Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I'm new to this board (but also belong to the 1911 forum.com board)and have always been interested in the Mini 14.
While it's probably been asked before, I would like to ask everyone's opinion on which magazines are the most reliable to use (outside of factory made ones)and why you think so.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

------------------
"ad maiorem Dei gloriam"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm afraid dusty rider is correct,for the most part. However, I've had some success with Triple K mags. For some reason, the two I have work flawlessly, although I've heard from other people that these blow as well. AMDG is right, amigo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Ted, I have 4 30 round Ramline AR15 Mini 14 combo mags that have many rounds thru them without one failure to feed. They fit in my AR but will not even feed the first round, but they work flawlessly in both my Mini 14s...Also I have 1 40 and 12 30 round PMI mags that also work flawlessly. I shot a buds mini the other day with his plastic eagle 30 round mags, they worked great, no failures to feed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just received a new 10 round Masen and it is terrible! It doesn't fit properly and is hard to get locked. The first round won't feed when the bolt is released and it usually quits feeding after the fifth round. What is it with these after market magazine manufacturers. They can get the throat, lip, follower, etc. dimensions from a factory 5 round mag and all they would have to do is put a decent spring in the damn thing! They must be Republican businessmen who are used to screwing working people.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I notice that the Ruger factory mags hold the bolt open on the last shot and it stays open if you take the mag out. My aftermarket mags either dont hold the bolt open at all or the bolt slams shut if you pull out the mag. PMI USERS: Do they hold the bolt open and keep it open like the Ruger factory mags ? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Not many to pick from PMI big $$$$ USA I think CENTURY owns USA or their quality control guy works there part time? With a little luck you can get some usa mags to work. One thing is not all mini 14 mag wells and lock ups are the same. Ive not checked close but have got to shoot with 6 guys at one time all with mini,s. Seems 2 of the 196 ser. # stn st ranch models there had real tight mag wells? These 2 rifles had alot of bolt over base FTF,s. We started looking how the bolt was contacting the rims, sure enough hardly picken em up while regular mini,s and another ranch were making more contact with the case rim. Most guys had PMI and MASON some had USA,s. Im not sure the way the mini,s trigger group clamps into the stock, that if the stock is a little thicker in the belly that it would keep the trigger group from seating all the way up in the reciever? Causing the mag to sit lower not letting the bolt to get enough of the cartrige rim? Anyway you look at it these are a pain. My best results have been with PMI,s and old FED. ORD. I do have a few 30rnd MASONS that run ok.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Where can I find PMI mags? I am looking for 10 round but will take 20 round.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Originally posted by dvdstdg
They must be Republican businessmen who are used to screwing working people.
As opposed to Democrat politicians who are screwing everyone?

Contact Masen and send them back. They'll stand by their product, and will replace them. Keep it up until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just spoke with Masen about my new magazine and they are aware of problems with the current batch ( if they know there are quality problems why are the shipping them)! Oh well anyway, I was told that the stamping die produced the lock tab too low on some in the current batch and that is causing the locking and feeding problems. I was told to return the one I just got and check back in about 60 days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Masen makes some very good mini mags but they occasionally have QC problems. They are very good about making them up though. I have some prebans that work great. I had to send some back for repair though because the rear mag catch was welded on in the wrong place.

For lotts of info on preban mini14 mags check out my Mini14 Mag FAQ at this site (I don't have the URL handy).

Thx-Ace

·
Registered
175 Posts
i tried a usa 10 round mag didnt work at all at first, but i took a small hammer and 'tuned it' now it works part of the time it feeds about 98% of the time and holds the bolt open sometimes but its still crap... gut

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sometimes ya gotta do a little tuning on them. I read awhile back on another site about a guy replacing followers in stainless USA mags with ruger followers. I,ve done this but prefer to use MASEN followers they,ve got some that are narrower than most. Last time I ordered they were $2.00ea. The only USA mags I have are their 30 and 40 stainless ones I,ve seen their blued steel mags but the stainless ones I haveb are heavier gauge material. I,ve got Ruger and Masen followers in em. They work very well. PMI,s are the best for your money 20 and 30,s work the best. Unless your wealthy then buy RUGERS. Ill see if I can post MASEN http://johnmasen.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
:) I bought a 10 rd USA and ad KKK. After close inspection, I found that USA mag used thicker steel but has a tendency to double feed. The KKK used very thin material, and I need to bend part of the lip of the magazine before it can feed. KKK feels cheap, but feed OK after using sand paper to remove sharp edges. Both are difficult to be engaged in the mag well and seem to be made in a hurry to beat the deadline.

·
Registered
689 Posts
ovpham if ya got 10rnd mags they should,nt have been in a rush to buildem. their use should be legal everywhere. The only 10rnd I have are masens who I BELIEVE SUPPLIES TRIPLE K. The ones I have are straight with no curve to yhe body. The locking tab is similar to the 5rnd RUGER mag. They have non removable plastic bottoms(floorplates,bases) no problems with mine! Almost all my shooting with the mini is with 20rnd PMI,s or RUGERmags. I did by a bunch of 40rnd PMI,s when WILSON,s had the closeout sale because at $18.00ea. I thought that was reasonable. But Ilike 20rnd. because their compact. I use 5rnd RUGERS for huntin chucks, Is that kkk mag built as the 10rnd I described?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes the 10rd mags can be made post ban. The bottoms of the 10rd Masen mags are removed in the same way the std 5rd ruger mags do. Thx-Ace

·
Registered
13 Posts
:) Thanks Flak 2 for the information. My KKK (20 rds) is made with very soft stainless steel. The bottom plate is blue steel that is kept in place with four prongs. All edges are sharp. The black plastic follower is OK and work right. The 10 rds USA is blue and appears to have much better workmanship and smoother edges.

Since I live 45 minutes from the range, I have to tune my equipment carefully before actually trying them out to minimize time wasting at the range. With magazines, beside slowly thumbing each cartrigde out of the loaded magazine one at a time to see how it behaves, I put the safety on and try to cycle live rounds through the gun manually carefully with the gun pointed at the safe direction of course. I also cycle the odd and even rounds slowly to see the feed angle and feel the point of resistance from both sides.

After smoothening the kkk's edges and fixing the obvious, I found that both kkk and usa mags have the tendency to double feed. Measuring the opening from lip to lip explains the failure mode: Ruger factory mag has a gap of 11.5 mmm while kkk has 15mm and usa has 14mm. I used a 1 inch square wooden stick to tap gently and evenly (45 degrees) on both sides (lips) of the mags with even and odd numbers of cartridges in alternatingly to monitor the angle and to clear the working area. KKK gap was reduced to 11.5mm easily because it is very soft. USA was much harder, and I managed to reduce the gap to 12.5mm only.

After correcting the gaps, both feed flawlessly now (manually of course). I will verify the reliability at the range in the future. Only time and repeating usage will tell. For my preferrence to date: USA is harder to tune, but it is made stronger and would stay tuned longer, I feel, and it has a feel closer to the factory mag afterward. I would choose USA to work with if I have to do it again. As a bonus for my efforts, both mags engage better and easier in the mag well after the tuning probably from reducing the distance from the front hole to the highest point of the mag lips after bending the lips down and closer to one another.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts