Perfect Union banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. So I finally took some interest in my old 188 Series Ranch gun and took it apart for a cleaning. I followed Ruger's YouTube video on disassembly, and quickly realized that I was missing the Buffer Cross Pin (Ruger p/n: MS06610). Hmmm. Did it fall out and I missed it? I doubt it. I mean, I noticed it right away, and I've been looking all over my work area for the last 4 hours. The gun fired 3 rounds a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that, it sat in a closet for years as a hand-me-down from my old man who bought it used back in the 90s.

So, would it have functioned correctly without it? I have not, and do not intend to, reassemble the gun without it. The gun still has thick grease from assembly inside, so if someone did go inside, it wasn't to degrease it. I don't know what to think. I'm still combing for the pin. Any thoughts? I was intending to ship the gun off to the GunDoc's shop in Montana, but I'd like to send him a complete gun to start with.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi there, that pin does come out very easily, it can fall out itself when the reciever is not in the stock and the pressure has been taken off it by removing the opp rod spring.
shouldent be too much of a drama to get another though.
Quite honestly i think any old piece of steel the correct diameter would do :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
When I bought my used 188 at a gun show, I realized after I got home that one of the screws used for elevation adjustment was missing. Ruger sent me 2 replacements at no cost, not even shipping. I'd call them up, don't assume you'll get the pin for free, but they are good and fast about getting you what you need.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
That pin is pretty important. If you have fired the rifle without it in place, I'd be surprised to hear that it cycled properly. When you do get the replacement pin, realize that it is very important to position the "tang" part of the rod on the barrel side of the cross pin. If this tang rests against the pin on the wrong side, your rifle will not cycle. At best, it would perform as a single action shooter...;)

(For just a couple of bucks, get the correct size factory pin...)

·
Registered
108 Posts
That pin is pretty important. If you have fired the rifle without it in place, I'd be surprised to hear that it cycled properly. When you do get the replacement pin, realize that it is very important to position the "tang" part of the rod on the barrel side of the cross pin. If this tang rests against the pin on the wrong side, your rifle will not cycle. At best, it would perform as a single action shooter...;)
I was in idiot mode when I reassembled my mini. I can vouch for that.:blink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts