Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Mossberg 500, 20" barrel, 8 rd mag. When loading it with 2 3/4 shells, it only holds 7. The 8th will only insert about half way in. I took the barrel off to make sure there was no plug in the mag, there wasn't. My brother has an older version that does hold 8 rds.
Why does mine only hold 7?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Not to insult your intelligence but is it a 7+1? other than that I honestly have no idea unless you look through the tube and make sure that the follower is not catching on something in the mag.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to insult your intelligence but is it a 7+1? other than that I honestly have no idea unless you look through the tube and make sure that the follower is not catching on something in the mag.
That's what I thought until I talked to my brother who said his was 8+1. I then looked in the description of the gun on site where I bought it, and it says 8rd magazine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is my understanding. If your gun had a 4 round tube then the extension would bring the capacity to 7+1 if it had the longer 5 round tube then it would bring it to 8+1... I think.. I have a Rem 870 but we use the Mossy at work for non-lethal. Ours holds 7+1

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
You can't put a magazine extension on a Mossburg 500. They only come either with the short tube or the long tube. You could change the tube and spring but you would also need the barrel that goes with magazine tube. Mossburg only makes a 6 shot, 6+1 for 7 and an 8 shot, 8+1 for 9.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can't put a magazine extension on a Mossburg 500. They only come either with the short tube or the long tube. You could change the tube and spring but you would also need the barrel that goes with magazine tube. Mossburg only makes a 6 shot, 6+1 for 7 and an 8 shot, 8+1 for 9.
That's what I thought, I have the 8 shot mag, but it's only holding 7 for 7+1 instead of 8+1. I emailed Mossberg customer support.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ok That clears things up for me. Sorry for the erronious information. I must have confused my Rem 870 with the M500's here at work. THe ones here at work don't appear to have an extension I just figured that they had been modified somehow to have an extension since they hold more rounds than your normal M500. My mistake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.