Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my readings and all the research that I have done the Mini14 and Mini30 are the same gun apart from caliber.
So those of you who own them am I wrong are there diferences that I am missing?
I want to get the 30 as I see this being a better caliber choice for hunting. I know the 14 has a reputation as being a forever gun, but I had never heard of the mini30 before I started doing a bit of research.
Are they as long lasting as the 14's?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Same design and pattern only slightly larger for the 30 caliber round. I think the first Mini 30's showed up around 1986. kwg

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I have both -

they are the same - except the 30's receiver and parts are just a wee bit larger than the 14.

other than the very subtle size difference they are identical in all other respects

a mini 30 will last as long as a 14 - just take good care of it and try not to bast too much cheap russian ammo through it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have both -

they are the same - except the 30's receiver and parts are just a wee bit larger than the 14.

other than the very subtle size difference they are identical in all other respects

a mini 30 will last as long as a 14 - just take good care of it and try not to bast too much cheap russian ammo through it.
Only thing I can add to that is when I ordered a new extractor and extractor plunger for my Mini-14, I found out that the exact same part is used on both the Mini-14 and Mini-30. That was from the MidwayUSA site.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Many of the part will interchange.... They "nearly" the same weapon.

One thing on longevity... This is only my opinion but the Mini-30 may very well outlive a Mini-14. The 7.62x39 has a operating pressure of 45,000 psi where as the 5.56 Nato is 62,000 psi.
Also, the 5.56 moves out at 3100fps where as the 7.62x39 has a velocity of 2400fps. Both the decreased pressure and the lower velocity should be easier on the action and barrel. Just a thought :lol:

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
welcome to the Forum jeepster.
yes they're basically the same except for bore.
many will say as you think that the M30 will do better for hunting than the .223. not that it won't do the job with good placement but there are 150 gr bullet weights avaialble for the X39.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Thanks everyone this confirms the thoughts and info I had. Now to find one cheap!!!!
do yourself a favor and save up for a 581 series. they seem to be the most accurate of the mini 30s

I've had good results with Silver bear for cheapo ammo,
and good results with federal powershock soft point for a hunting ammo.

7.62x39 has similar ballistics to the tried and true 30.30 cartridge.

x39 should perform well on a deer sized target out to 175 yards - so perfect your stalking technique, and make sure you get in close enough to ensure a clean kill. a stock 581 mini 30 should be accurate enough to do the job humanely out to this range
This is my bush gun for axis deer, feral pig and feral goat.
for open county hunting I intend to use my Savage 110 in .270.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Only thing I can add to that is when I ordered a new extractor and extractor plunger for my Mini-14, I found out that the exact same part is used on both the Mini-14 and Mini-30. That was from the MidwayUSA site.
Hi Wingspar,

A bit of clarification...the plungers are identical, NOT the extractors. :)
Both Ruger and Midway have different PN's for the extractor...MS01400 & MS01403. The case bases are different diameters...the 30 being almost 2mm larger.

Ed

·
Registered
638 Posts
Do you know if the trigger groups are interchangable?

Thanks.
Hi LittleBill,

The answer is...almost. As best I can tell, they are the same except for the magazine well guide fingers. The 30 is a bit wider than the 14 so, I suppose a 30 T-group will fit a 14 but the magazine would be only guided by the stock inlet. The converse, a 14 T-group in a 30, I don't believe, will work.

Ed

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hi LittleBill,

The answer is...almost. As best I can tell, they are the same except for the magazine well guide fingers. The 30 is a bit wider than the 14 so, I suppose a 30 T-group will fit a 14 but the magazine would be only guided by the stock inlet. The converse, a 14 T-group in a 30, I don't believe, will work.

Ed
+1^^^^ I'm pretty sure the Mini-30 trigger group will work in a Mini-14 but the Mini-14 would need a little work to fit the wider mags...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Wingspar,

A bit of clarification...the plungers are identical, NOT the extractors. :)
Both Ruger and Midway have different PN's for the extractor...MS01400 & MS01403. The case bases are different diameters...the 30 being almost 2mm larger.
Guess I've slept since then. I can't find parts on the Ruger site, but the extractors are different on the MidwayUSA site, and plungers the same. Even tho I remembered it incorrectly, it still didn't make sense that the extractors could be the same. Tho I do not have a Mini-30, I do have an AK-47, and the casings are drastically different. Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to remember it correctly this time. Dunce cap on. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts