Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new ? for ya. Yall really helped with the information before so here it goes. I have a friend who is a southpaw and was interested in a mini 14. I didn't think the ejection would be a major factor as the mini seems to launch the spent shells, but just checking. Thanks again.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Aside from the ejection issue (not quite sure about that myself) I think the mini is BETTER as a lefty gun.
The safety would be easier to get to (its on the left side of the trigger guard) and the op rod can be worked more easily with the support hand.
:beer:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stock Mini's absolutely LAUNCH fired shell cases...mine was sending them over 30 feet...and catching one in the face 2" after it left the chamber would not be a pleasant experience.

That being said, I have seen "wrongsiders" shooting standard mini-14's before, and I didn't see that they were experiencing any unusual problems.

The Ranch Rifle would be more of a challenge, as the shells are ejected sideways at about 4:00 from the rifle and they would probably be whizzing right past the eyes/face of a lefty.

Minor modifications could be made to keep shells out of your face and reduce the ejection force - I'd start with a smaller gas bushing (I recommend this modification 100% anyhow) and one of those rubberized shell deflectors.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
After hoisting my ranch mini lefty style, the brass should miss my face by 9" or 10". The safety glasses would be absolutely necessary as the right eye is exposed to some powder sometimes, and if you get fancy with tactical tactics, shooting from the hip could be painful. How ever a std mini fired normally, with shooting glasses on it looks like a go.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreed...gas blow is bad. Glasses a must.

I'm a right/right who usually grips rather high, and I've already had spent shells hit my wrist, forearm and elbow with my new ranch rifle, so perhaps I'm a little negatively biased on the matter right now. lol

Oh yeah...thanks for helping out with a great resource. Glad I found this place. I love tinkering with the mini's and hope I can offer something that all can benefit from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there, the only problem with being hit by brass is from my shooting bud sitting three chairs over on my left on the bench. Both of us have scoped ranch 14s. The S&B ammo gose right over my head. The Winchester 55fmj's will fall way shot-left shoulder/elbow area :rolleyes:
I shoot handguns righty, but I'am left eye dom, so long arms are shot lefty. The other centerfire rifle is a Marlin Camp 9 and that too has a strong ejector-brass piles about 10/12 feet over and about a foot back.
The centerline safty on both rifles are great. The Marlin's mag release is not centerlined, but with a little pratice....
Other than the M-1 Rifle, there aren't too many truly ambi rifles out there. Pre-safty lever guns?

scott

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys,
Hey, I shoot left handed and the mini has never bothered me. Can't see a damn thing past 10' without glasses, so I always have a pair on. Mines a stainless ranch and it works for me.
JWB:cool:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not left-handed, but my wife is and she has no trouble at all with my Mini-14. I don't know what's up with the guns of some of the others here who seem to have spent shells flying all over the real estate. My Mini ejects to the 2 o'clock position on the right, about six feet in front of the gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts