Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most rifle owners seem to end up with a select few scopes a majority of owners like for a particular rifle or carbine. What has become the most popular/prefered scopes for Mini-14 owners?

·
Registered
163 Posts
If I had the money, it would be a leupold VX-II in 1-4x ($300 or so). I'll probably end up with the Weaver Classic V-Series Scope 1-3x ($150). seems to be most of the performance for half the price.

If I won the lotto however, I would probably buy the Schmidt & Bender Police Marksman 2 Short Dot Rifle Scope 1.1-4x. Seems like just about the perfect scope for the mini. However, I could never bring myself to spend $2700 on a scope otherwise.

I hear a lot of interest in the millett DMS. But at 18 oz and 12 inches, it is a lot of scope. The leupolds and the weaver in a similar config (1-3x or 1-4x) are 9 oz and 9 inches (or a touch less)

If you can't guess, I am leaning toward a scope you can shoot on 1x with both eyes open, for the close in stuff, and still be able to have reasonable magnification to reach out to 100-200 yards. Where I live in CT, you would almost NEVER have a shot beyond 200 yards. You're always either in the woods or in a suburban/urban environment with limited line of sight

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I was kinda hoping to hear about established proven scopes people lean towards for the Mini.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got a Tasco 3-9 x 40 scope from Wally World last year. I've shot about 1000 rounds of 5.56 through my original Min, 200 rounds of 5.56 through my newer Mini, and it's still working great. I'm putting it on my new 6.8 SPC AR for testing. I'll let you know how it goes when I take it to the range tomorrow.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Bushnell Banner 4x on my Mini 14, and its killed more hogs than psuedorabies, out to 300yds. Dont get many shots past that distance around my area. I recently put an older Redfield 1.75x7 on my Mini 30, and so far its doing really well.

Cam

·
Registered
81 Posts
Leupold VX-III in 2-7 on my 6.8. I'd like to get a good 4-14X (for distance testing only), since my last five shot 50yd group was .75 with two touching.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have Burris FF II 2-7x . It does help my tired eyes to see the target clearly from 85yd and beyond also reasonable quick acquisition vs scopes of higher power.

I did plan to buy the Millet DMS, but came across this Burris at a price I could not resist.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It wasn't obvious at first but now it is becoming so. There is no one or two scopes that have become popular favorites with Mini 14 owners.

·
Registered
80 Posts
>>There is no one or two scopes that have become popular favorites with Mini 14 owners.<<

Yup, it's pretty much whatever "floats your boat".

·
Registered
351 Posts
You may have concluded a tad too fast, somehow I think there are plenty more Leupold & Nikon on this board.

It wasn't obvious at first but now it is becoming so. There is no one or two scopes that have become popular favorites with Mini 14 owners.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may have concluded a tad too fast, somehow I think there are plenty more Leupold & Nikon on this board.
Leupold and Nikon what tho?
In the 10/22 world, the Simmons Mag 22 3x9-32 owns it for the masses but there is a major following for target guns with the Mueller APV 4.5-14×40 AO and the Nikon 4x ProStaff for a rugged woods scope. It doesn't look like there is a king for the Mini 14.

Reactions: Mike Litoris

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I have a Leupold Rifleman 3x9x40, it doesn't jump around like a cheap scope will.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Centerpoint Quick Aim Red Dot 1 X 34...Works great, and am able to hit targets easily at over 100 to 200 yards...Only $50 @ Walmart.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Leupold 2.5x28mm IER ...

...mounted on an Ultimak Scout Rail. Strong enough for a Mini-14, low profile, excellent at 100+ yards, permits shooting with both eyes open, and costs about $225-250.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
How are you using the rifle? Target, hunting, SHTF?
Given the fact that the Mini has good accuracy and not great accuracy I would be more inclined to go with a rugged scope vs a expensive target scope.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts