Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love this gun. It's my summer carry and my all-time favorite trail hiking gun.

Light, deadly accurate and deadly. Crimson Trace is perfect for low light.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Except for the sights and grips, I'm wondering how this differs from my "Ladysmith" 3" on a J-frame Mdl 60 chassis?
How old is your Ladysmith?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Logos: No idea as to its age since I bought it at a Friends of the NRA auction 2 years ago, Stainless with optional S&W wood stock with finger grooves. Numbers at bottom of grip include 461xx on left bottom of grip; 7995-1xx at right bottom of grip and BFC 45xx at bottom of grip facing up.

Any idea as to age would be appreciated. It has sights forged integrally with the barrel. Very snug action. Appears not to have been fired much. I carry it occasionally. Maybe not as competent as my Walther CCP, but I really like the Smith.
Ralph

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Logos: No idea as to its age since I bought it at a Friends of the NRA auction 2 years ago, Stainless with optional S&W wood stock with finger grooves. Numbers at bottom of grip include 461xx on left bottom of grip; 7995-1xx at right bottom of grip and BFC 45xx at bottom of grip facing up.

Any idea as to age would be appreciated. It has sights forged integrally with the barrel. Very snug action. Appears not to have been fired much. I carry it occasionally. Maybe not as competent as my Walther CCP, but I really like the Smith.
Ralph
When you open the cylinder you will see a model number that reads 60 dash something (like 60-3 or 60-6).

What is that number?

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never mind.

I checked with some Smith and Wesson folks and they say 1990 and a 60-7 based on the BFC. They also said there are fewer of that model in the Three-Inch version so you may have a rarity factor going for you.

You made a good purchase.
Best of luck!

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, and I think mine is early to mid eighties as a 60-4, so very similar in construction to yours probably.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
The fellas on the Smith and Wesson Web site just sit there waiting for us to come and ask such questions. They are very good at dating and revolver info. This one was a Korean War bring back by a Marine MP that I picked up. Found out it was a first run Combat Masterpiece. I thought it was a Model 10 at first so it was a nice surprise! Dam thing punches one hole at 10 yards.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fellas on the Smith and Wesson Web site just sit there waiting for us to come and ask such questions. They are very good at dating and revolver info. This one was a Korean War bring back by a Marine MP that I picked up. Found out it was a first run Combat Masterpiece. I thought it was a Model 10 at first so it was a nice surprise! Dam thing punches one hole at 10 yards.
View attachment 64439
Nice find. So it's a Model 15?

Does it have any military markings?

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only ask because if it had Marine Corps markings it could settle an ongoing question about Marine Corps issue guns in Korea.

None have been found thus far.

Consensus on this, at least thus far, is that a Korean War Combat Masterpiece could have only been a personal weapon brought along by the owner.

If your seller was an MP he would have been issued a 1911A1 in .45 ACP so he wouldn't have needed to bring his own .38 Special Combat Masterpiece.

Here's a link to a discussion of this very question.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's "M-60-7". What do you make of that?

Thank you,
Ralph
From post #9
I checked with some Smith and Wesson folks and they say 1990 and a 60-7 based on the serial BFC.
They also said there are fewer of that model in the Three-Inch version so you may have a rarity factor going for you.
You made a good purchase.
As for the "M" I'm not sure, but possibly stands for a piece that was factory modified in some way.

You should join the S&W forum. They're happy to answer such questions.

Or maybe somebody here will know?

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Logos: Sorry I'm late getting back to you re the number on the frame; I was away for a few days.

It's "M-60-7". What do you make of that?

Thank you,
Ralph
I hope all your questions were sufficiently answered.

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you, Logos, and others who responded. I expect my Ladysmith 3" stainless dates from around 1990 and that's fine. About the same age as my Colt "Double Eagle Lightweight Officers ACP" in .45 ACP, my favorite carry piece and why I am on this fine forum.

Ralph

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you, Logos, and others who responded. I expect my Ladysmith 3" stainless dates from around 1990 and that's fine. About the same age as my Colt "Double Eagle Lightweight Officers ACP" in .45 ACP, my favorite carry piece and why I am on this fine forum.

Ralph
You're welcome.

Did you suspect that your gun was over 30 years old?

You got one of the best.

Enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Logos: I'd thought it was at least 20 years old. My Smiths go back to the Model 27, .357, made in 1956 and a .32 Hand Ejector made in 1970, or at least that's when I bought it new from the dealer.

Ralph

1 - 19 of 19 Posts