Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going everyone,

Ive been scanning these forums but couldn't find a answer so I decided to register and post up! Hopefully ill be using these forums alot more, but anyways.....I just bough a 197 series Ruger 14 for a pretty good price and I was wondering what I need to put a scope on it. I see that some posts talk about scope rings that I need (which I don't have) and a rail for the scope. I found this one onamazon. Anybody have any recommendations on what I would need to get a good scope setup on my rifle?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man! Ive seen rails varying in price between $10-100 and didn't want to spend too much on one as id rather put money in on the scope. That rail does look solid though so I might pick it up.

Your mini is a Pre-580 series though right? I just wanna make sure there wont be installation/clearing issues between the different models.

·
Shall Not be Infringed!
46 Posts
Thanks man! Ive seen rails varying in price between $10-100 and didn't want to spend too much on one as id rather put money in on the scope. That rail does look solid though so I might pick it up.

Your mini is a Pre-580 series though right? I just wanna make sure there wont be installation/clearing issues between the different models.
That is a good question. My mini is a 580 series, but I was under the impression the distance between the two proprietary scope mounts was universal on all minis, but I could be wrong about that.

Hopefully one of the fellas in the forum can confirm that, or maybe gundoc will chime in.

It's a solidly built piece and the price is really reasonable, especially if you want a rail instead of the Ruger scope mounts.

I think there is an issue with older model minis where the ejector sends the casing straight up instead of to the side. I watched a video on gundoc's website where he explained why that happens.

If your cases eject straight up, there might be a problem, but maybe not because the rail is thin and canted.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
A lot more information. Unlike Rotorhead's set up, your 197 series is a more conventional layout and that means keeping the scope a lot closer to the bore. Have you looked into the scout approach? My advice is to replace the hand guard with an Ultimak rail and mount a 1x red dot up there if your targets are inside 50 yards, or a Leatherwood 2-7 LER scope if your targets are over 50 yards.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately since I live in California, the gun is still in its 10 day waiting period at the dealer so I wont be getting it back for 5 more days. I BELIEVE its a ranch model and it doesnt have the rings for it, but I could be wrong. Here are some pictures the seller posted so if someone can tell from them if it has the ring scallops or not id appreciate it.

Also, with this gun I plan on sending it in to ASI to get barrel/trigger work done, I will be putting aftermarket sights on it but also putting a scope on it in the meantime. The reason for that is my gun of choice is a Mini 30 and since I couldnt find one for a reasonable price, I just put a down payment (pre-order) on one so ill be receiving it by the end of the year, at that time ill put the scope on the Mini 30 and use this gun with the sights only.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Love the look BW. That's a lot like mine, but my Mini 14 Scout wears wood furniture. That front rail works well with a long eye relief scope and 1x red dot sights. Wonderful set up.

And for what it's worth, I prefer the M14 look of the original rear sight. Very cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a Mini-14, not a Ranch Rifle. No scope ring scallops.

There are side mount scope rail systems, but they tend to be plagued with issues regarding holding and/or returning to zero. And your rifle will be ejecting the empty brass straight up at the scope.

Look into scout mounts and red dots or long eye relief scopes.

You also might want to consider Tech Sights as your aftermarket sights.
So is a scout mount my only real option? I heard about the side mounts but would rather not go with them as ive heard negatives about them as well.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Its the setup that would work best for you since your rifle does not have the ring scallops.

Yes you could go with a side saddle mount but you compromise a lot! You need a "chin weld" to see through the scope and with some of the older minis the ejected brass will hit it due to the straight up ejection pattern.

I have a Leatherwood 2-7 LER scope and love it! Awesome way to go if you want a bit of magnification ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look at the S&K scope mount for your mini 14. I have the same mini14 set up and it is very strong and works great. My gun will shoot right at MOA, so the mount is not moving or flexing. My only suggestion would be to rotate the scope 90 degrees to avoid the casings from hitting the adjustment knobs. No worries. This is my coyote rifle and I shoot out to 200 yards with it.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'll second the Leatherwood 2-7 LER. Mine does duty on my Mini 14 Scout and my M1A Scout. Love it. And I'll vouch for the Ultimak rail. Sits so low on the barrel and looks great. Never seen an Amega rail in person; I'm sure they are awesome too.

And while I'm sure ASI does a great job, I'll put in a plug for Brimstone. Just got my Mini 14 trigger back along with a pair of 10/22 triggers. All pull at under 3 pounds with a crisp break. Fabulous work.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Two real options, IMO, and they both involve trade-offs.

1. S&K or Wichita Arms mount. This will allow for a rock-solid optics platform, mounted directly over the action. However, you lose your iron sights because you must "gut" your rear sight. The rear of the mount inserts where the rear sight was and uses the "ears" for a through bolt.

2. Scout Mount. If you like forward-mounted optics, any of the scout setups will work and still allow you to use your iron sights. Some (UltiMAK and Amega) require the use of Quick-Detach rings in order to use your irons. Others (Aimtech and Ranch Products) were designed to be "see-thru".

IMO, the side-saddle mounts are too much of a pain to keep solid. Torquing the screws too tight will cause the bolt hold-open to function incorrectly. That being said, many here have had great luck with these mounts, and they're the only option for you if you want a traditionally-mounted scope and use of iron sights.

Amega:

UltiMAK:

Aimtech:

Ranch Products (shown on my 580 Ranch):

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.