1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:
I'm sure this has been brought up "many a times"
Please just bare with me.
Talk to me, Why is one better than the other???

Thanks,
Espi:usa:

·
Registered
156 Posts
remington 870 hands down. The dodad that releases shells from the magazine(shell disrupter assembly i believe it is called) often gets out of time with the action bars and does not put a shell on the elevator so you wind up closing on an empty chamber. The receiver is aluminum and the 870 is steel. the mossberg rattles even when chambered and cocked the 870 does not. If having the safety is accessable with both hands is a issue the moss safety is on the tang. I had to convert my 870 to left safety. Im a huge fan of the 870 which I prefer over the benelli for general use. I can write a whole book on this subject. I have a registered 14 inch 870 which I love I will post a pic here soon. You can get the 870 express for about 250.00 with 18 inch barrel. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had a moss 590 for over 10 years now. I made my own plug for it out of a wooden dowel, and use it to hunt rabbits. I've shot the gun so much that all the bluing is worn off the slide area, and I never had a problem with the gun. In the summer I put a pistol grip on it and remove the plug for a great snake gun at the hunting lease. With the mag capacity I can have 8 rounds of 2 3/4 shells in the gun without one in the chamber for safety when riding on the fourwheeler.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think it depends on who you ask. I have both weapons and like them both.In my oponion you should get the feel of both guns. And which one feels more comfortable and go from there.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
723 Posts
They are all reliable it boils down to prefrance. A few things to consider are mag capacity,choke pattern and which one feels best to you, in your hands. I try to make sure it has a 3inch chamber. Boy just seen a nice picture of a FN shotgun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ya know I can't say anything bad about either cause there are things I like about both...like safety location...warranty...value..you couldn't go wrong with either in my opinion. I have a 590 I love and if I can find an older 870 that hasn't seen much use in Marine Magnum I would buy it in a second but the current production guns haven't been getting as good reviews as the older 870's plus I believe that Remington doesn't have their own service facility anymore. Either make would probably outlast any of us so pick which FITS you best.:usa: just my .02

·
Registered
236 Posts
it has to be the 870 in this race hands down mossberg cant hold a candle to the 870 . my favorite is the benelli m-3 auto pump that is the best investment i've made in a while next to my rem. 11/87 police magnum auto. just my opinion

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont like the Remington becuase I always jam my thumb when loading the 870 on that tongue thing. Thats why I liked the Mossberg and why I really like the Benelli Nova.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To all my Mossberg hating brothers: If the Remington 870 is sooo superior to the Mossberg 590, why did the Rem 870 fail the military tests and the Mossberg 590 passed and was chosen by the US Military as their combat shotgun. Also, recently Gun Test Magazine did a head to head test between Mossberg 500, Remington 870, and Winchester 1300. Guess who came out on top, thats right Mossberg. I have owned both Rem 870 and Mossberg 590 and the Mossberg is superior for a number of reasons. Only the older Remingtons are comparable to the Mossberg 590, the 870 Express is not in the same league. :p
(5 layer flame suit on):D :2guns:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I spent my hard earned money on a Mossberg 500.

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I was still duck hunting in Illinois, I bought a Mossberg 20 ga pump at Penny's because it was less expensive (read cheap). As far as I know, it is still at the bottom of the Illinois river between the boat ramp and Sanganois hunting area.

Don't know about now but they were (it was) junk. It wouldn't stay in time when operated resulting in no feeds, mis-feeds.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I think the 870 is a better gun. I bought a 20 ga youth for my son. But I shoot the 500 for one big reason. I'm a south paw. The 500 has the safety on the back of the recever. Much easyer for us leftys. I can tell you that I do shoot my 500 better than my Lt, hand 1100. I like my 500. It keeps putting meat on the table. But if you look at the 870, it has not changed in 50 years. Rem did it right the 1st time. Why mess with a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My feelings exactly Cameraman, being a Southpaw because of a left dominant eye. I appreciate the tang mounted safety of the Mossberg. My Mossbergs have been reliable in all types of weather, from -23 degees F to 105 degrees F. In wet weather and fair and rough treatment, not to mention mud, snow and dirt, it just keeps working on deer, ducks, pheasents and even black bear. It is unfortunate that Remington has seemed to cheapen the wonderful 870, by building the 870 Express. I am looking to buy an older 870 at the next Gun Show in this area. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally prefer Ford but Chevys are OK....Ooops wrong debate. Both the Remmy and Mossy are good guns. They are strongly constructed and reliable. I have owned numerous copys of both models. I personally prefer the Mossy due to the affore mentioned top tang safety and lack of transfer bars blocking the mag tube. I have both 870 Wingmasters and 500 Mossys at work to carry. I feel the quality of the older Wingmasters was higher than current Express grade guns. My current on the job shotty is the 590. I would prefer a 590 over even a Wilson/Scattergun tech incarnation (especially after seeing what happens to guns that go to work$$$$). Last word is guns are much like women, every man has his preferences, choose what works for you and master it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've 'had' both and 'have' Mossbergs, a 590 and a 500. Both are 'real world' outfitted and I'd rather have the Mossbergs. I guess it boils down the preference but to me the Mossy is more user friendly. Except for the trigger pack I can repair and upgrade anything in it on my own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts