Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Trapper Carbine, 16inch barrel in 45 LC. This is an incredibly handy little rifle. I hand load for this rifle. I load a Speer 200 gr. "Flying Ashtray" hollow point to an estimated 1650 FPS. I live on a 500 acre ranch not far off a major highway. Unfortunately people dump off dogs all the time in the area. Occassionally they show up half starved and mad at the world (probably why they were dumped to begin with). I was forced to dispatch what a looked to be a cross between a Rotweiler and a Bull Mastiff. The bullet impacted him dead center of his chest from 20 yards. He rose straight up on his hind legs and rolled over on his right and never moved again. While the entrance wound was impressive (there was no exit) there was very little blood, indicating that he was quite literally dead before he hit the ground. He weighed out at an impressice 140lbs! The trapper is a great pickup/ranch rifle!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
the .45 colt in a lever gun is a handy tool, i own a model '94 Trails End in .45 colt, it has the 20" barrel, most recently my load has been 240 grain JHP's with 22 grains of 2400, it chronys at 1650 fps at the muzzle. i plan on trying some 300 grain JHP bullets soon. i have used this rifle to get rid of stray dogs too, it does an excellant job of getting rid of varmints.

·
Registered
541 Posts
:cool: I own a 45LC in a Marlin 1894.16 1/2 barrel.I LOVE it.The bullet probably didn't exit because its designed for handgun speeds.I mainly use hard cast bullets.250/300 grains and always have an exit wound.Even on hogs.With a bullet that starts at .451 expantion is less important,its already expanded. :sniper:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by gutpile@Dec 13 2001, 06:55 PM
i plan on trying some 300 grain JHP bullets soon.
I tried the 300g XTP in a Marlin 1984 several years ago. Seated to the deep cannelure there isn't enough case capacity to get a really good magnum powder charge in the case. You can get max charges of AA5 or HS7 but these don't take advantage of the carbine length barrel. Seated to the shallow cannelure the loaded round would not cycle properly and when single loaded they hit the throat of the barrel hard enough to prevent chambering.

After playing with it for a couple of months I decided that 230-270g was fine for 45 Colt and if I needed a bigger bullet the 45-70 was available.

Most of my loads are with 240gJHC, 250gXTP and a full power Blackhawk/Contender charge of H4227. I have some chronograph tapes from way back. I'll have to post them. I think it flirted with 1700fps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We've had the same problem with people dropping off their animals out here in southern Arizona. People seem to think it is more humane to dump their pet/s and hoping someone will feel sorry for them and take them in. It does happen this way sometimes. But generally if the animal survives they tend to come together and form a pack. They are not afraid of humans. Unfortunately they are definitely not afraid of kids. A little girl about ten years old was mauled and killed by a pack of ex-domesticated dogs. She was waiting at the school bus stop early one morning.

That is why many of us carry. Any dogs running around are considered dangerous. I don't like doing it.

I use to carry a Colt Python. But now it's a Winchester 94 Trapper in 45 Colt. Works a whole lot better.

I wish I knew who dropped off those dogs. I would be paying them a little visit too.

I have kids also.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I was going to buy a lever .45 before I bought my mini 14, but it's hard for me to get ammo for being 18. I have a friend who is a dealer, and who I would buy the gun from said he would always sell me ammo for it, but I would rather have a rifle cartridge.

Haven't had to deal with any dogs but I think a .45 carbine could be in my near future, probably a Marlin 1894(16.5 inch barrel)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts