Perfect Union banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email from a friend of mine who just returned from a couple years of missionary work in Thailand. He sold all his belonging including his guns when he left. Now he is back and got an M39. He was taking it apart and saw a crack on the bottom of the receiver, just where the barrel meets. I have attached a picture. What do you think? Ok to shoot?

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe but I wouldn't till it was repaired by a good gun smith. That can't help accuracy any and he is going to want to hit what he is shooting at without worrying about the barrel going down range.

·
Registered
370 Posts
There aint no way I would fire a gun in that condition with my face that close to the reciever! They make replacement parts (eyes, teeth, reconstructed bone pieces etc...) but they dont seem to work as good as the OEM models that God gave us to begin with. Know what I mean? Even if a gunsmith looked at it and said it was "okay" Im not sure I would wanna risk walking on water chancing that the ice dont break...

·
Registered
5 Posts
From the owner of the M39 with a cracked receiver...Question?

dh1633pm....Thanks for posting the original for me....... I guess I'll have to wait to shoot this again until I find a good gunsmith to check this out.

I saw on anothe "cracked receiver" post that they might could TIG weld it.

I have only put 10 rounds through it and they were Czech bxn light ball silver tips made in '65 - so no hot hand loads on my part.

And as I recall it came to me full of cosmoline so that might have been it since the rifle was assembled post war from Tikka M91 barrels made between 1940 and 1943 (this M39 was made with a 1940 Tikka barrel and a hex 1915 Tula 91 receiver).

In the course of this I found out that only 5,000 were done by Tikka postwar so it is slightly rare - so do I make it a shooter or relegate it to a collector?
Please post your thoughts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
dh1633pm....Thanks for posting the original for me....... I guess I'll have to wait to shoot this again until I find a good gunsmith to check this out.

I saw on anothe "cracked receiver" post that they might could TIG weld it.

I have only put 10 rounds through it and they were Czech bxn light ball silver tips made in '65 - so no hot hand loads on my part.

And as I recall it came to me full of cosmoline so that might have been it since the rifle was assembled post war from Tikka M91 barrels made between 1940 and 1943 (this M39 was made with a 1940 Tikka barrel and a hex 1915 Tula 91 receiver).

In the course of this I found out that only 5,000 were done by Tikka postwar so it is slightly rare - so do I make it a shooter or relegate it to a collector?
Please post your thoughts.
Thanks!
How did it shoot for you? If it's a shooter I would definitely have it repaired. I have a 91/30 made in 35 and a M1938 made in 1943 both Russian but made in the gazillions. Both were reworked before I got them and I intend to shoot them till my trigger finger don't work anymore. Purists will scram but I'm thinking you will not ruin the value by making it a safe and fun gun to shoot. That is what the old beast was made for. If you want to sell it down the line a good tight sample target to go with the gun may enhance the value to the seller. Just dos centavos from a dinosaur.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Finn Nagant M39 shoots?

This warhorse shoots straight and true.....

at 50 yards on an improvised rest 5 rounds sub 4" as I recall.......I'd like to see what she'd do on a real bench test after I get used to her trigger.

Leant to a friend she took a Texas buck at point of aim between 50 and 75 yards. He was very pleased. His rounds are included in the 10 she's shot since I got her.

My travels have limited my shooting. I am leaning towards repairing if it will then be a safe weapon to shoot and hunt with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: The mark is a machinist scribe mark and not a crack. Yeah!!
Makes me happy its a TIKKA M39 that I want to shoot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts