Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Not too my knowledge I was just checking one out about a month ago but then again this is California who knows what the hell there going to ban next, or even worse tax have you heard about the new ammo tax?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Humungus,
Yes indeed, the Mini 30 is legal in California. I have been thinking about buying lately. I will make a decision soon, as this rifle & the Mini 14 have been flying under the liberal radar screens. I am not sure however what I would expect from the 30? Do you guys have any opinion as to what to expect from this round compared to the .223 in terms of dense cover, vehicles, etc? Is rapid fire possible with accuracy using the larger round? Is penetration greater in a normal constructed house for example?

Thank
Larry

·
Registered
567 Posts
Most of this surplus ammo is designed to be shot in SKS & AK-47 weapons so I would imagine it has a bullet with a .311" diameter. The Mini-30 on the otherhand has a barrel which is .308" diameter. Nobody seems concerned with this situation. Sierra says they tried both combinations & found they works surprisingly well under the less than optimal circumstances. Just food for thought.

Good shooting
Bushwack

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 7.62x39mm round is supposed to be better penetrating thick cover, but the ballistics have some things to be desired - its not a very 'flat' shooting round. Also at long ranges it has significantly less velocity than a .223 round. Bill probably has more data and exact numbers, using his ballistic calculator.

If you're shooting at vehicles, you are probably in a very dangerous situation already. I'd probably be running. Penetration, again, depends a lot on your range.

G

·
I have a mini 14 which I like but I think i would have gotton a mini 30 because of the cheap ammo more power. But you can get off quick shots with the 14.:ar15:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I moved here to California (not of my own free will of course) back in September. I own a Mini-30. Before I moved out here I did lots of research to make sure I was legal. The Mini-30 is good to go out here as far as my research is concerned. The only thing I couldn't bring with me were my standard capacity magazines for one of my pistols.

Stu
:usa:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts