Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I'm currently waiting on my C&R paperwork to arrive. I requested the forms middle of last week so I will hopefully have everything filled out and mailed in by the end of this week. I'm considering a Mosen Nagant as a general use rifle. Target shooting, and black bear hunting. I do have a few concerns though.

to anyone that owns one:

how accurate are they? I wouldn't expect a tack-driver, but I would like 2moa or less(preferably less)

Are there any sources for inexpensive surplus ammo? I've contacted sportsmansguide since they seem to have a pretty good price, but they will not ship to MA. and the only local source for ammo is a mom and pop shop that only has wolf for 20 bucks a box(I'm ok with spending that kind of money for a round i will hunt with, but to target shoot i would like something cheaper) . I'm in their shop quite a bit and they will order just about anything for me by the box, but I would like to be able to pick up ammo in bulk to save a little money.

I know there are a number of different models, are there any that stand out above the rest?

Thanks for any info you can offer, If there are any good books or websites that i should look into before making my decision feel free to let me know. I'm just hoping to get an interesting rifle that I can target shoot out to 300 yards, and hunt a little with. As much as I love my Ruger 10/22 targets beyond 150 yards might as well be a mile.

thanks again
dan

·
Registered
206 Posts
Plenty accurate to engage man-sized targets to 400m+, provided the bore is good.

Most places online won't sell ammunition to MA residents directly, however. Something dumb involving the dealer having to be licensed, I'm not sure entirely on the details, you'd probably have to look it up.

The Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 (91/30) is far and away the most common version.
Probably second most common you'll run across are the M44 carbines with the folding bayonet.

I highly suggest you track down a Finnish M-39 Mosin, however. They're still C&R, and are probably the best made of all the Mosin rifles, even better than the original Russian ones. Plus, the Finns took very good care of their rifles, and so most of the ones you find with have very nice to almost perfect bores, etc.

Note that 7.62x54r is around the same power level as .30-06 or .303 Brit, so it's got plenty of oomph to deliver. On both ends of the action.

Uhh... You may have to file down the front sight some to get on paper at 100 yards; these rifles were made back in the days when infantry engagements at 600 yards was common thought, if not the reality of things.

Hubert Concepts has an anti-friction ball trigger upgrade for the M91/30, M38 Carbine, M44 Carbines, Finn M39's, Chinese Type 53 carbines, and the old 3-line Dragoon rifles. It's pretty spiffy and can help with a bad trigger pull.

You can also check out some other websites, umm... mosinnagant.net, 7.62x54r.net, Surplusrifleforum has a big big Mosin section.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yes, the Finnish M-39's as a whole generally shoot better than the Russian M91/30's.
They also have a pistol grip stock (except early Sako manufacture), and typically a better trigger pull. The sights can be used nearly dead-on at or near 100 yards on many, but some may need the higher front sight fitted to correct point of impact.
Remember, you raise the front sight to move point of impact down. In the case if it shoots too low, just raise the factory rear sight elevation.

Internet forum findings show that your best luck in the better M-39 shooters are the 'B' barrel or late manufacture dated M-39's. As they are all thought to be brand new barrels. (I know mine look like it)

A link to a little M-39 information.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM39.htm

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, what is a reasonably priced M-39 going for? I've seen some as much as 700, and some as low as 300.

·
Registered
271 Posts
thanks, what is a reasonably priced M-39 going for? I've seen some as much as 700, and some as low as 300.
If you want a top-notch dealing getting a M-39, I would talk with Dennis Kroh at Empire Arms. He has a website.

Cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ash.

I'm curious if counterbored at muzzle actually helps accuracy? I've noticed some that are, and some that arn't.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dan, check www.aimsurplus.com. Might find something you like.
My MN is a Finn 27 and so far, all I've shot in it is some old steel cased surplus and white box Winchester. Can't say it's a tack driver cuz I don't C 2 gud nomo. But....wouldn't hesitate a hunting shot at any reasonable iron sight distance. If I still hunted.<_<
See if you can find the comparison between the Mosin Nagant, M16 and the AK47 as a battle weapon on some of the sites listed. Pretty funny.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Re: ammo. Since no one will ship ammo directly to you in MA, you'll have to go with the local dealer. If they are amenable to ordering it for you, AIM Surplus has crates of Russian or Polish light ball (147 gr FMJ) as cheaply as you'll find it anywhere. The Polish is on stripper clips, so you won't have to buy any. AIM also might still have in stock the Prvi Partisan 147gr soft points for hunting. Midway USA still lists them as in stock.
Although the recoil of Mosin-Nagants is commonly held to be fairly brutal, it really isn't much different than anything else in that power range. Using the 147 gr light ball instead of the 180 - 203 gr heavy ball does help. IMO, if you are going to get one of the shorter Mosins, the light ball is more practical anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I've emailed a few websites that have 7.62x54r in bulk, and a few will ship to MA no problem. so that shouldn't be much of an issue. i just don't understand why I can buy bricks of ammo(.22lr) from cabela's website and have it shipped no problem. but other companies won't. I know its something with MA laws but I don't see why some companies can and some can't

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have 2 M44's,but to be honest, I wouldn't use them hunting.The only 2 reasons is one,I like a peep sight,and the biggest is the SAFETY on a Mosin Nagant rifle SUCKS!IMO

·
Registered
284 Posts
The barrel condition will play a large part in deciding whether or not a 91/30 will be suitable for hunting at least in terms of accuracy. Trying to get 2-3 MOA at a couple hundred yards may be tough to do. Sights will play a big part too. It may take some work to get a scope installed. Counterboring the barrel can help with accuracy as will having the muzzle re-crowned.

Midway USA also has replacement triggers and other parts to bring the receiver back to good condition.

Some say the 91/30 will show increased accuracy with the bayonet installed. Might be hard to explain to a game warden why you are hunting with a fixed bayonet unless you intend to defend against a charge by enemy deer.....:lol:

Ballistically, the 7.62x54R is very close to a .30-06 and there are a few ammo makers offering soft-point ammo in 160 and 180 grain. The newer commercial ammo is reloadable and you can get new brass too. But the Mosins like a .310 bullet so you need to shop around for that diameter.

There is lots of surplus ammo floating around but it is to be considered corrosive so you have to clean the rifle immediately after shooting. Warm water or something like Windex with ammonia works until you can get home and clean the rifle using "normal" equipment and materials.

Otherwise the 91/30 is fun to shoot and can be found for around $100 on sale at Places like Cabela's or Big 5 Sporting Goods. With a C&R license, you should be able to get some very nice rifles in good condition.

The M38 is a cut-down version of the 91/30 and the M44 is also a short barrel rifle with a folding bayonet. The short barrel rifles can be brutal to shoot with 180 gr ammo but the huge muzzle flash is fun when shooting around dusk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you want better sighting equipment, you can get a scout scope mount that replaces the rear sight without any drilling or tapping. Hence you can readily return it to original condition if the need should arise.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I killed a doe at over 200yrds using a hungarian m-44. The bullets were S&B 174gr. Sierra Matchkings.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just finished my '43, 91/30:
Boyd's stock, receiver and pillar bedded, Vortex Viper glass.
2 MOA with milsurp ammo at 100 yards a couple of weeks ago, took her to 225 yards this weekend with my first handloads for it (.311, 174 gr. SMK's) and couldn't miss a 6" plate- but obviously couldn't get a better idea since we weren't shooting paper.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
tobnpr.....
Thats a nice setup you have. What powder are you using with the 174SMK's?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks...
It was odd. I started over 52.0 of Varget. Couldn't hit a 12" plate at 225, while the week before, the scope had been zeroed at 100, but with Russian milsurp loads.

Shots were everywhere with the lighter load. When I got up to the 53.5 loads, that's when they tightened up and got accurate. I really like Varget, and we use it with our .223 and .308's, but it doesn't meter very accurately with my powder drop. Any suggestions on a good ball powder that's not overly temp sensitive?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mosin M91/30

I just picked up one of these the other day. A very nice gun with the bullet characteristics close to that of a 30.06. I purchased one at dunhams Sports(Michigan) for 89.00 and it was in mint shape. I did place it on an ATI cammo stock(no other mods so as to be able to change to original) and 880 rounds of ammo from sportsmand guide for $160. to shoot, well it kicks a little more than my 30.06 but accurate as all get out at 100 yards. I believe it to be a great gun for target shooting along with the occasional fireball, as a secondary hunting rifle and a good Zombie apocalypse gun when you want to reach out and touch someone at a distance. I plan to master this gun to 1000 yards.:)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts