Perfect Union banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very new to bolt action weapons and for my first one I was thinking of finding a Mosin Nagant. I love the look, and even had a chance to hold one myself (never fired one) and I can't find anything I dislike about the gun. Thats why I'm posting here :D What do you guys think about this for a first bolt action? Anyone else have one that would like to give me their opinion? Thanks for the replies guys :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a91-30, They are built like a tank, most have a heavy trigger pull,and they are long. Most are quite accurate and the war time ones are crudely manufactured, they were made in a hurry,for a range toy they are ok I like to collect old military rifles and that is the reason I have one. There are more modern rifles,that are better suited for hunting and target work. One thing about the Mosin is they are cheap and cheap to feed.

·
Registered
652 Posts
It's a very simple, reliable and rugged design which simple and inexperienced people conscripted into the Soviet army could use and not be likely to make fail in most conditions.

If you want a reliable and inexpensive rifle that shoots a powerful, inexpensive and readily available round, the MN would be the way to go at this point.

I chose to start stocking-up on Mausers when they were as cheap as MN's and the ammo was on a par for price. I like the Mauser action and the 8MM round much better but you'll be unlikely to find anything as cheap as the MN's right now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Mosin

I think if you can handle the recoil the Mosin is a great starter rifle. Ammo is extremely cheap so you can do a lot of shooting. They can also be surprisingly accurate. Plus if you decide to do any accurizing it's not a tragedy if you try it yourself.

I'm planning on picking up a handful more so I can practice on them. I'm not a Mosin expert but from what I do know you want to avoid the late war versions. Find a Finish if possible they are supposed to be the best.

·
Registered
127 Posts
MNs were my main entry into the world of firearms. 91/30s are the most common variant, being made in the tens of millions by the Soviet Union during WW2. They are generally quite accurate, ammo is easy to find and inexpensive, and the round is powerful enough for just about anything you'd want to hunt.

As stated, Finnish models tend to be more coveted as their barrels were made to tighter tolerances than Soviet ones, and Finnish stocks (particularly on the M39 - arguably the best MN variant) are superior to the straight-stocked Soviet ones.

Recoil on the longer barrelled versions aren't too bad, but can be fierce on the short barrelled M44 and M38 versions. I once had a Romanian M44 that was literally painful to shoot. However, I put on a cheap slip-on recoil pad, and it quickly became one of my best shooting rifles. Should have kept that one...

Anyway, MNs would be an excellent entry into the bolt-action world. I love the simplicity of their design - the bolt breaks down easily into seven parts, with no tiny, easily-lost springs or parts.

Only caution I can give you is that most 7.62x54 ammo is corrosive. Wash out your bore with scalding hot water afterward, or squirt some Windex down the bore before you clean with solvents in order to wash away the corrosive salts. I've always just used Windex at the range, and had no problems with any of my Mosins.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cabelas flyer shows them at 89 bucks again starting the 20th

·
Registered
59 Posts
bought a 30-59 variant several years ago for ~$60.

18" barrel, very nice wood, very accurate, it as the sweetest trigger, easily surpassing every thing else in the safe, regardless of price or quality. Kicks like a mule, usually gives a nice impressive muzzle flash.

Has to be the most fun-to-shoot rifle that I've ever shot.:D

·
Registered
34,503 Posts
bought a 30-59 variant several years ago for ~$60.

18" barrel, very nice wood, very accurate, it as the sweetest trigger, easily surpassing every thing else in the safe, regardless of price or quality. Kicks like a mule, usually gives a nice impressive muzzle flash.

Has to be the most fun-to-shoot rifle that I've ever shot.:D
I passed up the opportunity to buy one of those last time I saw AIM had them. I'd heard the reports of how much better they are than the M38 and M44, but the thing was and is, no one really knows much about their background: what are they, exactly? Sort of wish I'd gone ahead and taken the chance on what at the time seemed a roll of the dice, though by that point they were going for well over a hundred and may not have been the best specimens.

Any light you can shed on the provenance of yours?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've recently bought my first two Mosins, caught Mosinitis, (and milsurp fever in general) and am getting a C&R so I can make the most of it.

In order to answer your question- and I'm surprised no one asked thus far- what is your intended purpose of the rifle??

·
Registered
59 Posts
I passed up the opportunity to buy one of those last time I saw AIM had them. I'd heard the reports of how much better they are than the M38 and M44, but the thing was and is, no one really knows much about their background: what are they, exactly? Sort of wish I'd gone ahead and taken the chance on what at the time seemed a roll of the dice, though by that point they were going for well over a hundred and may not have been the best specimens.

Any light you can shed on the provenance of yours?
Big 5 sold a bunch of them about 12 years ago. Bought mine just before kalifornia put a 10 day waiting period on C&Rs. Read that they were arsenal-reworked in Romania(?) in 1959 (hence the -59). Most are very well done, and appear to never have been issued.

I've played with 3 MN variants, and think the 30-59 is the best that I've seen. Feel very luck to chance on it.

Here it is (bottom) with a friend's polish m44

DSCF0059small.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
they are awesome, thats for sure. ive got three so far. even have one that i cant get identified. not even on 7.62x54r.net. they dont have a pic of any like mine, and the identifier section doesnt help, either. ill figure it out one day, though. in the meantime im buying bevery decent one i can find locally. imo you cant beat the firepower and reliability for the price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts