Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking about buying a full lenght wood stock and putting a collapsible butt on it and a pistol grip, but I dont want a folder at all. Or retrofitting a wood stock folder to a collapsable stock but I don't want it to look like I just cut the hinge off, or made it inoperable, anyone ever done this?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have the TAPCO and it's great. I love that it's got the OPTION to mount a scout scope and the option to mount lights and foregrips etc as well.

You can cover up the rail up front. The stock is sturdy, rugged, and good looking as well! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a polymer folding stock system. Plus, it looks better and is more functional than ATI IMO!

The Choate folding stock looks cool, too. However, I need more modular options on my main rifle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the TAPCO and it's great. I love that it's got the OPTION to mount a scout scope and the option to mount lights and foregrips etc as well.

You can cover up the rail up front. The stock is sturdy, rugged, and good looking as well! I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a polymer folding stock system. Plus, it looks better and is more functional than ATI IMO!

The Choate folding stock looks cool, too. However, I need more modular options on my main rifle.
Looking at this right now Mini-14 Mini-30 Pistol Grip Stock, Adjustable and at the Tapco site, wondering if you can switch out pistol grips, butt stocks etc.?

·
Registered
369 Posts

·
Super Awesome Member
323 Posts

Buttstock-yes, pistol grip-no. Although I've been eyeballing it, it looks like AK grips would fit with a little tinkering.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I made a Butler Creek folder into a collapsible with an adapter years ago. There's enough wood in the rear receiver area to inlet an adapter after shaping the wood and install one. The pistol grip may need a little thought to make sure it stays tight... but it's all possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made a Butler Creek folder into a collapsible with an adapter years ago. There's enough wood in the rear receiver area to inlet an adapter after shaping the wood and install one. The pistol grip may need a little thought to make sure it stays tight... but it's all possible.
You wouldn't buy any chance have some pics would you? I thought the Butlers only came in a poly, thought about going that direction but I really wanted the wood stock, thanks for the suggestion. I have been on ACE already and liked the selection, my thought process was to go mil-spec so I could have more options. When you did the Butler I assume you left the original grip on there?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You wouldn't buy any chance have some pics would you? I thought the Butlers only came in a poly, thought about going that direction but I really wanted the wood stock, thanks for the suggestion. I have been on ACE already and liked the selection, my thought process was to go mil-spec so I could have more options. When you did the Butler I assume you left the original grip on there?
Unfortunately that picture has been lost with several others due to computer crashes and what nots. I did use the synthetic and kept the pistol grip as attached. Looking at my Ruger factory folder I think the regular wooden stock could be cut, shaped, and a cylindrical adapter epoxied or through bolted into place for the AR buffer tube. Yes, I've seen every stock know to man for the Mini, but sometimes you just want something that's uniquely your own and won't find five other folks at the range with the same setup. Look at photos and study the stock geometry - it'll make sense.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Don't have the photos, that was nearly 10 years ago. Here's what I'll do - I'll check them and see if I can make it work. then I'll post photos. I know using a BC folder works and the stock is very rigid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't have the photos, that was nearly 10 years ago. Here's what I'll do - I'll check them and see if I can make it work. then I'll post photos. I know using a BC folder works and the stock is very rigid.
I am back from Haiti for a short time, but will be going back real quick. But I am going to start this as soon as I get back. Thanks for the inspiration, and I may want to pick your brain when I return if that's OK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts