Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my new mini-14 for the first time today. I first shot 20 rounds of remmington. no problem. then shot 5 rounds of AE Tactical 223. No problem. Then loaded five more rounds of AE tactical 223. First round was a misfire. The other four rounds were fine. Shot five more rounds with no issue. Then loaded five rounds of AE XM193 5.56 into the mag. First round was a misfire. The other four rounds shot fine. Any ideas why I experinced misfires? Is it a coincidence that the two misfires were the first round in the magazine? Just unlucky? I had asked Federal what was "tactical" about there Tactical ammo. They responded that they had a harder mil spec porimer. Maybe the mil spec primers are causing issues? Thanks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hmm interesting. I wouldn't think the primers would be THAT hard. It's possible that you might have a weak firing pin spring though. Doubtful, but possible. Try to run some regular old plain Jane ammo thruogh it again and see what happens. If there's a problem, Ruger should service it no problem. It'd be a pain to have to send it back but then again I did that once with an LCP and they threw in an extra mag!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi,

Just a thought, when you seated the mag and released the slide, did you let it "fly" from a fully retracted starting point...as you should or did you ease it forward slowly? The slide needs a lot of energy to properly strip a round off the mag and fully rotate the bolt into battery. If you ease it forward, the bolt may not be in battery and the firing pin will then be blocked by the safety bridge and a misfire will result.

Ed

PS: Don't ever place an individual round in the chamber (without a magazine installed) and then let the slide/bolt slam forward on the round. The Mini (and many other autos) utilize a floating/inertia firing pin and the momentum of the pin could result in a slam fire. When a magazine is in place, the energy required to strip a round off the stack slows the impact sufficiently to prevent a slam fire.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,

Just a thought, when you seated the mag and released the slide, did you let it "fly" from a fully retracted starting point...as you should or did you ease it forward slowly? The slide needs a lot of energy to properly strip a round off the mag and fully rotate the bolt into battery. If you ease it forward, the bolt may not be in battery and the firing pin will then be blocked by the safety bridge and a misfire will result.
My thoughts too...Been there done that :lol:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Since the first round seems to be the common denominator here, I agree with the above advice. Let that slide go like a sling shot & see if that fixes it...It's all in the technique! ;)

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
when you seated the mag and released the slide, did you let it "fly" from a fully retracted starting point...as you should or did you ease it forward slowly?
This would be my first question as well!

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The next time it happens, assuming it will, slap the forward assist and see if it will fire then. If so, it could be either a problem with how you manually load the first round or a magazine problem with 5 rounds loaded. Try loading only 4 rounds in the magazine and see if the problem persists. If it still misfires on the first round, it's probably how you manually load that first round. Use the sling shot method like others have suggested.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Don't be afraid to let that baby slam home! It make the most awesome noise when it locks back into battery aswell.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
It looks like he had less than 100 rounds through the rifle. If everything is brand new and still wearing in, there may have enough friction to keep the rifles from properly loading the rounds. But, I'm thinking like most of you, let the slide slam home with the first round. kwg

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
some mini's take a couple hundred rounds of burn-in to be reliable.

More excuse to keep shooting :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
PS: Don't ever place an individual round in the chamber (without a magazine installed) and then let the slide/bolt slam forward on the round. The Mini (and many other autos) utilize a floating/inertia firing pin and the momentum of the pin could result in a slam fire. When a magazine is in place, the energy required to strip a round off the stack slows the impact sufficiently to prevent a slam fire.
Hmmm...good advice. I didn't think that was an issue with a floating firing pin (as opposed to fixed). Just today I was single-loading some extra-long 82 grain Bergers...they shot like crap outta my rifle, so I guess I won't have to worry about it again!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Like others have said, rack that charging handle back and let it go. Another thing is its a new gun. Its tight and some of the parts need to be work polished. it needs to break in so shoot and get a couple hundred rounds through it.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Where did you come up with this nonsense? Is this something you know to be true as per Ruger or is this just another Internet myth? Please, show us where Ruger warns against this type of loading in the Mini14/30 manuals.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Hi Steve,

Just common sense. Not just mine, others agree... Wiki and here... Fulton Armory The firing pins are light enough to prevent slam fire in "normal" use. Releasing a fully retracted slide on a chambered round is "abnormal" and asking for trouble. YMMV

Ed

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about a "slamfire" by single loading. Only if the firing pin is stuck in the extended position would it fire while slamming into battery. SKS shooters know what I'm talking about, the first time you rip loose 10 rounds in .2 seconds it changes your life. 20 in .2 seconds might be fun. :)

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Ruger says otherwise! Ruger clearly states in the Mini manual just the opposite. Read your manual, specifically on how to load the Mini single shot without the mag.

OK, I'll help you out page 14-16 Mini-30 manual, they say to load a round into the chamber,
Draw the slide handle all the way to the rear and release it, allowing the slide
to snap forward under full spring force.

With Ruger's reputation for safety and warnings, I highly doubt Old Bill would instruct his customers on this type of loading if it were not 110% safe.

When you need the facts go directly to the source, Wiki not so much!

·
Registered
638 Posts
OK...not trying to start anything. Do as you wish. More info ...if you wish... Fulton Armory We can all agree that the Mini is built on a Garand style action.

Ruger feels it's fine...do it.

Ed

·
Registered
546 Posts
Slamfire

OK...not trying to start anything. Do as you wish. More info ...if you wish... Fulton Armory We can all agree that the Mini is built on a Garand style action.

Ruger feels it's fine...do it.

Ed
Gotta agree with you. Don't want to start anything either but:

Shot a lot of hipower matches back in the 1980s. M1 Garand and M1A - gas gunner.

Saw several slam fires. Most were traced to Federal match primers - soft cups at the time. To this day I only use WW primers.

M1s - we used SLED clips to prevent slam fires.

Check your primers on M1s and M1As after you drop the bolt on a chambered round. Most primers will have a little dimple where the FP made contact. Just takes one sensitive or high primer for a KB.

GI Garands are tough - never saw a GI receiver busted. Broken OP rods and cracked bolts.

M1As - saw one where the bolt was hanging out the rear of the receiver which had lost the entire heel section. The right bolt lug had sheared off and disappeared - the clip guide was bent and smashed and the op rod was broken. My friend had little red dots all over his face - spent some uncomfortable time in a doctor's office staring at the doctor picking brass out of his eye. High primer - poor reloading technique. Springfield replaced the rifle anyway.

Slam fires can occur for reasons other than stuck firing pins. Reason CCI makes No. 34 and No. 41 primers.

CCI Ammunition - Primer Details

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.