Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Mo-Reaper for my 582 Mini at some point soon. But I have a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to, that I hope a few of you can help me with.

1) Is anyone using Tech Sights also? How nicely do these two play together?

2) How much louder is the bang? On a scale from 1-10, I guess. I've heard of some brakes making it nearly unbearable. I know that's probably not the case here, but if it's too much louder it could get me kicked out of the range. And I definitely don't want to be too much of a nuisance.

3) How much length does it add at the end of the barrel? This one is particularly important to me. So if anyone could answer, that would be awesome.

4) Any complaints in regards to corrosion or stress cracking or anything of that nature? Not to say it isn't a quality product, just want to get as many experiences before making the investment.

Thanks all.

Maybe KMO could chime in on this too?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I cannot speak to the Mo-Reaper ( what I HAVE heard it is excellent ).
BUT! I just put a set of Tech Sights on the rear of my Mini-tac and they are awesome. Way better than stock Ruger.

·
Registered
271 Posts
1. No feedback as I don't have Tech Sights.

2. No real feedback as I shoot outdoors.

3. 1 - 1 1/2"

4. No issues from either of my Minis.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jgodwin2: That's what I hear. I have a set on the way.

@bai78: Any input regarding noise is much appreciated. Thanks for answering my other questions too, though!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well, it didn't appear any louder when I did shoot at the range. It was outdoors but covered from a bench with tin roofing/shingles didn't necessarily help it much either. Sorry, I couldn't tell you the measured db's before & after the MoReaper.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries. Not really looking for statistical data. A good 'ol ear test is good enough for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was interested until I read this on the Mo-Reaper site:
". . . Q: When I installed my Mo-Reaper, and inserted the roll pin, the unit is somewhat loose. Is this normal?

A: In most cases, this is somewhat normal. The factory front sight is pressed onto the barrel before the roll pin is inserted. The Mo-Reaper is not designed to be pressed on like the factory sight, so it will typically be slightly loose with just the roll pin installed. . . ."

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
". . . Q: When I installed my Mo-Reaper, and inserted the roll pin, the unit is somewhat loose. Is this normal?

A: In most cases, this is somewhat normal. The factory front sight is pressed onto the barrel before the roll pin is inserted. The Mo-Reaper is not designed to be pressed on like the factory sight, so it will typically be slightly loose with just the roll pin installed. . . ."
If I'm not mistaken, the rest of that answer states the screws provided will tighten the Mo-Reaper. The looseness is only when you have just the roll pin inserted.

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as noise, the Mo-Reaper takes a little away from you and gives it to a bystander. The mini is loud anyway IMO. The biggest difference your going to see is in muzzle jump and flash...it's amazing. Any good brake will accomplish this but most are threaded. This is the best slip-on there is IMO.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

After the unit is vertically aligned, the two set screws may be tightly secured on the underside. Thread locker (medium strength) is recommended for these set screws. The Mo-Reaper must be installed with the roll pin and both set screws. Failure to include all three anchor points may result in a unit failure when firing.
Just like USSF06 says, it's loose until you set the screws on the bottom. I think if that was a problem, we'd hear a lot more about malfunctions.

As far as noise, the Mo-Reaper takes a little away from you and gives it to a bystander. The mini is loud anyway IMO. The biggest difference your going to see is in muzzle jump and flash...it's amazing. Any good brake will accomplish this but most are threaded. This is the best slip-on there is IMO.
So it isn't necessarily "louder" per say. But instead, the sound is more concentrated to the sides making it seem louder to those near me?

I'm mostly just buying this for the front sight (I don't like the factory winged sights very much). The brake and its features are just an added bonus. Plus it looks AMAZING

·
Registered
17 Posts
I lost a Mo-Reaper down range, it was properly pinned and the set screws were installed with lock tight. I enjoyed it right up until the moment. The stock sight has been re installed and I am going to have to have the barrel cut an inch and threaded.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long were you able to shoot with it before that happened? What did KMO have to say about it? Was it possibly not aligned properly?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have both the Tech sights and the Mo-reaper I think they are a great combo and give a good sight picture. The Mo-reaper wasn't loose once you tighten the set screw. For the guy that lost it down range I'm sorry to hear that because it sounds terrifying. I have shot about 300 rounds since installation with no issues. The tech sights match up nice but the standard .62 aperture that comes with the tech-sight lines up over the hood of the Mo-reaper. I went and bought the IRAS aperture system they sell (costs 15 bucks), which gives you multiple aperture sizes (.42, .62, .86). I use the .86 aperture which is larger than the Mo-reaper Hood and allows you to line up concentric circles which is fairly instinctual. As far as sound I didn't notice enough of a difference to bother noticing. The Mo-reaper only adds maybe an inch I would say.

Sry was going to post pics for you to show how the sight picture looks but it won't let me says I'm missing a security token? Whatever that means

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The tech sights match up nice but the standard .62 aperture that comes with the tech-sight lines up over the hood of the Mo-reaper. I went and bought the IRAS aperture system they sell (costs 15 bucks), which gives you multiple aperture sizes (.42, .62, .86). I use the .86 aperture which is larger than the Mo-reaper Hood and allows you to line up concentric circles which is fairly instinctual.
Hmmm, I hadn't heard that before. Fascinating find Guntwin. The standard 0.062 Tech Sight aperture lines up too high, but the larger 0.086 lines up so that the "hood" of the Mo Reaper is concentric with the rear aperture? That sounds very cool. Don't suppose you could post a photo of that sight picture?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The front sight post looks really high in the Mo-Reaper hood. And it looks like your Tech Sight rear sight is mounted on an extra piece. The Tech Sight on my 582 mounts directly to the screw hole on the receiver. I take it your's is different?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea mine is a 187 Ranch model, so the tech sight came with an adapter piece to mount the sight on. It doesn't sit quite as flush with the reciever but still looks fine. My rifle had the flimsy flip up peep sight, needless to say the tech sight is a big improvement. It might look higher because of the way I had the camera, not an easy picture to get. However you do use the Mo-reaper like a military sight though so you want to put the bead right on your target rather than have it just above it.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That makes sense. Great look. I know the eye "naturally" centers the post within the rear peep, but the prospect of also centering the front ring within the rear ring is very interesting.

Do you notice much break effect from the Mo-Reaper? The brake on my M1A Scout really keeps the muzzle flat, even through several rounds of rapid fire.

·
Mini Man
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw those aperture inserts on their site. Thought I'd try shooting without them before purchasing. How was getting the "insert-ready aperture" installed? Did you have to take the whole sight apart? I do like those concentric circles. Thanks for the pics and nice Mini.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yea the brake works well there is really no muzzle rise on my mini now but there never was much in the first place. The front sight post on the Mo-reaper is adjustable so if it seemed to high to you when you received it you can always lower it, the front sight post is threaded.

The insert-ready aperture for the Tech sight is simple to install. You just unscrew the post with the current aperture out of the base with your windage adjuster until it comes out. (When it comes out you just want to be careful not to lose the bead and spring that is in there. I had no problem it didn't even try to come out but it is a spring loaded so it could). Then screw in the new supplied aperture post. Once this is in, you have the choice of three rubber different sized aperture inserts (sizes stated in earlier post). You have to use some oil or vasoline to help get them in but its not difficult and they fit tight. I took me about 5 minutes. Replacing the front sight was much more difficult for me. The factory one was on tight, just let it soak in a jar of PB Blaster for a day and night before even trying to take it off.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts