your ruger scope mount. then, off and on as you please for open sights or cleaning. they'll stay pretty damn close to zero after several removals and reattachments.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I used a rail which attached to the Ruger Mounts. The Vortex works very well with the Ruger Mini-14. Rock steady, with the single ring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am using a Primary Arms red dot with a Ruger 30mm ring. So far I have had no issues as far as the sight loosing zero or getting loose after firing the rifle. You can easily take the rifle apart for cleaning without removing the red dot and loosing your zero. The only problem I've had is not being able to remove the hand guard and I did come close to maxing out on the elevation when zeroing.

Attachments

·
large member
2,089 Posts
I am using a Primary Arms red dot with a Ruger 30mm ring. So far I have had no issues as far as the sight loosing zero or getting loose after firing the rifle. You can easily take the rifle apart for cleaning without removing the red dot and loosing your zero. The only problem I've had is not being able to remove the hand guard and I did come close to maxing out on the elevation when zeroing.
there ya go, dave s.....looks like dcruz got the answer for ya.

this set up makes sense to me. the mini just doesn't handle well and certainly doesn't look right with a large, overpowering optic. even an eotech looks ridiculously large on the mini imo. add that to the problems you may have with dis assembly or ejecting brass.....and i think you gotta realize the mini is better suited to compact optics.

i have always thought this "one ring" approach seemed like a good idea. for a red dot, i settled on a burris fastfire III for my new mini, attached to the new factory rail. good solid optic that is VERY small, low profile, and light.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please, have been searching for the answer to the question: is cowitnessing vital? And will a Strikefire cowitness with the Warne Maxima QD ring talked about?

They're only sold in pairs, correct? When we only need one...

I'm excited and chomping at the bit to push GO on a Strikefire but I see they're sold with the raised cantilever mount, which is no good on a 582 Mini, correct?

I just purchased and installed a GG&G rail in anticipation of the Strikefire, then got cautious over the mount... Happy at least to see the optic itself gets a thumbsup.... Thanks!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Forget co-witnessing, even a 1/3 co-witness, the Mini's iron sights are WAY too low for that. Using an over the action rail puts your dot up way high to begin with, getting a dot that has a raised mount (meant for an AR, as most current sights are) will make it even higher. You'll have a "chin weld" on the stock at best.
Look at Mannlicher's pic above to see how high his Vortex is.
Also, look how large the Vortex and dcruz's Primary Arms are compared to a FastFire III like hawkguy and I run. A FastFire weighs less than one ounce and is about the size of your thumb. It's so small and light you don't even know it's there, till you need it.
The purpose of a red dot is to suspend a dot that can be used to acquire a target, if a small compact optic can do that well, why choose a much bigger, heavier sight ?
Here is my Mini-14 when I had an Aimpoint PRO on it. While a nice optic with great battery life, it was way too big on the Mini. The PRO, comparable in size and weight to the Vortex, seemed huge on the Mini, and added as much bulk and weight as a scope would.

I have also found, from using a variety of red dot optics, both in the military and as a civilian, that the open "T.V. screen" type sight like a FF III, further from your eye, like on an Ultimak rail, gives you a better downrange view of your surroundings, than a tube type sight like the Vortex or Aimpoint PRO, mounted over the action, and only a couple inches from your eye. Call it peripheral vision, situational awareness, whatever, the advantage is there.
Ditching the over-the-action rail and going with an Ultimak gets the optic as low as can be, so while you can't quite get a co-witness ( those darn super low Mini irons), you do have a good cheek weld on the stock. When you shoulder the Mini, you're looking right through the center of the optic's screen, no having to scoot your head up to get a good sight picture.
With an Ultimak railed handgaurd, you will have zero problems with brass hitting the optic, removing the bolt, or god forbid, clearing a jam, because nothing is mounted near the action.
Additionally, the Ultimak helps stiffen the barrel which aids accuracy, and acts as a heat sink to keep your barrel cooler, much like a strut does.
It even makes the Mini nice to carry at the balance point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Giddy Up!
Dang it Sandog, you're a prince for putting in the time and helping me out like that.... Really cleared things up, and the photos are great... You painted the picture nicely and I'm gonna move in that direction... Thank you again, all the best...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I like what Sandog posted too. Thanks. I was already leaning in that direction for all the stated reasons.

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
25 Posts
Used the Ruger rail and a single UTG high mount QD ring with a Millet red dot that worked well and maintained zero.

Didn't work with Warne QD rings that clamp onto the scope mounts (no rail). Needed both rings to get reliable zero after reinstalling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts